a# assembly # - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2003, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
a# assembly #

What is this number? I've seen here and there. Can someone tell me what this # is. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Be specific: what is the number refering to? I remember seeing in several photos of the F40 assembly line, sequential numbers written on tape, applied to the door-jam. Obviously, when the car was finished, the number was removed.

I also know of some coachbuilders who numbered the bodies and related parts with a matching number. A number completely different than the chassis number.

???
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2003, 11:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
All cars have assembly numbers to indicate in what order they where finished. Also very handy when there are parts needed for that particular car on the assembly line. Indeed coach builders also had 'jobnumbers'which I believe is the same.

Niels

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus

post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Peter,
Sorry I can't be more specific because I have no idea what it is. I was on a dutch website which showed the first Enzo in Netherlands. It had after S/N a#xxxxx and I had no idea what this was. Then in a magazine I saw the same for a 575M where is said assembly a# and then knew what the a was on the enzo site but not what it is for.

Neils,
Does the assembly number go back to day one? IE if a car has assembly #51,200 then this is the 51st thousand 200th car to be made ever? The S/Ns are now in the 130,000s but I know at one point odds and evens were used for different things.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2003, 08:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Andrew,

No, they do not got back to car 1. I am not totally sure about when it started but I assume it will be aroud the late eighties. F40s have them I am sure, but before that I do not know. The early car had jobnumbers from Pinin Farina and the like. There seems to be no very logic order. Most of the time they will indeed follow each other.

Niels

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus
post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
Ferrari start using assembly numbers somewhere near serialnumber 80000. You can find the plate somewhere in the engine room. I believe that it represents the order on the assembly line. That's why there is no exact relation between serialnumber and assembly number. I mean, if s/n 90000 has ass# 10000, this doesn't mean that s/n 90001 has ass# 10001.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandaalen
Ferrari start using assembly numbers somewhere near serialnumber 80000. You can find the plate somewhere in the engine room. I believe that it represents the order on the assembly line. That's why there is no exact relation between serialnumber and assembly number. I mean, if s/n 90000 has ass# 10000, this doesn't mean that s/n 90001 has ass# 10001.
Evan,
You know your stuff. Glad to have you here and hope to learn more of your knowledge.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode