Greetings from Turkey - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Greetings from Turkey

Hey guys!

My name is Halukcan, I'm a college student from Turkey majoring in Managament Information Systems. I dont own a Ferrari, I own a 2012 BMW 320d which my parents bought as a college enrollment present.

My dream is to own a shiny red Ferrari one day, It has been my dream since the age of 6. Whenever one of those machines pass by, I just cant help but stare endlessly.

The sound, the way it drives, everything about this car amazes me.

I hope I join the owners club one day
Halukcan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrari Life Halukcan.

I'm sure your membership of the owners club is not too far away. In fact, your 2012 320d would probably trade in nicely for variety of excellent F Cars!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life Halukcan.

I'm sure your membership of the owners club is not too far away. In fact, your 2012 320d would probably trade in nicely for variety of excellent F Cars!
Thanks for the encouragement, but car prices are ridiculously expensive here.

Just so you get the picture let me quote you about car prices here, there is a weird tax system

Cars whose engine size ranges from 0-1.6L are taxed %34 + 18% VAT




Cars whose engine size are more than than 1.6L, less than 2.0L are taxed %84 + 18% VAT

Engine size >2.0L are taxed %134 + 18% VAT

So after tax, 1.4L Corolla starts from $35k ( Yeah you could get a BMW for this price in the states)

A Bmw 320D starts from $65k, add some nice options like navigation, leather seats and the price jumps to around 80k

A 530D is around 130k

When the engine size is over 2L the prices go up like crazy, an average brand new ferrari will set you back at least 600k$
Halukcan is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halukcan View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, but car prices are ridiculously expensive here.

Just so you get the picture let me quote you about car prices here, there is a weird tax system

Cars whose engine size ranges from 0-1.6L are taxed %34 + 18% VAT




Cars whose engine size are more than than 1.6L, less than 2.0L are taxed %84 + 18% VAT

Engine size >2.0L are taxed %134 + 18% VAT

So after tax, 1.4L Corolla starts from $35k ( Yeah you could get a BMW for this price in the states)

A Bmw 320D starts from $65k, add some nice options like navigation, leather seats and the price jumps to around 80k

A 530D is around 130k

When the engine size is over 2L the prices go up like crazy, an average brand new ferrari will set you back at least 600k$
Welcome to F-Life ! My advise....move on into another country. Mr. Erdogan seems not to be too friendly tax wise as well as luxury items wise.
212Export is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Welcome to F-Life ! My advise....move on into another country. Mr. Erdogan seems not to be too friendly tax wise as well as luxury items wise.
The other day he said " dont drive a porsche, drive a fiat instead "
Halukcan is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Owner
 
Admiral Goodwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear Halukcan,

Welcome to FerrariLife.

Seems as though not much has changed from the old days. I spent over two years with the Navy detachment at the Air Force base at Karamursel from 1961 to 1963. Upon entering the country the customs officials established a beyanname for all the items you brought with you including your car. If you left the country without the car then the beyanname tax was 100%. It did not matter if you had sold the car or if it was buried in a landslide, the tax was still 100%.

By the way, I will admit to a bias when I suggest that you do not just limit yourself to the color red when you dream about your future acquisition.

Best regards,
Attached Images
 

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018

Last edited by Admiral Goodwrench; 03-22-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Admiral Goodwrench is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Halukcan,

Welcome to FerrariLife.

Seems as though not much has changed from the old days. I spent over two years with the Navy detachment at the Air Force base at Karamursel from 1961 to 1963. Upon entering the company the customs officials established a beyanname for all the items you brought with you including your car. If you left the country without the car then the beyanname tax was 100%. It did not matter if you had sold the car or if it was buried in a landslide, the tax was still 100%.

By the way, I will admit to a bias when I suggest that you do not just limit yourself to the color red when you dream about your future acquisition.

Best regards,
Hello Mr Goodwrench,

We've come a long way since the 60's, It was impossible to bring in imported goods into the country until the early 80's. Levis jeans, Marlboro cigarettes were sold on the black market.

Then came Mr Turgut Özal, our pro western/ liberal Prime Minister, he opened all the gates, importing became much easier, we got to enjoy the pleasures of the west.

You were in Turkey back when my parents weren't even born yet, wow.

By the way your car looks fantastic!

Best Regards!
Halukcan is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
Halukcan, Admiral- I was in Turkey in Ankara from 1965-67 while my USAF father was there. He sold our 1961 Buick to a local citizen just before we left, who had to pay ~100% taxes on the car with its big V8. We also had a beyanname list and had to be very careful to account for everything brought into the country. Glad to hear those have gone away because they were a pain. Back then the Turkish lira value was controlled at about 9:1 for the dollar, but you could get a much better exchange rate on the black market. Happy to hear that has disappeared, too.

Good luck on owning a Ferrari in the future. There are good entry level Ferraris that should be affordable in the future and relatively easily maintained. A 328 comes to mind, and they are fun cars to drive and obviously Ferraris at first glance.

Funny story on that was that the future owner took the Buick out on a test drive and loved it except he said that whenever he went over a certain speed, a really loud noise happened. In those days before cruise controls, the Buick (an Invicta) had a speed warning control that could be set to warn you when you exceeded the speed limit. When you did, a loud and annoying buzzer went off. Once explained, the new owner went away happy.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 03-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.
tazandjan is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post

Funny story on that was that the future owner took the Buick out on a test drive and loved it except he said that whenever he went over a certain speed, a really loud noise happened. In those days before cruise controls, the Buick (an Invicta) had a speed warning control that could be set to warn you when you exceeded the speed limit. When you did, a loud and annoying buzzer went off. Once explained, the new owner went away happy.
I remember that from riding in my grandmother's Buicks when I was a kid!
mk e is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Owner
 
Admiral Goodwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear Halukcan,

Your mention of black market Marlboros brought back the memory of the Marriage/Census Clerk in Karamursel recording in a small black notebook my marriage to HelenAnn fifty years ago for a "donation" of two cartons of Salems. Talk about best buys!

Best regards,

Robert

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
Admiral Goodwrench is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale