Hello from New England - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Hello from New England

Hey everyone,
My name is Kurt. I'm 23 years old and currently trying to get into med school for this fall. I got my pre-med bachelors from the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine. I'm actualy here to do research for my dad who is in the market for an exotic. I want him to get in to Ferrari but he doesn't know much about the brand becides the obvious. I'm a huge Ferrari fan, but would always like to know more. I'm trying to get him into a 348 or 355 spider. He is looking at new Porsche Carrera 4's and Cabriolets. Anyway, glad to be here.

Thanks,
Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi Kurt and welcome. I'm a fellow Mainiac myself. My In-Law's live right across the river from where you went to school. The exotic market in Maine is small, but it is there. I know of about 10 Ferraris in the Southern Maine area, there are probably more those are just the ones I know of. As you get out into the greater New England area the number grows exponentially. One of the reasons I got a Ferrari was for the fact that the car is somewhat rare and it is an attention getter. I have a lot of fun driving it around. I've had a lot of other cars where people would look over and say, "Nice car." but the Ferrari is the only one where people want to get their picture taken next to it.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 19 Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastKurt View Post
Hey everyone,
My name is Kurt. I'm 23 years old and currently trying to get into med school for this fall. I got my pre-med bachelors from the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine. I'm actualy here to do research for my dad who is in the market for an exotic. I want him to get in to Ferrari but he doesn't know much about the brand becides the obvious. I'm a huge Ferrari fan, but would always like to know more. I'm trying to get him into a 348 or 355 spider. He is looking at new Porsche Carrera 4's and Cabriolets. Anyway, glad to be here.

Thanks,
Kurt
Good luck you have a lot of work to do in helping your dad make a decision,
there can be quite a gap in prices between the 348 & 355 that should be your first question to answer is what price range once that is established then you can start to narrow down your choice. If this is his first exotic make sure you do your homework and find out about all the little quirks that comes along in owning an exotic most newbies have this over the top delusions of grandeur about the exotics such as a Ferrari and when they finally drive one they are very disappointed with there experience. You have to get to know the car and history to really appreciate it then your enjoyment will be rewarded.
Now if I can help make up your dads mind, here you go...............
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Hi Kurt and welcome. I'm a fellow Mainiac myself. My In-Law's live right across the river from where you went to school. The exotic market in Maine is small, but it is there. I know of about 10 Ferraris in the Southern Maine area, there are probably more those are just the ones I know of. As you get out into the greater New England area the number grows exponentially.
Actualy, I live in southern New Hampshire right on the Mass boarder. I just went to school in Maine because I fell in love with the school. I've also spent most of my life in Maine as well. We have a vacation home up on Sabego. Anyway, our search will take us pretty much all over New England for the right car. Thanks for the warm welcome.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Good luck you have a lot of work to do in helping your dad make a decision,
there can be quite a gap in prices between the 348 & 355 that should be your first question to answer is what price range once that is established then you can start to narrow down your choice. If this is his first exotic make sure you do your homework and find out about all the little quirks that comes along in owning an exotic most newbies have this over the top delusions of grandeur about the exotics such as a Ferrari and when they finally drive one they are very disappointed with there experience. You have to get to know the car and history to really appreciate it then your enjoyment will be rewarded.
Now if I can help make up your dads mind, here you go...............
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, this will be my dad's first exotic, but there we have had a few in the family. A gentleman (who is now my uncle) is from England and he is an old F3 racer and F2 Test driver for Williams. His stable included some pretty impressive 911's, but he traded them all to a friend of his (including $30,000 share stock in his company) for a 1979 911 (930) twin turbo. The cool thing is that this isn't an ordinary 911. It has a full race spec engine from the factory (bigger turbos, better exhaust, etc) and the racing suspension. Apparently there were only 100 of them made for that year. It was dynoed at 550 wheel horsepower. It's great, when he goes down the gearbox flames shoot out of the pipes. Classic 70's race tech...huge turbos, wide tires, light cars.

But back on topic, we're fairly familiar with all the little things of owning an exotic. We understand that it's not just owning a car, it's a life style. But so are any of the other toys really, like our boats, motorcycles, etc. So we sholdn't be completly out of our league. But, we are talking Ferrari here. God I just get excited thinking about the possibilities...

Thanks for the welcome!
post #6 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Greetings from 'Old' England.
I don't want to knock Porsche because they are great cars and I would love to have a 997 C4S as my daily driver. They are ultra strong, reliable, quick and good looking, but they are common too. I bet most of us will see at least 10 Porsches every day (there are two on my parking lot at work !!!!).
If you want a real exotic that will get you noticed, go for the Ferrari, it doesn't really matter which model - 328/348/355/360 even 512 TR or 550M.
I can often go for weeks, even months without seeing another Ferrari on the road. When I'm out in mine, people always wave, smile, flip the bird - whatever, it draws attention. Not that I bought it for that, I wanted a Ferrari from the age of 9 yrs old because the name conjoured up the magic of an unrivalled racing pedigree and exclusivity. You can't get that from a Porsche. Even now, after 2 yrs of ownership it puts a huge smile on my face when I get behind the wheel or even when I think to myself, I own a Ferrari.

Archie
post #7 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
When I'm out in mine, people always wave, smile, flip the bird - whatever, it draws attention.
Archie,
The people that do the first two are the ones who don't know you.

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
2 shay

(I "no habla" french, so it stands to reason I can't type it either.)

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #9 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Lane,
Touché is the word you are looking for. "Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or the success or appropriateness of an argument, an accusation, or a witty point." I know this because you have to remember that half of us Mainers are French-Canadians who moved south because we couldn't stand the cold up north.
Hahaha! Ole' Arch ain't got nothin' on me!!

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Oh really...then what is a Douché (do Shay)

(you set'em up, I'll knock'em down)

On re-read...sorry, thats over the top. Sometimes you've just got to walk away Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #11 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Oh really...then what is a Douché (do Shay
(you set'em up, I'll knock'em down)
LMAO

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #12 of 19 Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Owner

Quote:
Archie,
The people that do the first two are the ones who don't know you.
Pete, the worrying thing is that it's my mum and dad who flip me the bird

Archie
post #13 of 19 Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Pete, the worrying thing is that it's my mum and dad who flip me the bird
Ah, don't worry about that, it's a natural instinct. In 30 or 40 years you'll be doing it to your kids.

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 19 Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Ah, don't worry about that, it's a natural instinct. In 30 or 40 years you'll be doing it to your kids.
Give it a couple of years and my 5 yr old son will be doing it to me

Archie
post #15 of 19 Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Give it a couple of years and my 5 yr old son will be doing it to me
Hopefully Archie it will be soon while you're still young enough to do something about it.
Show him how much it hurts when you grab the offending finger and give it a good twist. That will teach him some respect by God!
10 more years you'll think twice about grabbing that finger and you'll want to sit the boy down and try to figure out why he feels that way and how to reason with him.
15 more years and you just give him what he wants because you both know he can take you.
30 more years and he is mature enough to know not to pick on old, helpless people and then that's when you start flipping him the bird!

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 19 Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Owner

Pete, sounds like you're really saying it's all down hill for me now

Archie
post #17 of 19 Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Pete, sounds like you're really saying it's all down hill for me now
I'm just giving you a hard time, as always, you are in the prime of your life, you have reached a point where you have money and success and maturity enough to please both yourself and your family and friends. All your life you've dreamed of being where you are now and you finally made it. There are a lot of people out there who will never achieve what you have and you are still young enough to enjoy it all.
But have you noticed a little something at work, twenty years ago you'd sit around the lunch table with your coworkers talking about girls and drugs and what the plans for the weekend were and now these days you sit around the lunch table with your coworkers and you discuss cholesterol levels and dietary habits and other health issues? Yeah, now you start to think about preserving what you've got. You don't have to ever grow up, but you do have to grow old. You and I are both a little over halfway towards the average life expectancy.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 19 Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
I'm just giving you a hard time, as always, you are in the prime of your life, you have reached a point where you have money and success and maturity enough to please both yourself and your family and friends. All your life you've dreamed of being where you are now and you finally made it. There are a lot of people out there who will never achieve what you have and you are still young enough to enjoy it all.
But have you noticed a little something at work, twenty years ago you'd sit around the lunch table with your coworkers talking about girls and drugs and what the plans for the weekend were and now these days you sit around the lunch table with your coworkers and you discuss cholesterol levels and dietary habits and other health issues? Yeah, now you start to think about preserving what you've got. You don't have to ever grow up, but you do have to grow old. You and I are both a little over halfway towards the average life expectancy.
Pete, you are so right

Archie
post #19 of 19 Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah Archie, you've got everything going for you. So I just want to be that voice that brings you back down to earth. Right now have control of everything in your life, including your little monster that runs around the house ruining all your things, but someday, in a few short years from now, there will be a turning point in your life. This kid's gonna get bigger and he'll do something to really piss you off and you'll want to raise a hand against him but you'll be too scared to because you know in your heart that in a fight he can kick your ass. When that day comes...........You'll think of me.

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode