Ferrari enthusiast with a thirst for knowledge - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Ferrari enthusiast with a thirst for knowledge

Hello, my name is John A. Irle from decatur,Al. I am 20 years old and a sailor in the United States Navy. I am currently based in Groton,Ct. In my spare time I am a private pilot and like to tinker on anything with an engine. I have been in love with Ferraris since I was little. I think some of the appeal is the fact that that I know so little about Ferrari's. I currently own a 2009 Silverado and recently bought a 2004 Silverado to give me something to work on. I have lifted and learned just about all there is to know about GM 1/2 pickups from lifting to lowering. I have just recently started to look at true sports cars and how there drive trains and suspension differ from "normal" cars. One of my neighbors back home owns a 2002 Dodge Viper. This is the fastest and most exotic car I have ever been exposed to and had the pleasure of driving. While the Viper is fast it is also scary as H*** to drive! I have recently been looking at Mondials online trying to absorb information. I like Mondial because it looks like a Ferrari should yet its not to flashy. I love the 348 because I remember loving it and the 355 when I was little I have started saving and yes I know a Ferrari is expensive no matter what and I am years off from ownership. My biggest reasons for wanting a Ferrari is to have a car that is fun to drive down back roads, and I want to learn about the mechanics of a Ferrari and be able to work on one. I don't want one for the attention of the brand, or to get girls or anything like that. I have been monitoring this forum for a good while now and seems like a great community I hope to be apart of. That being said if there is anyone in the new england area That does maintenance or any work on their ferrari and would like someone to clean their shop afterwards or anything like that I would gladly help on anything for exchange of some hands on knowledge and experience. Thank you for your time.

-sorry just realized i wrote a book, just wanted to introduce my self properly.

Last edited by citabria86614; 02-26-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
John- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Mondials and 348s are getting affordable if you can do some of the work yourself. You can download owners manuals, workshop manuals, and other tech data on many Ferraris including the Mondials and 348, at ferraridatabase.com.

What do you do in the Navy and have you considered officer training school?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I am a STS (Sonar tech for submarines). I have considered going officer but they don't even let us Sub guys talk about going officer or any other options till the end of our contract. Every thing is pretty filled up. With the current government budget cuts coming up every one seems to be on edge as well. Thank you very much for the welcoming. I wouldn't say I am an expert mechanic by any means but I have a pretty good mechanical mind and with a manual I can do most things. Until I found this website I thought Ferraris would be impossible to work on for some reason. If I save ownership seems feasible as long as I can do a good bit of the work my self. Thanks again.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Hi John, and welcome to the foum.

You've came to the right place to get more knowledge on F cars.

Good luck. Have you test drove the 348 yet? If not, I'd say test drive one and the 355 too

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #5 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
John - welcome and enjoy!

Ferrari really is a world in itself.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode