Hello - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Hello

Good afternoon All,

I have just joined your forum, which I have already found very interesting andinformative: thankyou.

I am based in Devon, in the UK. After a career in commercial real estate in London, I am now semi-retired, running a service providing homes for homeless people with drug and alcohol dependencies in Cornwall.

Although I have owned a lot of cars in my time, I have yet to put a Ferrari on the list and I have decided that it's about time to rectify that.

After much consideration, I have concluded that my Ferrari must be a V12: no disrespect intended towards the owners of V8s and V6s, all very nice cars, of which I have driven one or two (I shall never forget the sublime experience of spending a sunny afternoon driving a friend's 246 round Goodwood many years ago), but for me at least, Ferrari and V12 seem to go together like the proverbial Horse and Carriage. And that engine must sit in front of me: my Ferrari must have the same visual proportions as my old E-type.

Had I the cash to do so, I would go out and buy a 330 / 365 GTC, or a Daytona. Alas, that is destined to be a daydream, until I find out how to run a Champagne lifestyle on Ginger Pop money, or win the lottery (which is unlikely as I never buy a ticket).

So I have settled on a Maranello: those looks and all that performance for as little as 50K, are irresistible.

I am torn between a 550 and a 575, but it looks as though I am going to come down on the side of the former, primarily because my heart is ruling my head on the gearbox front and manual 575s are as rare as hen's teeth. I guess it's an instinctive thing for someone of my generation (my heroes are Clark, Fangio and Moss, rather than Schumacher, Hamilton and Vettel) to think that anything with sporting pretensions must have a proper manual box. And although a Maranello is not going to be a sports car in the way that my 911 is, it definitely has sporting pretensions and is a car which I shall drive for the pleasure ofdriving it, rather than as a means of getting from A to B.

Any thoughts on the above will be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL, John. Great intro there and sensible choice too.

I'll let the other 550 owners give you their "biased" opinions.

Good luck with your search.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
John, welcome to FLife; I'm also from the age of Clark, Fangio, and who was that other guy again? Well, that's aging for you, isn't it

The 550 is a great choice for all the reasons you outlined - and while it's certainly no grocery getter, it's a wonderful GT that will transport you and a companion and not too much luggage in comfort and style for hours on end. There are however, a few things to watch out for, prior to purchase, and if you'd PM me an email address, I'd be happy to send you a checklist I compiled over the year of prepurchase research I did, and the last two years of ownership.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome

From one CRE guy to another - get what you want (575) and never look back.

After waiting this long what the heck - confident others here will be able to help you on your search.

Best of luck
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
As you are down in Devon, suggest you call Lee at Carrs Ferrari and see if he can source a 550 / 575 for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode