A shared passion. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
A shared passion.

Hello all Ferrari people,

My passion (obsession) for the Cavallino badge started about 10 years ago at the age of 18 or 19. What few people know is that my drive in life is fueled by my desire to some day own a 355B. My motivation through 6 years of collage was knowning that I would someday, before 30 was my goal, have the car of my dreams. If not for Enzo himself creating automotive sex on wheels so many years ago I probaly wouldn't have gone throught college. I owe my own livelyhood to Ferrari.

About 9 month ago I nearly bought a 1995 355B but the car was swiped out from under me as the financing was going through Maybe that was for the best at the time, although I SOOOOO wanted it and still do.

Understanding that impulse/uneducated buying is not a wise thing, I have come here to research and understand the beast and all aspects that come with ownership. My window for purchase is probably 6 months out, but who knows really. Life can change quick so I want to make sure I am ready when it becomes time.

What I hope to gain here is the knowledge of what I am getting myself into and learning what is possible and what is unrealistic when it comes to wrenching on my future car. I have a vivid understanding of the potential maintanence costs of ownership but I want a complete understanding. I have the mechanical ability, attention to detail and passion for the cars so I have no doubt that I would be able to perform the majority of the maintance myself.

Thanks to those who read through this and I am excited to learn.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Welcome to the forum!

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #3 of 15 Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Steve, take a look at the F355 Buyers Guide on the members section of the forum, and read the many threads that are available about the F355, ownership experience, etc

and welcome to the forum

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

post #4 of 15 Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have been diving into my research phase pretty heavy. From what I have gathered the engine out 30k maintanence isn't really that hard for an experience mechanic. It's all relative I guess but the more I read the more comfortable I am that I could handle all maintanence and non-enternal engine repair. Sound like that would cut the out of pocket cost of R&M dramatically.

The other main concern initially is the purchase of the vehile. From what I have gathered, I should be able to aquire a well maintained, driven (~30k miles or so) F355 GTB for under $60K.

I am quite excited even though I know I am a ways away from actually being ready to purchase. I can almost hear the engine now.....
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Steve you certainly have the passion..lol..

You are doing the right thing by doing your home work on the 355 the more you learn the better off you will be.

Just a suggestion and not because I am bias but did you ever consider the 348 it is a way more friendly car to work on yourself with less major mech problems.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #6 of 15 Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Steve you certainly have the passion..lol..

You are doing the right thing by doing your home work on the 355 the more you learn the better off you will be.

Just a suggestion and not because I am bias but did you ever consider the 348 it is a way more friendly car to work on yourself with less major mech problems.
Hey Night Life,

I have considered the 348, but the 355 is what I have always wanted. I have an emotional bias for the 355 honestly. I still have a lot of learning ahead of me but I have already heard conflicting opinions on the 348/355 benifit/tradeoff.

The passion is here for sure... just ask my girlfriend who has already accepted my obsession.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Steve, The F355 was my 1st Ferrari. Still have very fond memories of it. Welcome to F-Life and good luck with yoru search.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Same as Boxer, F355 was my first intro Ferrari. I was introduced to it based on the sales talk that it is a reliable, "modern" Ferrari. Owned the manual F355 for over two years and have no regrets. However, my interest shifted to older models since. Happy search. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 15 Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
The F355 is my first f-car .......... my other choices were the 360 and 512TR ............... coming from tons of p-cars ...... I was tired of the roundness ... so that eliminated the jellybean 360 ....... the 512 had tons of torque but felt very heavy around turns ........... so the 355 was it !!! It had great acceleration ....... the looks which are very proportioned and wedge like, which has always drawn me to f-cars ........... then the glorious sound topped it off for me !! I believe only an F40 will take me away from it .....
post #10 of 15 Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothspeed View Post
The F355 is my first f-car .......... my other choices were the 360 and 512TR ............... coming from tons of p-cars ...... I was tired of the roundness ... so that eliminated the jellybean 360 ....... the 512 had tons of torque but felt very heavy around turns ........... so the 355 was it !!! It had great acceleration ....... the looks which are very proportioned and wedge like, which has always drawn me to f-cars ........... then the glorious sound topped it off for me !! I believe only an F40 will take me away from it .....
Be careful trying an F40 then. It is highly addictive. All the positive of the F355 plus quite a bit of lunacy thrown in on top.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Oz is glued to his 355!

Welcome F355Steve.

There are many cars for sale and if you take your time you'll find a nice one.

Oz is very 355 savy and most surely will help you understand the car to steer you in the right direction.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

It looks as though I will be very lucky in my timing and will be able to take advantage of a buyers market over the next year. From what I have read the large number of people are trying to get out of 360's with the economy taking a crap, driving those prices down and will have a ripple effect on the 355.

I am excited about my prospects.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355steve View Post
It looks as though I will be very lucky in my timing and will be able to take advantage of a buyers market over the next year. From what I have read the large number of people are trying to get out of 360's with the economy taking a crap, driving those prices down and will have a ripple effect on the 355.

I am excited about my prospects.
Not so sure on the prices. 360s and 550 have dropped but F355 prices (at least in Europe) have held pretty firm.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Welcome steve! As you might expect I think you're absoluty right about the 355!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis355 View Post
Welcome steve! As you might expect I think you're absoluty right about the 355!
Can't imagine why you would say that!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode