Car nut in PA - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Car nut in PA

Hello everyone,
I'm relatively new here. As the title states I'm a car nut in the fullest sense of the word. Been into cars for as long as I can remember, and even decided to go to college based on that (attending Kettering university majoring in automotive engineering). I'm 22 and just getting started in life, so my finances don't really permit me to live out all my automotive dreams just yet, but I'm currently driving a 1973 Porsche 911 that is on its way to becoming a vintage racer (my actual daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee but it's in the shop now, so the Porsche is filling in).
The real automotive crown jewels though are with my dad. Through high school he and I restored/modified/worked on a 1955 Jaguar (that's about half 1961 Jaguar E-type, and quite a few new/upgraded parts). Last summer he bought a Bentley Arnage, and now in the process of buying a 1999 550 Maranello (we are going to pick it up this weekend so I'm pretty excited. Will start off with a 6 hour drive from Atlanta to Amelia Island where my parents live).
I really have a passion for just about anything with 4 wheels and an engine (Toyotas, Hondas and their like mostly excluded), Especially older american stuff (50s-60s), almost anything British (LOVE rolls, bentley, jag, aston martin), and of course fond of Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche (Merc and BMW don't do a whole lot for me...). All cars just have such a different character. My brother has a 66 Corvette, and considering that in some way or form that, the Jag, and the Porsche are all "competitors" it's amazing how much differently they go about doing basically the same thing.
I've always liked Ferraris to some extent, but I really fell in love with them in 2004. I lived in Carson City, Nevada at the time and drove out to the Monterey Historic Races and had the rare privelage of watching an entire class of 250GTO's actually RACING. I doubt I will ever hear such a sweet sound again in my life (17 GTO's on-track and haulin!) . Shortly thereafter I was subjected to the otherworldy wail of the 2003 Ferrari F1 car taking to the track for some demo laps, and as Ferrari was the featured marque that year I got to see up close and personal a whole variety of classic Ferraris. Anyone here that hasn't experienced vintage racing should really look into it. All open pit, and the majority of teams/drivers are very personable. Not that often I get to be seriously up-close and personal with $10million cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao and welcome

That's a great thread like us you are an enthusiast and seem to have passion
for the finer autos offered out there I would like to see some pics of your 911
is it the 2.5L or the 2.7L carbed or fuel injected let us know and welcome.:thumbup:

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
The Porsche is the 2.4. I think in 74 they switched to the 2.7 (excluding the RS in 73). It is "CIS" Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection. Runs pretty well, no rebuilds or anything that I'm aware of. Want to take the FI all apart and clean everything up some, plus just "fiddle" with it. However being my daily driver I'm pretty timid about doing anything that could make it not driveable, so gotta wait till I get my Jeep back and "done". It's on the chart to eventually be a SVRA vintage race car, so slowly transforming to that setup, already has a roll bar, racing seats, harnesses. An absolute hoot to drive even if it's only 140HP.
Can't wait to get some driving time in with the 550 this weekend. I've never driven a Ferrari (been on my "to-do" list for a while!)

post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Great first post!!! You definately have what it takes to have a little fun and share some experiences on this site! Welcome!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Welcome!
Let us know all about the 550

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode