Introduction and question for all - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Introduction and question for all

Hi to all,

Wanted to introduce myself. Been a member for a while now, and have read many posts from alot of you to the point I feel I know some of you personally already. Ive learned alot here just reading the many posts that interest me.

I finally decided to jump into the pool and just this week purchased a 2000 360 F1 with 12K miles, Red with Tan Daytona seats, which I expect to have delivered on Friday/Saturday this week. So I am looking forward to being able to actually see things on the car which are talked about here. I also wanted to thank you all for your knowledge which had me prepared when I finally decided to seriously look at buying. I purchased the buying guides and felt they did prepare me well when I looked at various cars.

A little about me, I live in the Philadelphia area (Bucks Co.), work both in Center City Philadelphia and surburbs as well. Now, my question........And I apologize in advance, if this isnt exactly the area to post this, as I really couldnt decide what forum it best fit into.

I have a driveway issue.....I have read s few posts on here with some possible solutions (ie. Brijit (sp?)) which I do not believe would be a possibility in my case. I will try and posts some pics when I get a chance, as this may provide a better insight.

So I ask you all, is it best to just bite the bullet and look into having my driveway redone? Or are there options (ie. Skid plates, rubber bumpers, etc?) that may be more cost efficient without jeopardizind the value of the car? Im open to hearing anyones thoughts or experiences with this.

Once again, thanks for the valuable info and great to FINALLY be a OWNER as well as a reader!

JASON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jason- Welcome. We have had several owners who had their driveways shaved to make an easier transition for their Ferrari. Many have also fitted widely available skid plates that do not affect the value of the car at all, but do tend to actually decrease the amount of clearance the front spoiler has. But the skid plates do eliminate most damage to the spoiler. A final option, since the rubber bridge will not work for you, is to increase the ride height slightly at the front. Your 360's ride height is easily adjustable and could provide a small amount of extra clearance without making her look like a 4x4. The car will need an alignment afterwards, but it is a relatively cheap way, combined with hitting the drive at an angle, to prevent damage.

How about some photos of your car? Sounds like a nice one.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Jason, another option might be a hydraulic lift kit for the front end.

A friend of mine runs RamLiftPro and has mentioned that his product has been installed on the 360's.

You might drop him an email and see what he has to offer. On my 550 Maranello, this lift kit gives me another 2" of ride height whenever I want it.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

John- Good point, and he could use the unused rear fog light switch to operate the pump, like you do.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Appreciate the input guys, its good to know the value/esthetics wouldnt be effected by a skid plate. Also Taz I will defnitely post some pics once its here. And John, thanks for that idea, sounds like that would be a much more economical way of solving the issue as opposed to the whole driveway shave. Will check into both options though.
Thanks again

JASON
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Sorry Taz but I think the ride height is a really bad way to go. Just like an airplane the attitude is a very fundamental part of the cars high speed stability. A very small change in pitch makes it a scary car to drive.

Why buy a car because of what it is then F it up to fit a driveway?

We have a TR, the second most driveway unfriendly car Ferrari ever made and a driveway issue. I overcame it. So can you.

A. Skid plates.
B. Redesign the driveway.
C. Buy a different car, seriously.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Brian- Correct and I should have said to check ride height and return to stock if the car has been lowered.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Ferrari Life.

Having a lowered 16M I can say that it's not fun worrying about scraping.

Eventually you are going to pull out or in to your driveway without thinking - it's not worth it and in the long run you will be a heck of a lot happier making the driveway user friendly.

... my .02
post #9 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Brian, but I've waited long enough for one of these so option C is......not an option haha. But good thought on not changing the height. Once again, much appreciated.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Jason, IMO front bumper skids plates on a 360 are a must not just for your driveway but the many other white knuckle experiences you'll have in the northeast. Terry's recommendation to enter your driveway at an angle will definitely help too. RicambiAmerica has them - SKD-360-PD. Enjoy!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Suggest you try the skid plates 1st and if that doesn't work, install a hydraulic lift.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,339
Welcome to FerrariLife Jason. You have 3 possible options suggested here. I would start checking if your car has been lowered and if its the case, get it back to the standard height. That would be the cheapest option. Skid plates can be a good option too but they will reduce even more the ride height and may eventually damage the fiberglass spoiler tearing off the rivets or bolts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode