Wanted to say hello to everyone! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Wanted to say hello to everyone!

Hello Everyone!

I just signed up and was excited to find the forum. In my opinion, forums like these are some of the most valuable parts of the internet, you can find a forum about nearly anything you can imagine and get great info from people who know what they are taking about! So, now that I might be in the market for a slightly used Ferrari, I looked to find a Ferrari forum and sure enough, here it is!

I'm excited to read up and get the "inside scoop" on owning a Ferrari, I know its a bit more involved than driving a Honda-I've had a couple friends with Ferraris over the years as well as other exotics and I am currently a 911 owner myself.

So, thanks in advance for answering my questions and I PROMISE to use the search feature as much as possible to avoid starting threads that have been posted and answered 100 times before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Dave- Welcome to Ferrari Life. You can find a lot of good information on ferraridatabase.com, too. Free to download. Let us know which Ferrari scratches your itch and we probably have someone who can help you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL, Dave. Good luck with your search.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

post #4 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Welcome to the forum, I think you'll like it here. Lot's to learn and discover, and just as important, we all seem to get along.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Welcome! Post pics of your 911 as well. Most of us have or had some P cars too.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Welcome to FLife.

Which Ferraris are you considering?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Well, thanks for the gracious welcome messages! I will try to get some pics of the 911 one of these days to post. Its a 2007 Carrera 4S cab, dark blue with the tan full leather interior and several other nice options. I bought it just slightly used from a Porsche dealer in the Chicago area (I'm near Milwaukee, an hour or so north) Apparently they had a real Porsche fanatic customer who had ordered a new 911 Turbo cab that he had to wait several months for, so in the meantime, he bought the next best thing, a Carrera 4S cab, totally loaded with many of the "custom" options that Porsche is pretty big on for the 911's like having basically the entire interior wrapped in leather, etc. I think it listed for around $125K with all of the options and I was able to get a for a fair amount less with under 4K miles and in showroom condition a few months later when the customer's 911 Turbo cab arrived! Its been a great car, of course being in WI it is only driven during summer and rarely on nice fall days, then locked away in the garage for winter. I now have about 30K miles on it, because even though its a "second car", I do really love to drive it, so when its a beautiful day and I'm going to take a short 30 min cruise, I often end up returning many hours later, just because its a great car to drive.

Now, I have owned other sports cars, but this has been my best and most expensive one yet. The car has been basically bulletproof as far as reliability goes, although regular maintenance is certainly not cheap. Tires go fast, (maybe every 10 to 15K miles) and run around $300+ each, oil changes, etc are all quite a bit more than any normal car. One thing I have been happy about is that the local dealership seems to have treated me fairly and honestly, which I was worried about a bit because I had heard through the grapevine that they loved to charge as much as they could. Anyway, that's basically my 911 story, I will try to post a few pics when I remember and get a chance!

What brings me here are some pretty recent developments that have me seriously thinking about a Ferrari and soon. I've been a "car nut" since I was not even 10 years old and have always loved the expensive and exclusive marques. (probably no surprise there!) Yet, for me Ferrari has always been the top of my wish list and the one car I have always wanted to aspire to. Sure, I wouldn't turn down a Lambo, Aston Martin, etc. I love those too, but Ferrari's have always been the ultimate for me, I think because to me their cars have not just been great sports cars, but really true works of automotive art. So, I have always told myself that at some point when I'm ready and can truly afford it (because I don't want to be the clown who takes out a 2nd mortgage to get a Ferrari that I really can't afford and certainly can't afford to properly maintain!) I will get one and love it!

Well, something came up that sped up my Ferrari dream from still being in the future to something that could happen very soon. First, I have done quite well financially the last 3 years (no, not Bill Gates well or even below-average NBA player well, but well enough and better than I would have hoped for considering this recession that just does not seem to be going away!) and I'm still single, no kiddies to pay for either, so I have some money to burn on some fun stuff! The other thing that is prompting me is that a good friend of mine has not had the best couple of years financially and needs to raise some cash fairly soon. He is the owner of a very nice 360 Spider F1 that he has been asking me if I would like to buy. He hasn't nailed down an exact price yet, but he said he'd certainly give me a great deal so that he doesn't have to go through the hassle of selling it, maybe having someone back out, reselling it, etc. where he wouldn't end up with cash in hand for a long time. He needs the cash sooner rather than later to meet some business obligations and by selling it to me, even if it was for a substantial discount, he'd have his cash in hand in a few days or less. Now, I know that the car has been very, very well maintained, although I would still get a PPI just to be safe. Anyway, I'm thinking pretty seriously about this and would need to give him an answer very soon, like within the next week for sure.

Here's where my dilemma comes in-I would love to have a Ferrari, especially a good deal on a mid-engined spider which have always been by far my favs, I would also like to help my friend, he is a very good person and has always been a great friend. Yet, my dilemma comes in big time because I REALLY REALLY love the F430 Spider instead. Don't get me wrong, the 360 is also a work of art that stands above all other cars on the road, but for me, the 430 spider is it! I have even been to see a 458 Italia (coupe, no spiders yet when I was there) and I still prefer the 430. Its hard for me to put my finger on exactly WHAT it is about the 430 that gets me going so much, but it just drives me crazy looking at one in person! Now, I hadn't researched 430 spider prices for a while, I think last time I looked, they had just gotten past the point where you couldn't even get a new one for close to list price, people were still paying well over list. I see now that prices are creeping downward, even for many of what look like well-optioned, lower mileage examples. So, there are more than a few nice looking 430 Spiders out there that I could afford (and when I say afford, I mean that I could pay cash for if I choose to and that I would have more than enough funds left over to set aside for the inevitable maintenance bills and anything that might break, I'm not filthy rich, but I'm not trying to buy a Ferrari by way over-stretching a shoe string budget, either!)

Well, before I type all night here, let me try to sum it up this way-which way would YOU go on this? Buy a 360 Spider F1 and possibly help out a friend, maybe getting it for $10K under what it should usually be worth-OR-Should I shoot for my dreams and go for a 430 Spider, a car that is truly the car of my dreams, which I'd have tom pay a fair amount more for, but is car I am truly in love with???????
post #8 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao & Welcome to FL

Go for the 430, it is a monster of a car you will never look back, literally because you will be way up front

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #9 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to FL BigDavve.

I would consider purchasing the 360, driving it for a year and then trading it for a 430, on the basis that it's purchase price could give you a years depreciation free motoring.

But that's a financially motivated solution. If your heart tells you you want the 430 and it's financially viable, then perhaps the solution will be emotionally motivated rather than financially.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #10 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Only you can judge whether to assist your friend.

All we can do is tell you that no matter what decision you make, you're in for the thrill of a a lifetime.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Welcome. This may not work for your timing issues but this month's Forza mag has a 430 buyers guide and first reading is very good. Acquire prev issue and you get the 360 buyers guide. I basically like Barry's idea, but once you read the guides you may know a bit better.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
911 is a great car! Perhaps keep it and add the 360 Ferrari?

Welcome to the thread and good-luck on your quest to get that Ferrari.

I also own a 360 and have not been disappointed.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
I am with Barry. Go for the 360 first at the bargain price and later trade her towards an F430 Spider. Will give you a wider experience with Ferraris and make you appreciate the F430 even more.

Ask your friend when was the last time the cambelts were changed. He should know right off the top of his head. Should be within the last three years.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
+3 on Barry's recommendation. I really enjoyed my 360 and as a 1st Ferrari, it is a great choice.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Ferrari Life

I would suggest the 430 - 100 more hp alone makes it worth the difference.

Ferrari F1's are all about technology - the later 430's are far more advanced than the early 360's an require much less maintenance ... so unless you are leaning towards a 6 speed go for the later years.

FYI on the big part - being 6' 2" the 430 Spider / 360 offered poor seating height equating to bad vision.

The 430 Scud and 16M both drop the seat height by 3-4 inches.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, thanks everyone for the responses and advice. I will be doing a lot of thinking over the next week, although right now I'm leaning towards getting the good deal on the 360 and seeing just how much I enjoy the "Ferrari Life". I will have to keep everyone updated as to what happens! Thanks again, its great to see that like with so many subjects there is a very helpful forum on owning a Ferrari. I was a little worried, only because Ferrari's are not Hondas, there are only so many of them out there!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Hi, welcome bigdavve

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #18 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
you said you like the 430. get the 430. your friend will sell his car quickly to someone else if the price is that good. Get the one YOU want. this is not an obligation, it is the fulfillment of a dream.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3