GrŁezi mitenand - Greetings from Switzerland - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
GrŁezi mitenand - Greetings from Switzerland

Hi

Just joined recently as trying to finally get around to buying my first Ferrari!

I'm a long-term resident of Switzerland but actually English.

Have been obsessed with cars for as far back as I can remember. Love a wide variety but the two that have always stood out for me are Porsche and Ferrari.

Have owned a reasonably long list of cars (have averaged more than 1 new acquisition a year over the past 20 years) but not yet a Ferrari. Came very close in 2002 as was looking at 355 but ended up buying a 996 GT3. In retrospect I think it might have been the test drive in the 355. Didn't get long and the roads were not great so didn't really get a chance to explore the top end of the rev range. Didn't seem that fast. Probably also suffered in comparison to the 360 as also tested that (but if I recall correctly there was a two-year waiting list back then). However, did get a really good drive in a 355 last year and absolutely loved it. Not complaining as the GT3 wasn't shabby either! After my daughter was born (2004) I've always gone for 4-seaters so have had a procession of 911s with a couple of M3s thrown in. Have noticed that a lot of the time when I go out for drives it is just my daughter and I (or just myself), so now thinking that perhaps can be selfish and get a 2-seater and can finally scratch that Ferrari itch.

Not decided yet whether to go for my absolute dream car (which would mean selling the current 911) or keeping the 911 and buying a classic Ferrari as well.

Difficult to decide what to do at the moment. I really, really want my dream car but hard to persuade my wife it makes sense (and in sane moments not sure myself). I couldn't justify keeping the 911, which I use all year round, so would be restricted to fun driving in the summer. Also reluctant to let the 911 go. Only bought it a couple of months back. It is an absolute mint condition, very low mileage (just 38'000km, which for 911s is nothing) 993 C2. Drives like a new car and I love it. I also know it would be very difficult to find another (certainly in Switzerland) in the same condition. I am also fussy in that I prefer the plain vanilla narrow bodied, rear-wheel drive Carrera.

The upside of buying a classic Ferrari is that I could justify keeping the 911. But parking is a problem. On-street parking doesn't exist where I live and (in retrospect) I made a big mistake when we bought our house 5 years ago in that I only acquired 3 parking spaces in the communal, underground garage and should have bought 4. Trying to see whether I could buy or rent another spot from another resident.

Anyway, apologies for rambling post! I've already had some very sound advice to help with my search and hope to become a fully paid up member (i.e. owner!) in the not too distant future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Welcome to FLife. Tough call on what to get. Which models do you have in mind?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Welcome to FerrariLife

Difficult to give a straight answer on which car would suit you best but have you already made of F430 test drive?

post #4 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Flife

Keep us posted on your search - good thing is there is - there are no bad choices.

Ramble away
post #5 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Schnellmann

Dream car is the F40. Having trouble persuading my wife that spending £350k on a car is a good investment. She has valid point that there is huge uncertainty at the moment with debt crisis in Europe, budget deficit in the US, etc. Worried that could suffer double whammy of losing my job and the market for supercars falling off a cliff at the same time, which could leave us facing a big loss. I think risk is probably small as wouldn't need to sell the car but she (and me as well) is finding it difficult spending so much on a car (about three time the most we have ever spent). Is a work in progress. Any suggestions gratefully received

The classics I really like are the 365 BB (or possibly 512 BB although I understand the 365 is much rawer and more fun to drive) and the 246. But finding a nice one of either in Switzerland will be difficult. As a stop gap I might take a 355.

For me it must have a manual gearbox. That is all part of the F experience. That counts out a lot of the newer stuff. Also, the newer cars are brilliant but in my view they are too easy to drive too fast. I'd rather have something slower but more of a challenge. I know that doesn't fit perfectly with my desire for an F40 as that is also far too quick for Switzerland. But I want it so much I'm prepared to overlook that problem!

post #6 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
You already know what you need to do. I give you permission

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
Dream car is the F40. Having trouble persuading my wife that spending £350k on a car is a good investment. She has valid point that there is huge uncertainty at the moment with debt crisis in Europe, budget deficit in the US, etc. Worried that could suffer double whammy of losing my job and the market for supercars falling off a cliff at the same time, which could leave us facing a big loss. I think risk is probably small as wouldn't need to sell the car but she (and me as well) is finding it difficult spending so much on a car (about three time the most we have ever spent). Is a work in progress. Any suggestions gratefully received

The classics I really like are the 365 BB (or possibly 512 BB although I understand the 365 is much rawer and more fun to drive) and the 246. But finding a nice one of either in Switzerland will be difficult. As a stop gap I might take a 355.

For me it must have a manual gearbox. That is all part of the F experience. That counts out a lot of the newer stuff. Also, the newer cars are brilliant but in my view they are too easy to drive too fast. I'd rather have something slower but more of a challenge. I know that doesn't fit perfectly with my desire for an F40 as that is also far too quick for Switzerland. But I want it so much I'm prepared to overlook that problem!
I believe 212 Export knows of a very nice 512 BB for sale in Switzerland.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Schnellmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I believe 212 Export knows of a very nice 512 BB for sale in Switzerland.
Yes I saw that and have made an appointment to see it next week. Looks lovely. As you have owned a 365 BB is the difference from the 512 BB enough such that it woud be worth waiting to see if a 365 BB is available?

There are only two 246 available in Switzerland (at least that I know of). However one isn't matching numbers as has had replacement engine and the other seems overpriced - CHF 280'000 if I recall correctly.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes I saw that and have made an appointment to see it next week. Looks lovely. As you have owned a 365 BB is the difference from the 512 BB enough such that it woud be worth waiting to see if a 365 BB is available?

There are only two 246 available in Switzerland (at least that I know of). However one isn't matching numbers as has had replacement engine and the other seems overpriced - CHF 280'000 if I recall correctly.
I did a comparison of the two back in one of the early FerrariLife issues:

Ferrari Life Quarterly, The International Magazine About Ferrari & Lifestyle - Ferrari Life (Issue #2)

really depends on personal preference. If I bought another it would probably be a 512BB.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
SM- Welcome. It is funny about the 4.4 liter Boxers. When the 512 came out many owners "upgraded" their 4.4s with 512 rear wheels, front spoiler, BBi parts, etc. Now owners are removing all those parts to get back to what they were originally. All three are great looking in their own right.

Bradan in NY in the US is restoring a 4.4 that will be for sale when completed. You can read about it here:

Bradan 365 BB service - FerrariChat.com

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to F Life Schnellmann. if I'm reading all the posts correctly you are considering an F40, 355, F430 or a classic. What a variety at all extremes in terms of both financial outlay and ownership experience!

Regardless each one will deliver a wonderful Ferrari ownership experience. Big decisions ahead

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #12 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Welcome to Ferrari Life. If you wanted to get your feet wet with a classic you could look for a 308. Very different from the V12 Boxers but also an option and what I would consider a classic. In 2012 I might even consider a Testarossa a late classic.

For a modern car I think either the 550 or 360 would be a great first choice to join your 911 stable. Just decide if you want a GT or now and that will help eliminate one or the other.

Keep us updated on your search and welcome again.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Schnellmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Welcome to F Life Schnellmann. if I'm reading all the posts correctly you are considering an F40, 355, F430 or a classic. What a variety at all extremes in terms of both financial outlay and ownership experience!

Regardless each one will deliver a wonderful Ferrari ownership experience. Big decisions ahead
Top of list is definitely F40 if I can make that work, then classic. Although I love all Ferraris I prefer the older, more flawed (more characterful?) cars. Plus must have manual gear-shift. 365 BB/512BB appeal because look lovely and are full fat, 12 cylinder Ferraris. 246 just looks gorgeous and similar to early 911 in concept and performance.

Note you have a 916 and 848. Lovely. 916 still in my eyes best looking bike ever. Had a 748 myself until a dozy pensioner brought my biking career (and almost my life) to a premature end. Had an 848 as a hire bike at a track day at Brands last year. Lovely. Such sweet handling. If I hadn't promised my wife that I will never ride on the road again there would definitely be an 848 Evo in my garage right now (as well as a GSXR 750 and an Aprilla 250 RS)

post #14 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Top of list is definitely F40 if I can make that work, then classic. Although I love all Ferraris I prefer the older, more flawed (more characterful?) cars. Plus must have manual gear-shift. 365 BB/512BB appeal because look lovely and are full fat, 12 cylinder Ferraris. 246 just looks gorgeous and similar to early 911 in concept and performance.

Note you have a 916 and 848. Lovely. 916 still in my eyes best looking bike ever. Had a 748 myself until a dozy pensioner brought my biking career (and almost my life) to a premature end. Had an 848 as a hire bike at a track day at Brands last year. Lovely. Such sweet handling. If I hadn't promised my wife that I will never ride on the road again there would definitely be an 848 Evo in my garage right now (as well as a GSXR 750 and an Aprilla 250 RS)

Schnellmann, I do like your taste in bikes. Gixxer 750 was on the list when the 848 was bought, but the lure of Italian machinery was too much! Aprilia 250 RS would be a delight and I think an MV Agusta F4 750 would round off a nice little collection!

Best wishes on the Ferrari hunt. F40 is the daddy, though an earlier classic V12 or V8 would be wonderful fun as well (at a fraction of the cost)

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #15 of 15 Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
. F40 is the daddy,

errrr.......F50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode