Introduction - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Introduction

Hi everyone, my name is Dan and unfortunately, I am not an owner of a Ferrari I'm actually a 19 years old student that is seeking guidance from you experienced gentlemen. First of all, i apologize for my terrible grammar, i want to keep the forum atmosphere instead of making it seem like a cover letter and what not. I'd also like to say that I do understand the value of your time, and even appreciate the time invested to simply read this introduction.I have read around on this forum and became glad at what i saw. You guys are all very successful people that still manage to have fun. This forum is a great thing, maybe one day I'll own a Ferrari and do secret Santa with you guys. I've told people I want to become a person with your type of life style and all I have received in response was something related to not being able to enjoy myself due to the amount of work I have to commit to.

Im currently enrolled at a college for a accounting and finance degree program but I have no idea if that is the right choice. Ive thought about asking a student adviser for some guidance, but it doesn't make sense to me to ask someone that is not in the place I want to get, for career advice. which is why im asking you guys. I'm leaning more towards the accounting field because it seems more reliable considering the demand for them, but the problem is the uncertainty to afford a California or 458 following this path. Simply put, I just want to know your career path and how you started out around my age. I will be constantly following this thread and i ensure you your time spent replying will not be wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Dan, first of all welcome to Flife.
As a matter of fact, we get these questions a lot.
I think your nr. 1 goal in life shouldn't be that you want to own a Ferrari, your goal should first be to decide what you really want to do, study hard and get your degree(s). After that it's a matter of working hard (as most of us are do everyday) and try to be the best in your field...
Once you achieve that, anything is possible, also owning a Ferrari. And for what's it worth, you don't need to be a millionaire to own one.....

Good luck!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #3 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Dear Dan,

Study something where you will be able to influence your time. Time control is the real luxury today. I suggest dentist. You can make money if you work hard and most importantly, you can control your time to a much larger extent than a corporate manager. A corporate manager is normally highly "time high-jacked" by customers. A dentist not so much as the dentist can free up a specific week with no appointments and go do something fun or time a friends wedding, anniversary, etc.

I, as a former corporate expat slave, remember many celebrations I could not attend to because customers or the organization would control my life.

Time and the control thereof is the ultimate luxury, never forget...!

Read the other similar threads and dedicate a good moment to think it over calmly. Also remember, asking for advice is good. Asking what people do for a living is less civilised and pushes the wrong buttons.

Good luck, hope to see a thread soon about your first Ferrari.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Welcome. As for education and life I find any education even if not turned into a life's work is something that always enhances and not detracts. You may pick up another degree in a different field and go with that or more likely, as I have hired many, find that what you love or wind up doing has zero relation to you sheepskin. Education is one of this things like a scar, it may fade but sticks with you. Toys are sometimes more easily acquired than keeping. So, making sure the necessities are managed correctly is key, IMO. BTW, to pick the right career mixed with Passion is what I enjoy and is was not truly related to my degrees. Funny how things go sometimes, but more importantly how I have grown/changed from my 19 year old pick.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 01-21-2013 at 06:13 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Hi Dan, welcome to the site. If you ever need any help or have questions . Please feel free to email me.
Thanks
Alex.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 239
Dan,
Welcome to the site. I would like to suggest that you pick a career that makes you want to get up in the morning and puts a smile on your face when you have to pay ungodly amount of taxes to the IRS. That may seem like an odd statement but its true. Wake up every day and try to be better than you were yesterday. If you do that consistently in everything you do ( and i mean everything), before you know it you will be among the top in your community. If you continue that path, before you know it, you will be highly regarded in your field. The trick is in choosing a career that will provide you and your future family with the lifestyle you envision.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Welcome Dan.

Even though I'm no Ferrari owner, I can tell you that you shouldn't look at a Ferrari from one perspective.

For example in London, anyone can own a Ferrari -- as long as their company or business is successful (partly to the fact that London is such a financial hub in the world), this includes the typical Banker, Sports player, Lawyer, Medical related profession, Real Estate, Night Club, Salon owner or even a simple restaurant owner or magazine writer. It's not the type of job you do, it's how you put your self in a position to be very unique to be wanted and of course successful. I got this from a real estate tycoon in Cape Town.

Find something you love and strive to be the very best at that particularly thing.

I see your Canadian, quick way to get rich? Get some oil in your possession ^^

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #8 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Dan- Welcome. Getting a business degree can help you reach your goals, and one of them may be to get an MBA as soon as you can after your bachelor's.

Note that anyone can own a Ferrari, just not all of us can afford a new one, me included. So if you really want a Ferrari, set your sights lower and consider getting one you can afford initially and moving up the Ferrari food chain as you progress up the career ladder. 3X8s, F355s and Mondials are available for prices from the $20Ks to the $50Ks. So why wait until you are rich to own one? Always a good idea to have a beater, too, for when the Ferrari is down for maintenance or really bad weather.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Wow! a lot of more responses than I expected haha. You guys do a great job at welcoming people.

550JM: Yeah I noticed you guys get a lot of these questions I've read threads dated back to 2006 and one individual that offered outstanding advice was pete04222. I assure you my goal is not to own a Ferrari, I know there are other priorities, but to me to be able to afford Ferrari after everything would be a milestone that not many that I know can say. Thank you for your advice and time.

il Capolino: Control of time is indeed something that is hard to obtain. Becoming a dentist doesn't really appeal to me in my mind. Theres something about looking into other people's mouth for the rest of my life that might be a little bit problematic. Btw, I've been told that the dentist profession has the highest suicide rate haha. Thank you for your advice and time.

Granucci: I guess that's exactly what I am worried about, I am a person that likes to have control. I can't shake off this feeling of uncertainty if you know what i mean.I feel like if I am getting a degree in an area, and end up being in a completely different field, I will have wasted 4 years of my life that could have been contributed towards the field I ended up in. I have seen a lot of advice from you in other threads and I'd like to sincerely thank you because it may seem like a small contribution of experience, but it greatly impacts the live of the ones you're advising. Do you mind if me asking what was your original plan at my age, and what you have ended up becoming? and thanks for your time and advice as well

ALEX A: Thank you! hopefully some time down the road I will need Ferrari service haha

Maxemus & karakal: I'm going to combine your reply because you both are giving similar advice. This is my biggest problem in making a decision at the moment. I don't know really know what I have a passion for. The only thing I can come up with is that I have a passion to see money build up. Is that weird?? The only reason is because there's a saying that goes around in my culture (I'm vietnamese) and its basically along the lines of, if the son is better than the father, than the family is extremely lucky. My dad has been a blue collar worker his whole life and he has been working extremely hard ever since he came to Canada. He's actually a test driver at Honda so most of my family have owned Hondas our whole lives. But now hes getting old, and I dont feel like I have given him a reason to be genuinely happy yet. I want my dad to be able to tell other people that I am his son and this is what I do and be filled with joy, because i can't imagine what a great feeling it is for a father to be able to say his son is super successful. Bragging rights haha. Thanks for your advice and time!

To all: I'm leaning towards the business field right now, specifically an accountant, or financial adviser. I am ultimately asking you guys for your opinion on what do you believe would be the better pathway. If you have any other suggestions or questions please let me know.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

@Ambition, I didn't know what I wanted to do either, I just wanted to be successful with it.

Fortunately my father's a CEO of an investment/finance company and landed me with a work experience job overseas for a couple of months in the marketing department, I actually didn't mind this, I'm not a numbers guy tho, suck at maths. But it certainly was a big deal in helping my future.

When I was over there each weekend we would go walk with his lawyer in a forest in Istanbul somewhere, gradually I liked how he told me what his job was, I've seen it on t.v. read about it and I became interested. Now I wouldn't say I'm out to either sue someone to end their life in court or just merge a business deal or deal with any other legal aids but I generally found this very interesting. So I began studying law, psychology, Sociology, English Lit (omg) and politics this year in hopes of doing a law degree next year and beyond.

I'm was only 19 when I started this course and who knows, maybe in 10 years time I want to be in the fashion designer industry lol.

I suggest doing work experience in areas might help you -- It helped me.

Quote:
what a great feeling it is for a father to be able to say his son is super successful. Bragging rights haha. Thanks for your advice and time!
Meh I wouldn't totally go by this. I wasn't the best behaved kid on the block during school, I've turned it around though but in the process I saw my bro go to Rugby school and get good grades and all his friends get good grades and I hated listening to this.

I think there's a lot more than academic to a child and school isn't suited for everyone -- but... I grew up in a wealthy area and everyone's mum or dad was a somebody -- and my mum hated hearing about how children were compared through grades or music talent or sport or how great someone was. Something to be humble about.

You don't need to have a successful $$$$ to make a family member happy, perhaps staying out of jail is one of the agendas LOL.

Take pictures for fun

Last edited by karakal; 01-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

tazandjan: I indeed plan to get my MBA asap. I dont exactly want a Ferrari , just the luxury to be able to afford one if you know what i mean. I came here to ask you guys because i figure you guys must be doing something right. If you dont mind me asking may i ask what your plan/career path was when you were my age and how it turned out as of today? It would really help give me a sense of direction. thanks for your advice and time!
post #12 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

karakal: I have wanted to become a lawyer at one point in my life too. I too like the concept of it but i fear that I only know what I see on tv and believe that it would be completely misguiding of what they actually do. Unlike you I consider myself to be strong in math but weak in anything that requires extensive writing like essays and reports haha. One reason why I didnt pursue that profession. I hope everything works out well for you, and good luck with your degree!
post #13 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Owner

Navy or Air Force career? Actor?

Salve,
Capo

post #14 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Dan- USAF flying fighters for 22 years and then another 18 years as a rocket scientist for a small, high tech firm. Bought my first Ferrari, a 3 year old Dino 246 GT, at age 27, but had already had three Corvettes and three Porsches before that. Think I may be a bit more of a car freak than you are.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 239
^ Taz from reading your posts I think you're in a league of your own my friend.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
^ Taz from reading your posts I think you're in a league of your own my friend.
I think so too.

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ernie, Capo- If you mean I am more anal than normal, you nailed it.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Taz, being in a fighter jet must be awesome. The only thing I would be scared about is landing.

Ambition, thanks man. Next few months will tell a lot for me, hope you find what your looking for as well and GL.

Take pictures for fun
post #19 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Will- Landing is the easy part. It is the part in the middle where they shoot at you that is scary.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode