Another new Canuck member - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Another new Canuck member

Hi everyone!

I've been a car nut and a Ferrari fan since I first started hanging out in my dad's work shop at the tender age of 4. I've owned and restored several North American muscle cars over the years and still have one in my garage(that I bought 30 years ago).

I've reached the end of payments on a rather expensive divorce and now that I'm in the plus column, I'm looking to add a 308 to the garage over the next year or two. I've gathering quite a bit of technical info off the net since I'm a hands on guy and like the tinkering aspect of the hobby as much or more than the driving aspect!

I appreciate being able to be part of the forum and look forward to lots of great conversations!

Regards,
Voicemaker (Grant)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicemaker View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been a car nut and a Ferrari fan since I first started hanging out in my dad's work shop at the tender age of 4. I've owned and restored several North American muscle cars over the years and still have one in my garage(that I bought 30 years ago).

I've reached the end of payments on a rather expensive divorce and now that I'm in the plus column, I'm looking to add a 308 to the garage over the next year or two. I've gathering quite a bit of technical info off the net since I'm a hands on guy and like the tinkering aspect of the hobby as much or more than the driving aspect!

I appreciate being able to be part of the forum and look forward to lots of great conversations!

Regards,
Voicemaker (Grant)
Welcome to the forum Grant! Good luck with the 308 dream

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #3 of 13 Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Hi Grant and welcome...

West and North AKA Northwest. I have never had the pleasure of visiting your area. My minds eyes says its spectacular and a must see/experience. Good luck on your 308 endeavor. There are lots of them out there that need a good tinkerer to bring them back where they belong.

Where does the voicemaker moniker come from? Are you in the Audio business?

Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

post #4 of 13 Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome and well wishes guys!
The Edmonton area is just south of our now famous tar sands. A good Alberta comparison might be that for about 60 years we have been a kind of a Texas north...but with the Rocky Mountains flanking one entire side of our huge province.
My voicemaker moniker does come from the audio biz. I'm a voiceover guy and have my own recording studio where I produce radio, tv, multi-media audio.
Hey Lane, next time we're visiting Uncle Tony and Aunt Anna in Detroit I'll give you a call
Grant
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao and welcome

Hey neighbor hows the ED

I'm next to ya and down a bit in good old Regina

Say what was with that semi driver a few days ago?, coo koo..

Good luck with your search.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi Grant and welcome!
As a hobbiest you will love the 308! Very easy to work on once you get past the fact that you can never get to the part you want without removing some other part first. Kind of like peeling the layers off an onion. I recommend a '79 or earlier which is prior to the fuel injection. The carbs are something you can tinker with, the fuel injection either works or it doesn't and is expensive to replace. (Although I've never heard of one going bad). You might take a look at the GT4 also.

BTW - when you are in Detroit, don't bother calling Lane to see if he wants to meet up for lunch. Detroit is like a 13 hour drive from Connecticut. Call Chris, he lives in Detroit.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I'd take your call anyway

I was was looking for a nice way to point that out. Thanks Pete

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #8 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Oops! Sorry I got Lane and Chris' locations backwards! Speaking of distances, it's about 7 hours at (70 mph) due south just to reach the Montana border from my location in the great white north! I saw an interesting classified on the site for a 308 in Florida but it's a 7 day drive one way from here!
Grant
post #9 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for another vote of confidence on my 308 search! We did have an amazing semi crash on a hugely busy 8 lane highway last week that looked like an scene out of a Bond film! Apparently the driver was a diabetic, went into a coma at the wheel, drove through 40 kilometres of ONCOMING 4 lane traffic, finally hit a cement guard rail on an overpass which sent the entire rig airborne. It landed on train tracks below. There was a huge fireball and it was caught on film by another motorist. The driver was amazingly the only fatality!
Grant
post #10 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicemaker View Post
Thanks for another vote of confidence on my 308 search! We did have an amazing semi crash on a hugely busy 8 lane highway last week that looked like an scene out of a Bond film! Apparently the driver was a diabetic, went into a coma at the wheel, drove through 40 kilometres of ONCOMING 4 lane traffic, finally hit a cement guard rail on an overpass which sent the entire rig airborne. It landed on train tracks below. There was a huge fireball and it was caught on film by another motorist. The driver was amazingly the only fatality!
Grant
How awful

I read where a woman driving a new BMW barely escaped with her life..

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #11 of 13 Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
welcome and good luck with that 308 wish, great looker...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #12 of 13 Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Welcome!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
welcome =)

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode