Hi from FL - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Hi from FL

So... I suppose this is my introduction.

When I was 6-7 yrs old, my uncle Terry took me to the movies - we saw "The Gumball Rally". I don't recall much about the movie, except a couple of details - the guys in the Mustang won the race, and I expressed great disappointed that the Ferrari driver did not; I was enamored with that car.

I still remember a quote, remarking on removal of the rear-view mirror: "Whatever is behind me, is of no concern."

Around age 10, I'd be sitting on the floor of his living room, reading Car & Driver, and Road & Track (he was a car enthusiast, and owned a Plum-colored 911)... the 308 became my dream, and at 46 years old - it still is.

About a year ago, finances were coming into place - and I knew I'd start shopping around now.

And then the market spiked. Suddenly, almost overnight, my dream of a 83-85 308 QV went from "I can almost write the check" to "my God, now I'll never have one".

In any case... though I may never own one, I do still love looking at images of your cars, reading about your maintenance routines, and dreaming that one day I'll finally own one.

Best to all.

Last edited by thorn; 01-17-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
Welcome to the forum Thorn.
Most of us can relate to your dream, and have experienced a similar situation.
I myself felt the same way a few years ago, and am now looking for my second one!
Good luck and sweet dreams!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Actually, it was a Shelby 427 Cobra that won Gumball with the 365 GTS/4 behind, minus its rearview mirror.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Ah! Thanks for that correction... I later learned it was a Daytona, but never realized the winner was a Cobra.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,500
Cobra, Mustang, what the hell - it's a Ford

Seriously, welcome to the forum. You could wait for the bubble to burst, or for your win on the lottery. Alternatively, instead of dreaming about a Ferrari you can't afford, buy one you can: maybe a Mondial or a 360?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Though the 308QV is certainly my favorite, the 355 is certainly a very close second... but I know my limits on maintenance budgets. I'm not in the camp that believes it's a time bomb, but I'm also not qualified to drop the engine and wrench it myself. If I did win the lottery (slim chance, as I rarely play), a 355 would be in my garage.

The 360 - I've gone back and forth for awhile over the years, but always felt i was trying to 'convince' myself it appealed to me just as much. I loved it in its early years, but it just hasn't - it's still lovely, but lacks that more aggressive styling of the 80-early 90's. Given the indecision, that in itself tells me it's not quite the right fit.

Perhaps it's heresy, but the Testarossa and 348 - I appreciate the styling, but isn't was my thing.

I think the right Mondial can be an outstanding value (a hidden gem of sorts in several ways), but I'm not really a convertible guy (and the couple lacks the image appeal of the convertible, for me.)

Hopefully the bubble will break a bit in the next 4-12 months - if it does, I have my investment banker on speed dial, ready to give the "Liquidate!" command.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode