Hello from Boston, MA - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Hello from Boston, MA

Hi all,

I am new in this forum, which I found to be a great resource. I currently do not own a Ferrari yet, however, as many of us here, I am dreaming of owning one since I am a child and at age 36 with a steady and decent income I decided that time was come to accomplish this dream. I am French by origin, living in Boston, MA for 10y now, so excuse my not-so-perfect english!

A quick introduction about myself. I am not unfamiliar with the motor world. I started about 10y ago with vintage race 1980's motorcycles (Freddy's Honda CB) by restoring and modifying a Honda CB900F, including head porting, custom frame and swingarm, modern suspensions, flatslides carbs,... and the list goes on with at the end over 110 hp at the rear wheel.

I continued with a full engine rebuild/modification on a 1123 wiseco (no dyno yet).

3 years ago I started working more intensely on cars, in particular on my 2005 BMW E46 M3 where I did a good amount of work on the subframe and the engine.

Anyways, I am interested in getting a 308 GTB as I really prefer the smooth and stylish line of the coupe rather than the GTS. My feeling, looking at the 308 market is that if I don't buy one soon (within 1y or 2), I may never be able to afford one. Looking at how the prices went nuts on the the 206 / 246, and now on the 308 fiberglass, I am afraid that this trend may propagate towards the (thankfully) large production 308 series.

The purchase budget I am planning on committing is between 30 and 50k. I am not looking for the 100% perfect car. I have setup an order of preference for the condition of the car I would like to find:
1- Absolutely no salvage title and good record keeping. Has to be a GTB
2- As a hobbyist mechanic, I personally value the mechanical condition of the engine. Although always rebuildable, it is a pain, takes a while, and can become a money pit.
3- I would value the rust condition of the body. Here also addressable, but a money pit in perspective.
4- Preference carburated, then QV, then 2V, although frankly, I would take a 2V any second if it satisfies conditions 1,2&3 over a carburated or QV that don't meet all these conditions
5- Mileage around 40-50k. For a 40yo car, it seems the right mileage for a car that has been ridden properly. Higher mileage does not afraid me as long as conditions 1,2&3 are met.
6- Not renovated interior condition is completely fine.
7- Color rosso corsa preferred. Cars can be repainted.

If you know one for sale that would be close to these criteria, can you please send me a PM?

Cheers,

Sly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Sly- Welcome to Ferrari Life. My second Ferrari was a 308 GTS and I think you will really enjoy a GTB. I did all my own maintenance on mine and they are very easy to work on. Like you said, better buy one quickly, as prices continue to rise on just about all older Ferraris. Not that many GTBs out there compared to GTSs, 4140 total including glass ones, so might take a while to find a good one that is affordable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
Welcome, great bunch here, lots of knowledge and pre-purchase advice.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 961
Welcome!

You and I spoke not that long ago about a 308, as I recall...
GTBs, particularly decent cars are hard to find, but will keep an ear out for you.

Best,
David

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Sly- Welcome to Ferrari Life. My second Ferrari was a 308 GTS and I think you will really enjoy a GTB. I did all my own maintenance on mine and they are very easy to work on. Like you said, better buy one quickly, as prices continue to rise on just about all older Ferraris. Not that many GTBs out there compared to GTSs, 4140 total including glass ones, so might take a while to find a good one that is affordable.
Thanks! They are wonderful cars indeed, I think the last kind of their generation, and simple enough to work on them fairly painlessly

I am looking forward to find the good one! It does take some patience... that I don't have unfortunately... but I will find it.

Cheers,

S
post #6 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS Guitarist View Post
Welcome, great bunch here, lots of knowledge and pre-purchase advice.
Thanks! I agree, good amount of information & great community. Looking forward to participating more!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Welcome!

You and I spoke not that long ago about a 308, as I recall...
GTBs, particularly decent cars are hard to find, but will keep an ear out for you.

Best,
David
Indeed! It was about 2-3 weeks ago. You have a great memory!

I actually found one GTBi for $53k with 20k miles. However, all suspension bushings, CV boots, suspension themselves have to be rebuilt. Plus steering wheel is not original, seats have been redone (not close to perfection), and I believe the car has been repainted (although the owner says it has not). Overall, a little high for the condition, but more importantly, not a good trust relationship with the seller, so I passed. He also wasn't willing to negotiate at all.

What do you guys think?

Sly
post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Sly, welcome to FL.

Looking forward to hearing you finding your Ferrari. Envy for someone like yourself who has the knowledge and skills.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Sly- The GTBi would be on the bottom of my priority list, unless she is really nice. Guys like David are pretty good at pulling more hp out of the GTB/Si models, so not as bad as it once was, and they are very reliable. The US versions were kind of slugs compared to the carbed and 4 valve 308s originally, but not so much now after we have learned a few things over the decades.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Sly- The GTBi would be on the bottom of my priority list, unless she is really nice. Guys like David are pretty good at pulling more hp out of the GTB/Si models, so not as bad as it once was, and they are very reliable. The US versions were kind of slugs compared to the carbed and 4 valve 308s originally, but not so much now after we have learned a few things over the decades.
I agree with you. In fact, I enjoy doing my own engine work (probably over any other job on a vehicle), so adding EFI, grinding new cams, porting, timing are jobs I am familiar with. Given that GTBi are lower value in price, they might actually interest me more since besides the engine they are identical to other GTBs and I would rebuild the engine no matter what.
Regarding this particular GTBi, I feel that $53k would call for a very nice car where all suspension bushing would not need to be replaced. But I may be wrong. Besides, it became clear that the car was repainted when the owner claimed it was not.
The other problem is that the seller has his own issues and we were not able to develop a trust relationship, therefore I would not commit in buying his car.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
Sly, welcome to FL.

Looking forward to hearing you finding your Ferrari. Envy for someone like yourself who has the knowledge and skills.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy

I'll make sure to update with my findings. I am pretty much on a budget (50k max) so it may take a while to find one I'd like at that price.

Patience is the mother of all virtues they say!

Cheers,

Sly
post #12 of 15 Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_G View Post
Thanks Jimmy

I'll make sure to update with my findings. I am pretty much on a budget (50k max) so it may take a while to find one I'd like at that price.

Patience is the mother of all virtues they say!

Cheers,

Sly
Sly, seems like you have the skills and will to do your own works, which to me makes sense to search for the so called, salvage titled cars ? To me that looks like a viable option if a correct one comes by.

Recently, there was one for sale and the asking price was very reasonable. The car looked impeccable and I felt that owner kept his car in outstanding condition. Unfortunately, as soon as that phrase popped up, everyone got scared and people did not take the owner seriously. Nevertheless, the car did sell and I thought it was a good buy. I believe the car was a 348 ts (not sure).

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #13 of 15 Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Welcome and good luck with the ferrari! i would get on it though, they are quickly headed up!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Welcome and good luck with the ferrari! i would get on it though, they are quickly headed up!
I know... Checking every hour, every day on all sites I know of... Patience will pay off... I hope
post #15 of 15 Old 04-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 115
welcome Sly-G
Enjoy this forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode