New Member...hoping for better experience - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
New Member...hoping for better experience

Hello gentlemen,

I joined Ferrari-Chat a couple days ago. Posted my first thread inquiring about how to choose between f-cars and the first couple replies I received were just insulting - for no reason!

Hoping things here are more mellow-mannered. Aside from the hostility, you simply ask a question like "I am trying to decide between a 360 and a 550" and you get responses like "Just drive them" or "They are two completely different cars." Gee, thanks.

Don't get me wrong, there were several welcoming members, but as a whole - not so much.

-TK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
Welcome to the kinder, gentler place It's true, there are some real hecklers in the other crowd, and not so many here.

Some folks get real prickly when you ask a common question that's been discussed ad nauseam, so be sure to use the search function first.

The younger crowd doesn't seem to "get" that and only want answers without doing any work for them.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Welcome to the kinder, gentler place It's true, there are some real hecklers in the other crowd, and not so many here.

Some folks get real prickly when you ask a common question that's been discussed ad nauseam, so be sure to use the search function first.

The younger crowd doesn't seem to "get" that and only want answers without doing any work for them.
+1. Welcome to FL. Unfortunate that your experience was so, how should I say, ...raw ? I remember having similar encounters back then. No doubt there are many things to gain still, but my stance has been much like an observer rather than actively taking part. Sure can live without unnecessary confrontations.

Hope your encounters here are much more pleasant. :steering wheel:
After all, we are simply sharing our knowledge, experiences, and passions.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

post #4 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Ask away.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Ask away.
I agree - no stupid questions.

Went from a 612 to 430 & 360 and if it weren't from the guy above (not g-d Terry) would have never bought another Ferrari after the 612.

Thought about 599's FF 355's TR's 458S all over the place - as a car guy Ferrari models reflect the buyers check book and wants that day not a bad model has ever been produced - enjoy the place!

Personally - have never hit the search button.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #6 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I GREATLY appreciate the welcome. I do see folks from FC over here - which further supports that not everyone at FC are unpleasant. @Terry and @ Doug, I have read some really helpful feedback from you guys on multiple threads and I would like to say guys like you make forums worthwhile.

As for my situation, I will be able to afford my first car fairly soon (i.e. 430 Scud). What I have come to understand, and maybe you all can vouch for this, but dreaming for years of owning a special car and arriving to that event where you can make it happen is something truly climatic. BUT, when you have that money in your hands (or are so dang close) you start to think of things like "wow, maybe I should invest in my business or into income-producing property." Actually being able to afford your dream car changes original perspective.haha

Great advice on searching questions before submitting a new thread. I recently saw a post asking about the difference between a 550 and 575 that just set everyone off.haha.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Hi TK:

Welcome to Ferrari Life. Sorry to hear your invitation to converse about the distinctions between the 550 and 360 did not bear fruit on the other site. There is a lot seperating these two remarkable cars. For me the 550 embodies the classic Ferrari ethos of 12 cylinders up front, whereas the 360 embodies a more modern approach to the Super Car following suit with most other ultra high performance cars with the engine sitting in the back, and the aerodynamics designed to make full advantage of the mass shifter to the stern. I think you could have one of each in your garage and not tire of either. Not sure how I'd choose one over the other though.

Cheers

Enjoy the journey so much you don't care how long it takes to get there.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Owner

[QUOTE=430 Scud-Hero;534610]I GREATLY appreciate the welcome. I do see folks from FC over here - which further supports that not everyone at FC are unpleasant. @Terry and @ Doug, I have read some really helpful feedback from you guys on multiple threads and I would like to say guys like you make forums worthwhile.

As for my situation, I will be able to afford my first car fairly soon (i.e. 430 Scud).

Scuds aren't going anywhere buy when it's right for you - I do think they are under priced given they were designed and introduced by MS dripping in CF 500 hp CCB's titanium raw unlimited excitement with racing stripes.

FWIW - I am useless but glad you enjoyed!

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #9 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 Scud-Hero View Post
........ BUT, when you have that money in your hands (or are so dang close) you start to think of things like "wow, maybe I should invest in my business or into income-producing property." Actually being able to afford your dream car changes original perspective.hah.....................
Hi TK,

Welcome. I love the scuds but I agree with Doug that they are not going anywhere. There are enough guys like Doug looking after them that there will always be a decent one available.

IMHO it all depends upon where you are at financially and at what age you are. If you are asking yourself your above question, I would definitely either invest in your business or good property. Both of these will make you wealthier, whereas the scud won't. If you have enough money then have great fun with your scud.

There you go, another example of what a wowser I am.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #10 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Hi TK,

Welcome. I love the scuds but I agree with Doug that they are not going anywhere. There are enough guys like Doug looking after them that there will always be a decent one available.

IMHO it all depends upon where you are at financially and at what age you are. If you are asking yourself your above question, I would definitely either invest in your business or good property. Both of these will make you wealthier, whereas the scud won't. If you have enough money then have great fun with your scud.

There you go, another example of what a wowser I am.

David.
Oh Wowser!

Mine is not going for sale but if you want to share your 16M ...

Agree Scuds are plentiful but for how long below 200k as Turbo's become the norm - no argument about investing there is a lot to be said about bricks n mortar that show up for work 24/7 for 100 years.

Although a 50 yr old GTO has beaten the pants off of any like real estate investment.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Last edited by champagne612; 12-30-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Although a 50 yr old GTO has beaten the pants off of any like real estate investment.
It has indeed, and if I had bought one instead of my first flat 40 years ago, probably for about the same price, then I would now be worth a lot more than I am! It might, however, have been a little uncomfortable living in a 250GTO for 40 years: the advantage of real estate is that either you can live in it, or it gives you a running yield to live on, as well as capital appreciation. Now, if I had been able to afford the GTO AND the flat back in 1974 . . .

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #12 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 46
I too have joined recently, and my experience sadly for you was far above what you got. These guys are quite the chaps, and honestly have not met a bad egg yet. I'm sure one or two of them might have been having a rough day.

Don't take it personal. Welcome to Ferrari Life.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
As others said there is quite a bit of difference between a 550 and a 360. Having said that i have not personally driven the 550 but i feel it would be similar to other cars as such. I can only answer for me but when i bought my first ferrari i started out looking and saving and after about five years the model changed three times and i finally bought my 355. For me it was obvious none of the other cars at the time other than their super cars did it for me. I drove all that i was considering and the drive, feel, sound, maybe its easier to say whole experience of the one i picked was unbelievable. For me as i said it was all about the passion and the passion i found for my car looking, driving, or listening to it made it a slam dunk.

I think keep looking and saving and when you think you have enough saved start driving and if you are anything like me when you drive the correct modelfor what you r looking for it will be obvious.

For example my car is very low to get into, has wide side sills to step over, is quite loud, can not fit most golf clubs, has pop up headlights, is a hatd top and for me was perfect.

Now if ii would have been looking to drive to my office in a suit everyday, go golfing with a friend, drive at night a lot, or just take it out on nice sundays with a top down , it would not have been the car for me.

Just drive it and you should know if its the car for you. Both the 550 and the 360 do many things the same and many things differently. In the mean time keep looking thats half the fun. Remember the longer you wait the more you appreciate it.
post #14 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz355 View Post
As others said there is quite a bit of difference between a 550 and a 360. Having said that i have not personally driven the 550 but i feel it would be similar to other cars as such. I can only answer for me but when i bought my first ferrari i started out looking and saving and after about five years the model changed three times and i finally bought my 355. For me it was obvious none of the other cars at the time other than their super cars did it for me. I drove all that i was considering and the drive, feel, sound, maybe its easier to say whole experience of the one i picked was unbelievable. For me as i said it was all about the passion and the passion i found for my car looking, driving, or listening to it made it a slam dunk.

I think keep looking and saving and when you think you have enough saved start driving and if you are anything like me when you drive the correct modelfor what you r looking for it will be obvious.

For example my car is very low to get into, has wide side sills to step over, is quite loud, can not fit most golf clubs, has pop up headlights, is a hatd top and for me was perfect.

Now if ii would have been looking to drive to my office in a suit everyday, go golfing with a friend, drive at night a lot, or just take it out on nice sundays with a top down , it would not have been the car for me.

Just drive it and you should know if its the car for you. Both the 550 and the 360 do many things the same and many things differently. In the mean time keep looking thats half the fun. Remember the longer you wait the more you appreciate it.
Thank you Grant! That makes complete sense to me.
post #15 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
No problem. As i said before the journey for me was almost as fun as the ownership.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyTurtle View Post
I too have joined recently, and my experience sadly for you was far above what you got. These guys are quite the chaps, and honestly have not met a bad egg yet. I'm sure one or two of them might have been having a rough day.

Don't take it personal. Welcome to Ferrari Life.
@Zachary, I do agree. They were probably having a bad day. However, not a good first impression. I will say that there were a good number of responders who were very helpful and welcoming.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
New Member...hoping for better experience

TK, sorry about your initial experience at FCHAT. Welcome to a much more civil forum.

I own a TR and a 360. I can tell you that the TR, with the flat twelve, is a more visceral driving experience than the more civilized 360. I haven't driven a 550, but I suspect the 12 cylinder front engine car may combine the best of the two cars I currently own

My 360 is now 15 years old, has been problem free, original 3-pedal car and driven weekly. I enjoy the car immensely.

I got bored with the 360 monochromatic silver, so I added red stripes, black wheels, SS air boxes, and CF engine louvers. It was a lot cheaper than buying a new car and satisfied my ADHD.

Good luck. You have a tough, but interesting decision to make. I wish I could be of more help to you
post #18 of 31 Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Welcome. You have already figured out the difference between the two sites. please help us build this site and we will be pleasent in return!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #19 of 31 Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 Scud-Hero View Post
As for my situation, I will be able to afford my first car fairly soon (i.e. 430 Scud). What I have come to understand, and maybe you all can vouch for this, but dreaming for years of owning a special car and arriving to that event where you can make it happen is something truly climatic. BUT, when you have that money in your hands (or are so dang close) you start to think of things like "wow, maybe I should invest in my business or into income-producing property." .
Two short comments, values on Scuds are very stable and if anything will probably rise enough in the coming years to offset running costs. Scuds are the last and most developed of the 360/430 line. The F1 gearbox on the Scud is addictive and the best of the single clutch paddle boxes.

Life is about the experiences you have along the journey.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
I don't know much about the newer cars (when I bought my 1968 Ferrari about 15 years ago, my dad called it "that new Ferrari" - his is from 1955), but WELCME anyway!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode