New Member : 360 Fan - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
New Member : 360 Fan

Hello Ferrari Life,

I have enjoyed reading and learning about Ferrari from this forum, I especially want to thank Gcalo, Boxer, Andrew, Brian C. , Taz and Champagne612 for amazing insights- you all really exemplify true passion about Ferraris.

I decided to join since I am now in the market for a 360 and really wanted to be proactive in learning more about the car and gaining further advice.

I am looking for 2003/04 360 , red/tan, F1. Recently I found something I liked but unfortunately the current owner did not have service history or records from the first owner. Although the mileage was low, I was reluctant to pursue further as I would prefer buying something that I know has been documented to be well maintained.

One day I will join you all as a Ferrari Owner.

Coz

Last edited by CozFCar; 12-13-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Welcome to the forum Coz, I think you've come to the right place. I don't think there's more experience and knowledge of Ferraris anywhere else.

You've alos picked a great car to start with (if I do say so myself...).

If you have the VIN number, you can contact the nearest dealer and see if they have the maintenance records. If they've done the service, they will have a record of it. Ask them to redact the owners contact info from the invoices and they probably will release them.

Good luck on the search, it can be as much fun as driving the car. Well, almost...

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CozFCar View Post
Hello Ferrari Life,

I have enjoyed reading and learning about Ferrari from this forum, I especially want to thank Gcalo, Boxer, Andrew, Brian C. , Taz and Champagne612 for amazing insights- you all really exemplify true passion about Ferraris.

I decided to join since I am now in the market for a 360 and really wanted to be proactive in learning more about the car and gaining further advice.

I am looking for 2003/04 360 , red/tan, F1.

One day I will join you all as a Ferrari Owner.

Coz
Glad to help

Ferrari : 360 Spider Convertible 2-Door in Ferrari | eBay Motors

post #4 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
welcome coz. that would be a great car to start. sounds like you are doing it nice and careful.

download the buyer's guide and get the issue BRIAN helped contribute regarding the 360 series, about four months ago: Forza magazine. they have back issues. good read.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Owner

Coz,

If you can't find the Forza issue, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

post #6 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello Killer58 and Granucci -

Sorry I forgot to thank you guys as well - I have enjoyed your post as well in the past. Killer58 has a great signature "Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most. - CLASSIC.

I have read Brian's contribution to the Forza magazine as well and have read the Buyers Guide :both were excellent. I am following the general advice of being patient, although I can't wait to own one!

Just to make sure I have things in order - I was initially focusing on low mileage vehicles - less than 10,000 - however what I have realized is that they generally go for a premium and there are very few out there -considering I am set on color. If I was to consider one with 20,000 miles but was well maintained (records, etc) is that an issue. It seems that many have gone this route of picking a "higher" mileage one. Is there any lack of performance as the engine ages based on miles?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Coz- Welcome and good luck on a 360. If a car is missing records but checks good otherwise, a full service can bring her back up to standards without being too much of an issue. As long as she has been well maintained during the last 2-4 years, I would not let missing records disqualify a good car. The first owner's records (~3 years) are missing on mine, too, but those I received showed all the applicable services, including a belt change, had been done within the last couple of years. So now she has good records back for ~6 years.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Owner

Coz, In addition to what Taz states above, the more you drive a 360, the better it gets. Personally, and all else being equal, I would prefer a 20K car to a sub 10K car.

post #9 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Taz And Killer58

I will take those things into consideration.

Killer58 do you still have your PPI list?
Also I spoke with a Ferrari service manager today - he states a compression test is a good idea - I plan on getting a PPI - do all of them come with a compression test? I will search the PPI section as well, but any quick new thoughts are greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Owner

Compression is one thing, but more importantly is the leak-down test.

I'll search the files and see if I can dig up the PPI form. Will advise soonest.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Thanks Taz And Killer58

I will take those things into consideration.

Killer58 do you still have your PPI list?
Also I spoke with a Ferrari service manager today - he states a compression test is a good idea - I plan on getting a PPI - do all of them come with a compression test? I will search the PPI section as well, but any quick new thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Pat, there isn't a standard form or process for a PPI and each shop is different. I found the best of them separate visual, function and mechanical into different inspections and only when all items pass your muster do they perform the compression & leak down. While noted as unnecessary during our PPI I did ask to have the compression & leak down performed for the car records.

Good luck and enjoy the search. It's a great experience - search for other threads here after receiving Killer's PPI data. Putting it all together will get you armed and ready to go. There's also a Ferrari checklist available at the dealerships called a 101-point inspection; while not a PPI checklist it did help me put some of the PPI puzzle pieces together so to speak intelligently with the mechanics.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the info BluNart,

I think a compression test is something I will definately consider doing - peace of mind.
I will look into the 101 point inspection list as well.

What I am noticing as I do my search is that there are cars out there - but thus far I have yet to find one that has a majority of the records. Usually there is a good 3-5 yr of missing data. The current owners, when I talked with them did not really feel the importance as long as it passed a PPI they were satisfied. Just makes me wonder that although a PPI is great - can it miss things that are not "visible" such as vital engine parts that can go south if not properly maintained/lubricated.

Coz

Last edited by CozFCar; 12-14-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 15 Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Owner

If you do your research from state ownership records you can often dig up more than the current owner has, or more important to the buyer what the seller is not disclosing. I passed on a car pre-inspection that I had a verbal offer established after digging a bit; quite the learning experience.

If you find a car with low owner #, all records, tasteful mods and in the hands of an enthusiest that knows the car & cares about its future it will be priced accordingly. If that price point is not where you're at, enjoy the hunt and continue as you are gaining knowledge to make the best decision for you.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

State ownership records, how do I get those. I just relied on Carfax and whatever the current owner has. I was not aware that the States have records as well - if I understood you correctly.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
State ownership records, how do I get those. I just relied on Carfax and whatever the current owner has. I was not aware that the States have records as well - if I understood you correctly.
Carfax or like report from another provider is a good source of where the ownership was. With a high amount of owners it's tricky to figure out without a lot of calls to surrounding dealerships and/or service shops, but worth the effort if it's a car you're considering. After doing research on one car I gave the details back to the seller hoping they would pass on to the next buyer; unlikely but maybe they'd fix some issues so it's represented correctly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode