Car-Pregnant - Expecting a 308 or 328 in 2013 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Car-Pregnant - Expecting a 308 or 328 in 2013

I was going to write my "Member Introduction" when I finally actually got myself a car, but the bank account is cocked and loaded, I am actively shopping, wifie is actually supportive of the acquisition, so, I suppose, like a couple expecting a child, I am on my way to having a Ferrari. I can introduce myself now. If all goes well during the gestation period, in somewhere between 0 to 24 months, I will welcome home a bundle of noisy 308 or 328 joy. Everything is ready.

Well, not everything. The baby's nursery is not yet complete. I am undertaking a garage expansion in 2013, which will give me room for another couple of cars. The family has given the project that awful "Garage Mahal" moniker, but if a name sets their expectation that I am can make it nice, I am all for it. Actually, one bay will be used for a good workshop, hopefully including a scissor-lift. I have the luxury of time to shop, but I could and would pounce if a nice car showed up before the garage was done.

The things I look forward to doing with my new baby are spirited driving around the San Francisco Bay Area, a few "High Performance Driver Education" days (hee, hee) each year at the tracks around here (Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Thunderhill) plus some autocross. On the latter, my daughter became hooked at age 16 and I never would have expected that car racing would be a father-daughter activity. Good fun.

Whatever model it is, it will be a long-term acquisition. I enjoyed working on cars as a youth and decided about 10 years ago to take it back up as a hobby. Now, I kind of enjoy showing up at the office with grease under the fingernails. I like my cars nice, particularly interiors, and enjoy tweaking, upgrading and optimizing. I intend on wrenching my Ferrari as much as I can but I really don't want ever to have to put the car up on jack stands for months (or years!) like some people have.

I currently own two antique E30 series BMWs (a near show condition 1987 325i convertible and a track-rat 1991 318i sedan) (BA's Justracing Homepage) which I have owned for many years. I really like the toss-ability of light cars. My 318i is only 2,600 lbs, so I worry even about a 308's 3,200 lbs. I suppose I should consider Testarossas, but I am biased against the weight: I need to test-drive one. (Friends nudge me toward the likes of 360, but I like the simpler nature of the earlier cars.)

At this point, I am still in pre-natal classes; just learning about the various models and learning how to shop. Any help is welcome. Particularly, I do not yet know anything about the Bay Area Ferrari 'scene'. (Although Brian Crall has already reached out to me, which was very much appreciated.)

Much to learn; nice to see such a great community here.

Brian.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode