Hello there! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Hello there!

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting a 348 (preferably a ts). I'm mainly looking at the earlier models, mostly due to price considerations however the reliability issues I've read about have me second guessing that. I have found a few cars with potential but I fell like I am missing out on some main form of Ferrari resale advertising so if anyone knows the best place to find listings please let me know. Also, if anyone has any general advice about purchasing one's first Ferrari please share it. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Welcome. Some advice from another recent first time Ferrari owner.

Read as much info as you can about all F cars, not just the 348, read up on 308's, 328's even 355's. Best place to start is the Buyers Guide section on this forum.

The internet also carries a wealth of reviews on all kinds of things, so use it.

Ask members on the forum lots of questions

Go to visit as many independent dealers (or official dealers if they stock cars that old) and ask them lots of questions. Most reputable dealers will help you even if you aren't ready to buy today. They know that if they look after you now, you'll come back when you are ready.

If you want to know ASK

Archie
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Welcome to the site. I agree with Archie, start with the Guides and read the gamut of the V8s. Then start asking more specific questions as it relates to cars you see and we will be happy to offer advice.

Hope you enjoy the site.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch guys. I've read the 348 buyers' guide and now I'm ready for the 328. Then I'll go with the 308 (maybe I'll catch the Magnum P.I. bug...I have been sporting a mustache for the last few months).
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Hey Pettit
You wouldn't happen to be from the world of Hockey...would you?

Anyway, I just bought my first Ferrari....She's a magificent 348 Ts SS. I'd be happy to answer questions regarding my research prior to buying, or any other questions if I can for that matter.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Hey Pettit
You wouldn't happen to be from the world of Hockey...would you?

Anyway, I just bought my first Ferrari....She's a magificent 348 Ts SS. I'd be happy to answer questions regarding my research prior to buying, or any other questions if I can for that matter.
sorry, not from the hockey world.

I love the Serie Speciales for so many reasons...the matching skirts along with what seems to be a vastly improved reliability record for a start. however, they seem to be just out of my price range at the moment. I would love to know if you have any good web links to finding used 348s and information about the model that isn't easily found elsewhere. After reading the buyer's guide I feel much more knowledgeable about 348s but, like i said, it makes me even more apprehensive about buying an earlier model that could potentially turn into a money pit overnight. I would also appreciate any insight you have as to why you chose the Serie Speciale (other than the obvious i suppose).

thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I found the reliability of 1993 or higher very comforting but I never really loved the the Spider versions lines. GTS's and GTB's were very hard to find. This mean't the SS was the only car for me. I looked at 4 but fell in love with one in Texas. Shipping was more expensive than I thought.

Enough about my baby, lets get one for you. I found the www.Autotrader.com site very helpful although I did not find my SS there. You can set up searches for any model, distance, multiple cars, and other nice features. The site can also be set up through a login to notify you by email when a new 348 (or whatever you are searching for) comes on the market.

I did find a few 348's through other sources like www.ferrariclubofamerica.org but quickley discovered that the slower posting times of that site mean't the cars were sold before I could call. Another site that seems to have a lot to look at is www.luxcarnet.com I caution you about them. They are a remote broker that does not ever see the car they are selling. When you call them, they get basic info for you but need to establish a brokerage deal with the seller before you get specifics. I wasn't crazy about that style.

A site you should be aware of if you end up with a 348 is http://www.club348.com/ AL kinds of very useful info in the technical section.

Good luck
Let me know if theres anything else I can help with

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks a whole bunch. I've been looking on auto trader (but didn't know about the e-mail alert function) and cars.com but now i'll have to check out the other sites too

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode