Any Ferrari Lifers in HK? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Any Ferrari Lifers in HK?

Hi Guys,
Just want to gather people in the forum who is living in HK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
present
post #3 of 51 Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Ni How

Not in the Far East, but did live there for years....LOVE HK. one of my most favorite cities

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 51 Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
I also lived in Asia for a number of years. HK is one of my favorite cites. No place else is like it.

Believe David Lee is in HK.
post #5 of 51 Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Just jointed this forum.
HK native living in San Francisco. Visiting Hong Kong / China 3-4 times a year. Would love to attend some HK events...
post #6 of 51 Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL. Just came back from a trip to Hong Kong and met David Lee there. Also, happened to stop by the Ferrari dealer/showeroom in Hong Kong. At least two of the special Ferraris displayed in the showroom had "sold" signs on them. Plently of exotics and owners there. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 51 Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
Love HK, spent 3 years commuting there from SF, guess I've been there 20 or more times... There's a great exotic car showroom under the Grand Hyatt at Wan Chai, they sell everything there it's kind of fun to browse!

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #8 of 51 Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Another HK owner here; just found this forum digging around on the web looking for new wheels for my 550. Victor, Raymond - are you guys on the island or kowloon side?
post #9 of 51 Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jznd View Post
Another HK owner here; just found this forum digging around on the web looking for new wheels for my 550. Victor, Raymond - are you guys on the island or kowloon side?
Can you drive HK registered Ferraris easily into China?
post #10 of 51 Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
No, not easily. To drive across the border you need "Dual Plates", basically a China license plate bolted below the Hong Kong license plate. To get a China plate requires jumping through a lot of hoops, including proof that you own a business in China, have a certain amount of revenue, etc. etc. Dual plates are not uncommon, but the average motorist will not be able to get access to dual plates.

Occasionally, car clubs will organize group drives into China with special license arrangements. I've never done them though - drivers in China are absolutely nuts. Every single time I've been in China (no exaggeration) I've seen at least one, sometimes two, major accidents. A car I was in nearly rear-ended a BMW 3 series at 120 kph on the highway because the driver decided to come to a dead stop to chat on her phone, not on the shoulder, but in the passing lane. Nutty stuff like this happens all the time. Even worse are the carjackings that happen in Shenzhen (the border town in China adjacent to HK).
post #11 of 51 Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
No, not easily. To drive across the border you need "Dual Plates", basically a China license plate bolted below the Hong Kong license plate. To get a China plate requires jumping through a lot of hoops, including proof that you own a business in China, have a certain amount of revenue, etc. etc. Dual plates are not uncommon, but the average motorist will not be able to get access to dual plates.

Occasionally, car clubs will organize group drives into China with special license arrangements. I've never done them though - drivers in China are absolutely nuts. Every single time I've been in China (no exaggeration) I've seen at least one, sometimes two, major accidents. A car I was in nearly rear-ended a BMW 3 series at 120 kph on the highway because the driver decided to come to a dead stop to chat on her phone, not on the shoulder, but in the passing lane. Nutty stuff like this happens all the time. Even worse are the carjackings that happen in Shenzhen (the border town in China adjacent to HK).
Sounds like the situation has not changed much in the last 10 years. Had a scary drive from HK to Guangzhou back in the late 90s.
post #12 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Have u tried the FOCHK (Ferrari owners club HK). We meet almost every month and it arrangs drives to china, Malaysia, Australia etc. Only six thousand for member dues. May see u there.
post #13 of 51 Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 62
Quote:

I have had a China plate for years and drive lots in China. No problems
post #14 of 51 Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm18 View Post
I have had a China plate for years and drive lots in China. No problems
If my memory is correct, HK is RHD and China is LHD. That must make for a fun transition at the border.
post #15 of 51 Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
If my memory is correct, HK is RHD and China is LHD. That must make for a fun transition at the border.
No big deal. I also have a LHD car in China and a LHD car in HK. Every combination covered.
post #16 of 51 Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm18 View Post
No big deal. I also have a LHD car in China and a LHD car in HK. Every combination covered.
Sounds a bit like my situation. A few LHD cars and a few RHD ones.
post #17 of 51 Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
New member from Hong Kong

Hi Guys,

Another ferrari owner/chatter here. Is this thread still active. My car is at the dealer and I sure can get some advice on service. Have the 348 spyder for almost 12 years and just joined this afternoon.
post #18 of 51 Old 04-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
Hi Guys,

Another ferrari owner/chatter here. Is this thread still active. My car is at the dealer and I sure can get some advice on service. Have the 348 spyder for almost 12 years and just joined this afternoon.
There are about 5 guys from HK here.
post #19 of 51 Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

RHD 599 GTO for sale

A friend of mine in the UK is looking to sell his RHD 599 GTO. I have seen the car, it is outstanding and spec is great. PM me if you are interested and I will pass on the contact.
post #20 of 51 Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
A friend of mine in the UK is looking to sell his RHD 599 GTO. I have seen the car, it is outstanding and spec is great. PM me if you are interested and I will pass on the contact.
unlikely to be of interest in hk. lots of 599gtos were sold be dealer. few have shifted already. uk car has uk tax paid which on a very young registered car not in excessive demand is likely to be a deal breaker. when car older less of an issue as hk frt also falls. right now hk frt will be at full rate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode