Hello from Italy - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Hello from Italy

Just thought I'd stop by to say hello.
After many years driving mostly british sports cars, in the quest for a more comfortable and practical car, I think the time may have come to indulge in something Italian

Yesterday I put down an offer for a nice silver Barchetta, and I'm now waiting for an answer with trepidation and excitement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Just thought I'd stop by to say hello.
After many years driving mostly british sports cars, in the quest for a more comfortable and practical car, I think the time may have come to indulge in something Italian

Yesterday I put down an offer for a nice silver Barchetta, and I'm now waiting for an answer with trepidation and excitement
Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck on the Barchetta.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,200
Welcome - after reading your initial statement: "After many years driving mostly british sports cars.....", I was all set to tell you, "Well then, you're well prepared for the foibles of an Italian exotic!".

Then I read your next statement: ".....in the quest for a more comfortable and practical car, I think the time may have come to indulge in something Italian."

To me, "comfortable and practical" equates to Japanese, German or American, not Italian , so I hope you're not disappointed with some of the "charming" quirks you'll find in Italian cars - they're not unlike some of the quirks you've grown to know & love with the British cars, just a different flavor..... But again, welcome to the Life, and hopefully soon to be ownership.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Welcome. What British cars have you owned?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Welcome - after reading your initial statement: "After many years driving mostly british sports cars.....", I was all set to tell you, "Well then, you're well prepared for the foibles of an Italian exotic!".

Then I read your next statement: ".....in the quest for a more comfortable and practical car, I think the time may have come to indulge in something Italian."

To me, "comfortable and practical" equates to Japanese, German or American, not Italian , so I hope you're not disappointed with some of the "charming" quirks you'll find in Italian cars - they're not unlike some of the quirks you've grown to know & love with the British cars, just a different flavor..... But again, welcome to the Life, and hopefully soon to be ownership.
Well the 550 is definitely quieter a lot more comfortable and relaxing to drive than my Tuscan and feels much better built... more of a car and less of a toy.
While the soft top is not on par with that of more traditional cars, it is certainly better built and easier to erect than my Caterham's. Even if putting it up by myself without scratching the body will probably require a bit of practice, I suppose that once I learn the proper technique it will take less than 5 minutes.

To me most japanese, germans, and americans are not cars... they are more like appliances... tools made for getting you from A to B... they have no soul
post #6 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Welcome. What British cars have you owned?
I've owned several Caterhams, a couple of TVRs, and a Hayabusa engined mini
in my garage I currently have a Caterham Fireblade, a Caterham 40th anniversary, and a TVR Tuscan mk2 (which I'm selling to fund the purchase of the 550)

while I've loved all my cars, I feel the time may have come to try something that doesn't require earplugs in order not to go deaf, or that has a windscreen so that I will not have to remove all sorts of splattered bugs from my teeth when I get back from a drive
post #7 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
I've owned several Caterhams, a couple of TVRs, and a Hayabusa engined mini
in my garage I currently have a Caterham Fireblade, a Caterham 40th anniversary, and a TVR Tuscan mk2 (which I'm selling to fund the purchase of the 550)

while I've loved all my cars, I feel the time may have come to try something that doesn't require earplugs in order not to go deaf, or that has a windscreen so that I will not have to remove all sorts of splattered bugs from my teeth when I get back from a drive

Nice: You have some great Caterham racers there. Do you ever track?

TVRs are fairly rare here but did see your model once on the freeway and the looks were impressive. Don't know about the driving experience of them though.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Welcome Scalper. A 550 was my first Ferrari, and I'm a firm TVR fan so you're in good company if I do say so myself. You "sound" like a Brit, also considering your previous cars. Am I wrong? Whereabouts in Italy are you based?

I had the great fortune of swapping cars with a Tuscan Mk2 owner last summer. He loved my 550, I loved his Tuscan, but as far as build quality goes, even an 11 year old Ferrari is quite a bit better. I was shocked during my Griffith restoration project! But I do think, as well, that TVR made enormous strides between 1995 and 2005. Too bad they had to fold.

I've always been very keen to drive a Caterham, hope that will happen one of these days. They must be great driving machines.

Best of luck with the Barchetta purchase, they are fantastic. Bit impractical, but at least you've got plenty of sunshine in Italy.

So - welcome!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #9 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome Scalper.

Good luck on the Barchetta deal. Will certainly be more comfortable and practical than the current fleet

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #10 of 17 Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

thanks everybody for the warm welcome

Onno, I'm definitely not British, but I do have a strong passion for British cars as I believe that nothing else has the same fun/price ratio
post #11 of 17 Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
good luck on the barchetta. a rare and beautiful car. Definitely more civilized than a mini with a huyabusa!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Benvenuto Scalper, are you Italian? If yes, in which area are you based?
Ciao
Mauro

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
post #13 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Welcome to FerrariLife, let us know how the 550 offer goes. Hope you get it!
post #14 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Andrew, I've made an offer for no.142 on Thursday but the dealer is taking its time as he said he doesn't know how to value the TVR I've offered him in part exchange. The positive thing is that he didn't immediatelt turn down my offer, however if I don't get an answer by Wednesday (tomorrow it's a holiday in Italy) I'll just move on to the next car as there's plenty of Barchettas available at the moment.

Mauro sono di Milano quindi non siamo poi molto distanti
post #15 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao Paisano

Good choice in Ferrari

This is for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVGhqvl_8A

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #16 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Ciao Scalper, anch'io sono milanese, anche se vivo a Bergamo da 25 anni.
Comunque lavoro tuttora a Milano, quindi se hai piacere che ci si incontri qualche volta, mandami un PM e ci accordiamo.
Ciao
Mauro

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
post #17 of 17 Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Ciao Scalper,
a my friend who live in Riccione has a F550 Barchetta red, who bought thre years ago, before he had a F 360 spyder.
He is satisfied, he told me that 360 was much versatile and the capote had a better seal in front of barchetta.
On the other Barchetta hand has an exceptional engine, dream car.

You make a offer at "maranello service" of calvatone? He has a barchetta silver with hard top, I know the shop.

Fabio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode