New Members Introduction - Page 3 - Ferrari Life
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 253 Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182Trophy View Post
Oh congratulations! My wife is expecting also in November! Our second child, my Son has just turned 3 but I don't quite think he understands the inheritance side of things just yet! We bought the RS4 in February 2007, and I would recommend it to anyone, as it just does everything so very well. Mine is a Saloon though, but it is still big enough for our requirements. I would also recommend the Twin Turbo 2.7 RS4 (the older version) as this only came in estate form so I do think this would also suit a family of similar size to ours plus its cheaper than the new V8 and it has completed most of its depreciation already.
Before we got the RS4, we part exchanged the 996 Carrera 4S for it, this too is a great car, the 911 is a fantastic car to own no matter what variety you have. What cars have you looked into purchasing other than the RS4/S4/911?
Congrats to you and your wife too
The older RS4 version's probably a bit too old for me. I did consider a 2004 S4 saloon a couple of weeks ago, it was quite reasonably priced, but in truth I think I'd miss my convertible. I've had 7 in the last 15 yrs, plus a few sports coupes, but I normally get rid of them fairly quickly and go back to a soft top.
My wife would like me to get a family car, as I've got one poseurs car parked in the garage, I need to get a sensible one. I really don't want an SUV or any diesel car, and it must be sporty, that's what keeps bringing me back to an Audi Avant (petrol of course).
Whatever I buy as a daily driver, it has to be German (build quality, reliability, status symbol....etc)
I've had BMW coupes in the past, great cars, but complete tossers at the dealers, arrogant and patronising. They must have the easiest job in the world, the cars sell themselves as everyone wants to be a BM owner. That's the main reason why I switched my loyalties to Audi back in 2003.
There are of course Mercs, in my opinion (excluding SL's and AMG) they are too old mannish for me and don't inspire me.
As for Porsche, I've wanted a 911 for almost as long as I wanted a Ferrari (30 yrs). 996 C4 cabriolet would be perfect.
However, I've told myself that I've got to wait at least 12 months inorder to get a bit more value out of the A4, as it probably won't lose much more in the next 12 months.

You've got a great garage of cars, how did you end up with the 430 and the RS4, when you could have chosen from Gallardo's, Ford GT's, 997 Turbo's, M5's, M3, any AMG Merc?

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 253 Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Have heard this story before. My youngest son has already claimed the F40. Actually refers to it as "our" car.
If I had an F40, the little chap would probably be plotting a way to bump me off now !!!!!!!

Archie
post #43 of 253 Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
I took out a Ford GT, 360 CS, Gallardo SE and an SL65 AMG before I took the plunge and bought the F430. The Ford really did'nt impress me too much, I don't like its looks and it was uninspiring compared to the Italians. The Challenge Stradale was amazing, perfect; no other words can describe it. It was just a bit too hardcore for what I was looking for at the time, I have no doubt that I will own one in a few years time though as it is the best car I have ever driven. The Gallardo SE was brilliant also, the best looking by far, but you feel strangely disconnected with the steering compared to the F430. As for the SL65, gorgeous interior, immense power and so much torque but it struggled to put all that power down onto the road and all in all, it was'nt that good. Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to own a Ferrari, so it was a no brainer really when choosing the 430. My Dad used to have a 348 when I was growing up, and I used to love going out in that, then he swapped that for a 355, then onto a 360, now he has a 575 SuperAmerica, so I have kind of grown up with the Prancing Horse in the family.
As for the RS4, to us it seemed like the perfect family car. Inevitably the fuel economy is'nt good, but everything else is fantastic. Its reliable, very fast and quality oozes throughout the car. So 50,000 seems like a bargain when the car really is that good. I am intrigued to have a drive in the new BMW M3 when it arrives at the dealers as that could well tempt me away from the Audi brand as I used to have an M3 CSL which was superb. An M5 was appealing but my Parents have one as there daily steed so I wanted something a bit different. Hope this answers your queries!

post #44 of 253 Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Owner

Thanks for the insight, I totally understand why you have chosen, in your shoes I would probably have done the same. I love the Gallardo's looks too, if I'm ever fortunate enough to be in the market for a newish top end sports car, it would probably break my heart to chose between the Lambo and the f430.
Stick with the Audi, more understated and conservative than the BM, not so in your face and above all, it's not a BMW.
Have you driven the RS6 (old model) 480 BHP, 4WD, 4.2 twin turbo, if you go for the avant it's a supersonic hearse. Phenomenal car, a colleague had one for a while, but he had to sell it before he killed himself.

Archie
post #45 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Owner

Yes the RS6 is a great car, I have'nt driven one but I have been in the passenger seat a few times as a bloke who lives a few minutes away from me used to have a black one in 'Avant' form. He also owns an F430, and he got rid of the RS6 for an S6 Avant a few months back. It would be a great second hand buy as the prices are quite reasonable for them nowadays. The performance of them are incredible; for a car that weighs nearly 1900kg's it could embarrass many 911 owners. 0-60 in under 5 seconds, 100mph in under 12, an amazing machine.
post #46 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Yes the RS6 is a great car, I have'nt driven one but I have been in the passenger seat a few times as a bloke who lives a few minutes away from me used to have a black one in 'Avant' form. He also owns an F430, and he got rid of the RS6 for an S6 Avant a few months back. It would be a great second hand buy as the prices are quite reasonable for them nowadays. The performance of them are incredible; for a car that weighs nearly 1900kg's it could embarrass many 911 owners. 0-60 in under 5 seconds, 100mph in under 12, an amazing machine.
Yes they are phenomenal, my friend swapped his RS6 Avant for a 996 C4S because it was much tamer !!!!

Archie
post #47 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Owner

I loved my C4S, I've been lucky enough to own some truly brilliant cars but the C4S certainly comes in the top 10. It was in 'Guards Red' with the Sports Exhaust, a truly sad day for me when I got rid of it, but priorities change and that was a sacrifice I had to make. Audi gave us a great p/x price for it so it softened the blow! In my opinion the 996 C4S is better than the 997 C4S. It was such an easy car to drive quickly, so yes much tamer than the RS6, but thats to be expected really given the size and the power differences between the two.
post #48 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Owner

Having to part with the C4S can't be that bad, after all you have the F430, that must be pretty special?

My 328's an old girl now, but despite that, it's still a very special feeling knowing I've got a ferrari. Other cars are faster, better spec'd, more reliable...etc,etc, but they are not ferrari's and I won't feel the same about them as I do about my 328 (Unless of course I had a newer, faster ferrari !!!)

Next goal is to gather enough funds for an additional ferrari in 2 or 3 yrs time, toss up between 355 GTS, 512 TR and 512 BB.

Archie
post #49 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Owner

Yes but at the time when I got rid of the Porsche, I did'nt have the F430. The C4S felt special, and part of me still misses it. The F430 is amazing in every way. It looks beautiful; I sometimes find myself going into the garage just to have a sit in it when the weather is'nt too good! Sad I know, but its an ambition fulfilled! It is an amazing feeling, in fact one of the best feelings in the world when you finally have a Ferrari of any sort in your possession. When I bought mine from the dealer, I was apprehensive, nervous, excited all at the same time as it is a huge chunk of money to pay, but worth every single penny. I have bought expensive cars in the past, but a Ferrari is the pinnacle of what the motoring industry has to offer, no other car can beat the feeling that a Ferrari gives you. The noise, the drama, the never ending relentless power, and the thing I love the most when I drive mine is when I park it up and when I get back to it the swarms of people having a look at that glorious engine; having cars like these make other peoples days when they see one parked up or driving. I love it!
How long have you had your 328 for?
post #50 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Owner

What you've just written sums up my own experience of the Ferrari perfectly.

I've had the 328 since April 2006, I bought her from a well known independent in Matlock, Derbyshire. It took me 2 years of working & saving hard, but well worth the wait. In fact the wait was 20 yrs, I promised myself a 308/328 when I left school in the 80's.

Unfortunately, once you've had one you're addicted, so now I want another to keep the 328 company in the garage.

Archie
post #51 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Owner

I think maybe next year after my wife has given birth a 360 Challenge Stradale will be taking its place in my garage, I was so close to buying one before I got the F430, but my sensible side got the better of me. Have you ever drove any other Ferrari's other than your 328? The 360 CS is without doubt the greatest I have driven; just for the unbeatable noise vibrating through the cabin and the driver involvement, nothing can compare still to that drive I had in it. The one that I was tempted by was in Red with the Stripe and the Black Challenge Alloys that I believe the owner had powder-coated. It was stunning, the interior was all Red and Black Alcantara.
Its similar to me, I always wanted to own a Ferrari so much as my Dad had them and that set my obsession early on. I think you will be the around the same age as me then (28)?
post #52 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Owner

Quote:
. I think you will be the around the same age as me then (28)?
Oh I wish I was, I'm the wrong side of 30 and fast approaching 40

Archie
post #53 of 253 Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Hi im Rob, im not a new member but i am a returning one. It must have been a very long time since i actually posted here, i have been having PC trouble and lost all my favourites etc. but thats another story.

Im a Ferrari fan through and through, always have been always will be. Love the super Ferrari's, but i respect all f-Cars from Enzo to 400i. My name, 360 Spider derives from the first Ferrari i ever sat in, and it was the same Ferrari i had my frist passenger ride in, 160MPH was amazing!

Im back for a while, rekindling my love of Ferrari;s with the possibility of buying one eventually, im only 16, my target age is 25. At that time, im going to start with a Mondial, 400i or 308GT4, eventually moving on with the target of a V12 Ferrari; front or rear engined im not fussed. My passion is for F40's and F355's though!

Want to make more of a member of myself, not just a lurker!
post #54 of 253 Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Hi all,

Stuart from UK. Just began Ferrari ownership. 1986 328GTS Rosso/Crema.
Previous Lotus and tvr owner for many years. Finally have the car I always looked at!! Work for Jaguar so lucky to drive very nice cars - XKR especially.
Best Wishes all
post #55 of 253 Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Owner

Hi Stuart, I'm always pleased to see another brit on here as there aren't that many of us. Great choice of car, I have one too. Please post some pics.

Are you going to the Nat meet & concours on Sunday 1st July?

Archie
post #56 of 253 Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Owner

Thanks for the welcome,
I dont get time at the moment to get to any meets or gatherings. Only went to one TVR one last year!! family commitments etc etc. I will try to attach some pictures
Attached Images

post #57 of 253 Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Owner

Wow, it looks immaculate. The TVR looks great too, love the colour. I'm a big TVR fan too, hoping to get a Griff 500 next year as a bit of a weekend toy

Archie
post #58 of 253 Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent328 View Post
Thanks for the welcome,
I dont get time at the moment to get to any meets or gatherings. Only went to one TVR one last year!! family commitments etc etc. I will try to attach some pictures
Welcome. Smart looking 328. Which TVR is in the background ?
post #59 of 253 Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Owner

Thanks Guys,
TVR Tuscan II 4.0 'S'. Was lucky enough to have both in the garage until the new owner flew down from Scotland to pick her up last Friday evening. Fantastic car but never totally fell in love with it. All the stupid comments made about these cars when the factory closed has not helped the prices. So I wanted something that can sit in the garage, hardly used, but will not dump in value (well that's the theory anyway).
The 328 does appear to be a nice example. It has had very recent bodywork carried out along with all alloys refurbished. All stamps in the book and a cambelt service and A/C conversion completed on collection. It has 57k on the clock which doesn't really bother me as I feel its been used and looked after. I intend to replace a couple of very minor items in the cabin to finish it off but its lovely as it is!! (Although last night I was fiddling with the targa roof and I caught my wedding ring and chipped the paint!!!! that will teach me).
Stu
Attached Images

post #60 of 253 Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Kent,

Welcome to the site.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode