What pray tell is Maranello Skunkworks? I searched but am clueless, and intrigued! Hopefully it is a team of owner enthusiasts who collaborate to fine tune/repair the 550?
Bingo - you got it in one, Sandy
It's Dave Burch (Ferraridriver), David (FluentinFerrari), and myself. We all own 550's and have developed a few upgrades/enhancements for them that either: 1) Maranello included with the 575M upgrade or 2) Maranello should have thought of, but didn't.
Some of these are:
1. Top shock mount mod to eliminate the metal to metal pillowball, which we felt had no place on anything but a full on racecar (now sold on to Rob @ DeltaV)
2. COP ignition conversion
3. HID low beam conversion
4. Steam purge line addition to cooling system
5. Elimination of OEM plastic pressure cap and upgrade to standard radiator cap
6. Switchable Steering ECU harnesses (aka Poorman's Manettino)
7. FHP or Custom Curved Steering ECU's
8. High capacity radiator/shroud/fans
9. Hydraulic front end lift
10. Remote trunk release