Hello - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Hello

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. In the market for a 360 Modena. Quite simply, it is and has always been my dream car. I was born and raised in Fairfax, VA and have lived in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties, in VA (suburbs West of DC Metro area). I've always loved Ferrari's, and although I am a pretty simple guy by nature; you just can't help but appreciate the beauty in those automobiles. My boss has had a few F cars and it drove me crazy that he has owned so many exotics without a deep appreciation of the magnitude of the cars that he was able to drive so regularly. I just love cars I guess. At one point my wife and I had 6 cars (Three E46 M3's, a 2006 Mini Cooper Type S, a Ford Explorer Sport) and I have been in the process of selling them off to make room in the garage for a 360. I just have great difficulty parting with my cars, as I take immaculate care and put much thought in keeping the cars in great shape; both cosmetically AND mechanically.

I guess what has been holding me back the last couple years have been that I have been somewhat conservative in nature, and it's a pretty big step for me. The thought of that car getting dinged is enough to make me sweat! Also, I really was considering picking up an E92 but just never really fell in love with the aesthetics of that car, so I figure now is the perfect time to take the plunge. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself as I continue my search as I continue my search for my first F car. I hope to be in one by the end of this year, beginning of next year perhaps, although I am anxious to be in one, I don't want to make the mistake of making a rushed decision I will later regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Novaguy, welcome and how about filling out your profile a little more, along with a real first name so we can get to know you better?

Good luck with your search - that's half the fun.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Novaguy, welcome and how about filling out your profile a little more, along with a real first name so we can get to know you better?

+1. Welcome to FL. Sounds to me like a typical car nut with proper attitude !
Would it not be better to not think too much, but instead to jump over first and then find out ?
Sometimes that works better. Good luck with your search.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Come out to Annapolis Cars and Coffee at City Dock this Sunday, 9am-noon

(we are leaving at 11:30am-ish and heading to a MEGA MEET about 10 miles away)

I have a TR and 360, happy to chat with you about ownership.
I also own a couple of BMWs, so I understand your conservative nature.

Welcome to "the Life"

p.s. ask for Jim, he'll buy you a cup of coffee
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post

Agree with above

But welcome to F life. Good luck with the search. What specs are you looking at? Coupe, convertible, manual, F1?

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Go ahead and get a 360. Even though they are Ferraris, they are still just cars. If yours gets dinged, it can be easily fixed. Mine is covered with rock chips on the front bumper/spoiler, but they will go away when I have the bumper painted. In the meantime, they are just battle scars.

Go to ferraridatabase.com and download owners manuals and a workshop manual so you can learn more about the car. 360s have proven to be reliable cars and reasonable to maintain with no engine out requirement. There are at least a dozen threads here of people looking for a 360 as a first Ferrari, so look through some of them for ideas.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Oops, sorry about that, it was late and I was pretty tired. My name's Allen. Nice to meet everyone. Lunch, so I'm doing the usual, eating while looking for cars. I'm looking for a Modena, not too picky about the miles/year, we all know a car is as good as how well the worst owner of the car took care of it. I would like Red, but I think that car looks good in any of the factory colors they chose for it. I saw a white one on ebay that looked astonishingly good too. I think the overall aesthetics and lines of the car are that good, unless it got a tacky custom paint job of course. Ferrari did a pretty good job of picking colors that match the car well. I would like one that's going to be as reliable as possible, although I have the AAA extended plan, I want to avoid being out in the middle of nowhere stuck with a Ferrari. Also, although I love cars; I will freely admit to not being anywhere near the most mechanically inclined person in the world. F1 transmission to deal with Northern VA/DC traffic.

It's going to be a weekend driver, mainly. I will have one of the M3's as a daily. I have a very short commute to work (about 2 miles) and will mostly be taking it for nice drives on the weekend. It's a thing the wife and I do, she's turning into a pretty big car nut herself. Budget wise, I'm really not looking to go overboard, the most I had ever paid for a car before was in the low $40K range, so it's a pretty big leap for me. I have come pretty close to saying forget it; just hitting the "Buy" button based on running VIN and dealer feedback on Ebay; it's worked for me in the past, but the rational, logical, side of me always wins out. It's just different doing it on a 80-100K car with expensive repairs though compared to a 40-50K car.

Last edited by novaguy; 04-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode