Hello from Southern Cal! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Hello from Southern Cal!

Hi guys.
Found this forum few days ago. Thought about buying a Ferrari for a very long time but cheated with cheaper sisters for a while. Driven and tracked 911 turbo, Aston Vantage V8 and an M3. I finally came to my senses few days ago after visiting Penske/ Wynn Ferrari dealership in Vegas.
Have been in contact with Wynn and Newport Beach Ferrari dealers since then.
Keen on slightly/gently used California and then to sign up for an Italia to my specific specs.
Both dealers are telling me that one purchase is required in order for me to be on a wait list to purchase an Italia for delivery in about 1-2 years at the sticker price. Has to be a coupe. Not the hard top convertible that I want as they both state the waiting will be much longer for hard top convertible Italia.
Planning on visiting LA Auto Gallery and Newport Beach Ferrari this week.
Anyone with a better idea on how to go about signing up for an Italia for sticker price without first purchasing a used Cali or F430? Or how to go about finding the best deal from a certified Ferrari dealers? Any input will be much appreciated. I am only in the market for a used Ferrari as I find it the easiest way to get my hands on Italia at a sticker price.
Thanks.
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jon- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Kind of quiet here tonight with the three day weekend, so you should get some more hits tomorrow. It should be possible to order a 458 at MSRP, you just go pretty far down the list of people who want to order one. There are plenty of used Californias around and you may be able to strike a deal on a trade for a 458 or 458 Spider if that is what you want, but the wait will be long for the Spider, like they told you. There are a lot of Ferrari dealers in California and I would hit them all if I were you, just like you are doing.

You will enjoy the California while you have it. Most owners have been very pleased with the car. If you do get one, try and find one with the magnetic shocks. Better ride and handling, so a good deal for $5K when new.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jon- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Kind of quiet here tonight with the three day weekend, so you should get some more hits tomorrow. It should be possible to order a 458 at MSRP, you just go pretty far down the list of people who want to order one. There are plenty of used Californias around and you may be able to strike a deal on a trade for a 458 or 458 Spider if that is what you want, but the wait will be long for the Spider, like they told you. There are a lot of Ferrari dealers in California and I would hit them all if I were you, just like you are doing.

You will enjoy the California while you have it. Most owners have been very pleased with the car. If you do get one, try and find one with the magnetic shocks. Better ride and handling, so a good deal for $5K when new.
Dear Taz,
Thanks for your kind words. There are couple calis I am looking at and both are 2010. Factory warranty will be expiring soon on those cars and I wonder if I should spend 5k a year for extended warranty?

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Jon- Warranties are crap-shoots, but if one had been available for my 575M four years ago, I would have bought it. Would have been a complete waste of money as it turns out, but they are a nice safety blanket. I just bought a 3 year extended warranty on the wife's GL 550 for $4K, and that one will be worth the money

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Welcome Jon:

I like the idea you are going to take your time and 'hit' all the dealerships. Always good to start a nice relationship and play the purchase game correctly.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jon- Warranties are crap-shoots, but if one had been available for my 575M four years ago, I would have bought it. Would have been a complete waste of money as it turns out, but they are a nice safety blanket. I just bought a 3 year extended warranty on the wife's GL 550 for $4K, and that one will be worth the money
I just leased a Merc GL450 for two yrs. Great deal as new ones are hitting the showrooms. I was quoted 5k for one yr on Calis. Is that right?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
hi welcome Jon

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Welcome Jon:

I like the idea you are going to take your time and 'hit' all the dealerships. Always good to start a nice relationship and play the purchase game correctly.
Well, I am not good at finding bargains. And it is a bit intimidating to visit Ferrari dealers but I need to ManUp. I hate getting ripped off more than anything. Hopefully some one would offer me one at a reasonable price. Never felt anxiety shopping for a car before. I have Merc and BMW people under my wraps but Ferrari is a whole different game.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwondds View Post
Well, I am not good at finding bargains. And it is a bit intimidating to visit Ferrari dealers but I need to ManUp. I hate getting ripped off more than anything. Hopefully some one would offer me one at a reasonable price. Never felt anxiety shopping for a car before. I have Merc and BMW people under my wraps but Ferrari is a whole different game.
Welcome to Ferrari Life Jon.

My take on the above is that if you can negotiate a deal on a BMW or Merc then you can do the same on a Ferrari. It's the same game, just for a little higher price.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jon- One year for $5K sounds about right for a Ferrari. Unfortunately.

Taz
Terry Phillips