Thanks for the wealth of knowledge - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge

I am currently living in downtown Chicago and looking forward to getting a Ferrari in the "near future". No exact date for "near future" since my definition is different from my wife's definition. : )

Probably in 2 to 3 years because (A) I am extremely anal and (B) I like to take my time to do my research. Heck... It took me close to 3 years to buy my Trek Fuel EX-9 mountain bike used on ebay, which I enjoy whenever I can.

I read with great interest the sticky on the buying guide for the 360 and am leaning heavily towards the 360 due to a variety of reasons. Within upfront budget, within budget for annual maintenance, undersanding of the issues and what I should look out for(i.e., manifold issues, relay, etc.), personal preference over the 430, etc.

I have a question about which particular model year for the 360 since everybody seems to think that 2002 is the year that the kinks were mostly worked out with the exception of the manifold issues that continue to plauge pre 2008 430s, but I will post that question on the 360 buying guide sticky.

Quick question for folks when they bought their first "sports car" since I have never had a nice vehicle in my life. I currently drive a Honda Pilot and previously owned a Honda Civic, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

If you never owned a nice car before, would you recommend I "work my way' up to a Ferrari? Or go straight for the dream car that I can afford? I keep tossing and turning over this cos I think there are 2 ways to look at it:

1. Start out with a BMW M3 or some other mid-range car and work my way up to a Porsche (997.2?) turbo in 2 years. And then buy the 360 in year 4 or 5.

That way, I enjoy the journey vs. the destination. After all, if some unknown godfather I never knew about died and gifted me an Enzo 5 years ago, wouldn't every car I buy/own after that feel like a tricycle??? I guess this fantasy scenario would be a good problem that anybody would like to have... : )

2. Start out with the Ferrari 360.
Life is short. I could have a heart attack in 6 months. Imagine dying in a BMW when I could have had a heart attack in a Ferrari. Sheesh. That would suck s.

On a related note, my view on buying a nice car is definitely not one and done. Not sure if this makes sense, but my current view is (A) buy one that is near the bottom of the depreciation curve and never buy new, (B) enjoy the car for 2 to 3 years and (C) change cars every so often.

Maybe I am smoking something, but I figure I will drive the 360 for a few years, enjoy it for a while before moving on to the 430 and then do the same for the 458 when it gets "cheap" if anything Ferrari could remotely be considered cheap.

Hope you guys and girls who were in a similar situation either now or years ago can provide me with some honest/candid advise. BTW, to make the situation more complicated, if things go well financially, I could keep the 911 turbo as the daily driver and drive the Ferrari on the weekends. I think I read that a few of you do, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
here is my advice: don't go drive one! then you won't need any more advice.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
here is my advice: don't go drive one! then you won't need any more advice.
My boss had a very nice silver 2001 360 so I am SOFL.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I would suggest going out and driving the following:

- F355
- 328 or 308

and then decide which model you are most interested in. All are very different cars, have their +/- , but would make a great entry into the Ferrari ownership world.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Boxer offers sound advice.... A 328 would be a very wise move. While still expensive in terms of maintenance, for the most part its less than the other cars in Boxers list. What it isn't is a Honda.

Doesn't sound like you have ever had a car that you covet. A Ferrari isn't like any of the other cars you mentioned. It requires... no demands... your attention. Do so and it will reward you with a memorable experience.... in a good way.

911s are great driving tools.... so are M3s.... They won't stir you like Ferrari though.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #6 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
If you are not buying for 2 to 3 years then the 430 will be further down the depreciation curve and might have bottomed out. You mention that you prefer the 360 but I understand the quality of the 430 was better (and I think it doesn't have cam belts that need changing every 3 years). Just a thought.

Based on personal experience (ahem, less said about it the better), it could be a sensible idea to buy first a mid-range, rear-wheel drive performance car before going for the full fat version as the 360 and newer are pretty extreme, performance cars and it can be too easy to go beyond your own limits (although of course all modern cars have traction control, stability control, etc, which does provide a safety net). I suppose it depends upon whether you are buying mainly for looking at it and enjoying owning something so lovely, or whether you intend to thrash it down some back roads!

I agree with Boxer: try a few different models and see which one suits you best. If nothing else you will enjoy the process of choosing

post #7 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcheta View Post
Boxer offers sound advice.... A 328 would be a 911s are great driving tools.... so are M3s.... They won't stir you like Ferrari though.
This is all IMHO and I'm not trying to be controversial...but the right 911 certainly stirs me. I love my 911s and Ferraris in equal measure...but they are really quite different (to me) and complement each other, rather than compete. Ferraris have the racing history and the looks and often the sound. But the 911 has a unique driving style and charm of its own and once it worms itself into your affections it seems the affliction is permanent.

As an analogy: sometimes I really crave a glass of champagne, or a fine wine but on other days I only have eyes for a good beer (preferably a British real ale, in a country pub in front of a blazing fire...sorry...getting distracted). I don't worry about liking both. I just sampe whichever takes my fancy on the day.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I also second Boxer's suggestion. Drive a few Ferrari's. The one's in Boxer's list are all more or less depreciation free or slightly climbing in value. They are very different, you need to find out what you like.

I don't think working up is really required, I went from an Alfa 156 to a 550 Maranello... But it's good to have a good idea of which car you want, and why you want it (i.e. what are you going to use it for?). Does it tick all the boxes?

In your shoes, I most definitely would drive a 550 against a 360, not because I personally own one but because then you know the difference between the V8s and the V12s. Even if you're not interested in buying one, it's very good to get experience behind the wheels of as many different Ferraris you can get your hands on.

Good luck! The 360 would a great choice, BTW.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #9 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I do not understand how 360's are so cheap as are a lot of other Ferrari's.

The market is IMO just stupid - if there were more dealers or service centers these Ferrari's IMO would rise 20% if not more.

The 360 is a lot of car for the money and it's depreciation is non existent.

Good luck on the hunt - but my suggestion is get in the game ... never know what tomorrow will bring.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

@Boxer. Thanks for the advice. Under normal circumstances I would agree, but my concern is that I would like most if not all. Then it becomes even more confusing. Not sure if this makes any sense at all.

Right now, I want a 360 based on:
a. Financial reasons
b. Reading all the materials
c. My boss's MY2001 360

I assume that I will join the local Ferrari club once I make a purchase assuming I decide to go straight to the F-car route. At that point in time, I can get more exposure to the different F-cars.

Plus I think it will be fun to move from 1 F-car to another F-car. Might as well focus on the 360.

@Barcheta. U are being too kind. Let's face it. All my cars (including the present one) is clearly not going to excite anyone including me. : )

@Schnellmann. Looks like you are the only one advocating starting with a mid-range car so that I get exposure to what a fast car feels like. That was what I was leaning towards.

On a related note, most of my buddies are already telling me that a 911 turbo is probably the wrong car to start with. One friend with a 997 S4 advised me to start with the non-turbo version. But the 2007 997.1s are definitely within budget at ~$80K and with CPO peace of mind.

I do agree with your alcohol analogy that different cars feel right at certain times. If things continue to go well financially, I envision a 911 turbo as a DD and a F-car driven on the weekends on super long streches of country roads with no real destination in mind.

@JazzyO. You got me juiced-up! I am going to make some calls for a test drive asap. Will schedule back-to-back drives with the 997 and the 360 and decide which ones i should focus my research on moving forward.

You also convinced me that life is too short that I should not waste my time starting out with the M3.

Regardless of what I choose, big thanks to everybody for the advise. Time to go test some cars!
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Drooler,
Welcome to FL. all good advice already received. Personally if I had the means I'd jump straight into Ferrari ownership and skip the M3 experience (and this comes from a multiple M3 owner!). Like you said, life is short.

My first F car was a 360 and I'll never sell it. I was dead set on a 360 and never considered anything else. That said if the opportunity presents, test driving some different models is probably a wiser option.

Either way, go for it! And let us know how you progress....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #12 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
join the local ferrari club now. meet some people, get some rides. I remember the first group of ferrari guys i met at a hooters and we swapped keys. they got to drive my 70 challenger and i got to drive a euro TR. Can't say that will be your experience, but generally speaking, most of the ferrari guys i have met have been very nice. the more you talk to them, the more you are around a variety of cars, the more knowledge you will gain.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #13 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I don't think you need to "build" up to a Ferrari. Any of the V8s are great starters, even if this is your first sportscar.

Welcome to FL, we'll certainly help you with research during your journey.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
@Boxer. Thanks for the advice. Under normal circumstances I would agree, but my concern is that I would like most if not all. Then it becomes even more confusing. Not sure if this makes any sense at all.
All the ones I listed are very different and deliver very different driving experiences. I am pretty sure you will have a clear favorite out of the group.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode