Hopeful future F430 owner checking in - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Hopeful future F430 owner checking in

Hi all,
New to the forum and looking to learn a bit more as I work toward finding the right F430. I'll be posting up a few questions but figured a quick intro and thanks in advance might be in order.

I'm a glorified computer mechanic who's first love was of the more greasy variety. I've been wrenching and lusting after anything sexy and fast since my 92 Dodge Stealth Turbo was my life in college. After a somewhat mundane period of Infinity G35 ownership I eventually graduated to a 996 turbo, then to my current e92 M3 DD/track day hoon. I've been fortunate enough to be part of a growing tech startup with good options and find myself in a position to fulfill almost every automotive enthusiasts dream of Ferrari ownership. I'm far from wealthy, but also know that I'd rather look back at the amazing memories of my passion than imagine what could have been.

All that said, I look forward to the insight and assistance you all may be able to provide, and hope that I might be able to return some of the favor in the future.

Cheers,
--Gene Crumpler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,200
Welcome Gene, and thanks for the mini-bio. Could you just fill out your profile a bit more, especially what part of the world you inhabit, so we can advise you better! From the cars you mentioned, I'm assuming you're somewhere in the US?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 11 Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks, just filled in some of the gaps. I'm in Austin right up the way from you actually.

Cheers,
--Gene C.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Welcome to the forum Gene.

I did a year of hard time in Corpus long ago.
Now the only reason I go to Texas is to change planes in Houston.....
;-)

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Welcome to the forum Gene.

I did a year of hard time in Corpus long ago.
Now the only reason I go to Texas is to change planes in Houston.....
;-)
David, you know if you pass through Houston, you have to let me know & I'll come out to IAH and buy you a brew of your choice.

Gene, same offer goes for you, and I expect reciprocity if I make it to Austin BTW, look up Brian Crall - he's forgotten more about Ferrari's than most of us will ever know, and he owns/operates an independent Ferrari service shop over there. He can probably tell you some things to watch for with the 430's when you get a PPI done. He "tolerates" engineers and other degreed people who do their own wrenching, and don't act like know it alls, so you're forewarned to check your ego at the door

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
John,
Thanks for the offer.
Just for that, I'll do a layover next time and come see the Skunkworks !! (the Houston division that is)

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Last edited by Killer58; 11-08-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Welcome to the forum. Good to hear your story. Any particular reason why you have settled on a 430?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
David, you know if you pass through Houston, you have to let me know & I'll come out to IAH and buy you a brew of your choice.

Gene, same offer goes for you, and I expect reciprocity if I make it to Austin BTW, look up Brian Crall - he's forgotten more about Ferrari's than most of us will ever know, and he owns/operates an independent Ferrari service shop over there. He can probably tell you some things to watch for with the 430's when you get a PPI done. He "tolerates" engineers and other degreed people who do their own wrenching, and don't act like know it alls, so you're forewarned to check your ego at the door
Thanks for the offer! I'll give you a shout if I'm in the neighborhood.
I'll definitely look up Brian, and don't worry no ego here, I'm around to listen and learn.

Cheers,
--GC
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Welcome to the forum. Good to hear your story. Any particular reason why you have settled on a 430?
Thanks much! The 430 is one of the two attainable F-cars I connect with. It's nostalgic along with the 360 as a bit of a dream car from when I was in my 20's. After a lot of research I've found it's pretty reliable as far as exotics go, and not really more complicated to work on than the 90's Japanese turbo cars I cut my teeth tearing apart, rebuilding, and tuning. The 430 also fits a niche for me as a track day car I can drive around town or on a cross country trip when I want to. It has more usability than a Lotus, more passion than a GTR or R8, more sport than an Aston or Jag, and just looking at one makes me feel like I'm 12 years old and it's my birthday or Christmas.

All that said, as a self-professed "car guy", if I don't take the chance to own/drive/enjoy a Ferrari while the means are available to me I feel like I'll look back and regret it.

Cheers,
--GC
post #10 of 11 Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by erthmeld View Post
Thanks much! The 430 is one of the two attainable F-cars I connect with. It's nostalgic along with the 360 as a bit of a dream car from when I was in my 20's. After a lot of research I've found it's pretty reliable as far as exotics go, and not really more complicated to work on than the 90's Japanese turbo cars I cut my teeth tearing apart, rebuilding, and tuning. The 430 also fits a niche for me as a track day car I can drive around town or on a cross country trip when I want to. It has more usability than a Lotus, more passion than a GTR or R8, more sport than an Aston or Jag, and just looking at one makes me feel like I'm 12 years old and it's my birthday or Christmas.

All that said, as a self-professed "car guy", if I don't take the chance to own/drive/enjoy a Ferrari while the means are available to me I feel like I'll look back and regret it.

Cheers,
--GC
Sounds pretty convincing to me - go for it!

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Sounds like me 10 years or more ago when I started looking for a 328, only thing is I did not know about Ferrari-life forum back then.

Cheers
Johan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Last edited by genade001; 11-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode