Sticky solution? Comments / thoughts welcome - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
Sticky solution? Comments / thoughts welcome

So in my quest to find a solution to the sticky plastic problem I have researched many different avenues from sending parts out to "Sticky no more" to some home (And questionable) remedies. For the life of me I can't understand why Ferrari would use these products when there are so many better options on the market,.but mine is not to question why... mine is to come up with a work around. What I have found that works so far is 70% isopropyl alcohol on a microfiber rag will take off the sticky degraded plastic and leave the good plastic intact. This takes some serious scrubbing and you need to use a fresh spot in the rag with each pass. Now for the big question, once you have worked down to the good plastic, can you use a sealer like 22ple for plastic to keep it from degrading again? I have been unable to find anyone who has used a sealer on the plastic once it was stripped to determine whether or not this is a viable option or just an expensive temporary fix. I know that the alcohol fix by itself is a temporary solution and the stickiness comes back after a while is the plastic is left exposed. Theoretically, if the plastic were sealed and not exposed to the elements,it should not degrade. In closing, I am just trying to keep my center console tray from turning into the La brea tar pits again and swallowing my sunglasses. Any thoughts or personal experiences would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
It is not the plastic that is degrading, it is a "soft touch" coating they put on it. If you strip all the way to the plastic it will not return, but it will not look very good either.

If you strip all the way to the plastic it can be painted but if any of the coating remains you will just have another mess on your hands.

By the way, "Ferrari Discussion" would be a better place for a thread like this. Member Introductions is really just to introduce yourself.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Bob- Rob at Sticky No More can provide a permanent solution. He has done thousands of Ferrari and Porsche parts.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
bob you are in luck. sticky no more is in MD about an hour from you.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
Thanks Wet, For some reason I thought they were in C.A. I will give them a call. Also do you know a local shop that does tint? I am looking for 35% hybrid to cut down on the heat and hopefully prolong my dash leather.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
bob you are in luck. sticky no more is in MD about an hour from you.
Much, much closer than an hour away and he does great work I've been told.

Give Robbie a call; he's in Waldorf, very near you.

Sticky No More - Exotic Cars Interior Refinishing Services
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS Guitarist View Post
Thanks Wet, For some reason I thought they were in C.A. I will give them a call. Also do you know a local shop that does tint? I am looking for 35% hybrid to cut down on the heat and hopefully prolong my dash leather.
Check with Chris Bowen (owns the orange Lambo at Cars & Coffee)
I'll send you a PM with his contact info
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Bob- Rob at Sticky No More can provide a permanent solution. He has done thousands of Ferrari and Porsche parts.

Porsche parts too? I've never heard or even read about that on Porsches. I had my 360 switches "un-stickied" by NJB Automotive in Westerville, OH (excellent job, BTW) but I've never seen any indication of this issue on my '97 993 S. Out of curiosity, which Porsche(s) suffer this malady.

Cheers.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Not a Porsche freak, so not sure about model tags, but it was on the A/C panels on Porsches from around 2005. including the 987 Boxster and contemporary 911s. Not sure about earlier models. The 911 and Boxster used the same climate control panel.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode