Michelotti Daytona #15965 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-19-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Michelotti Daytona #15965

Hi

I am interested in this car which appeared at lemans in '75. It practised but was withdrawn along with the other NART entries after a dispute with the race organisers. I think it is interesting because It is a unique design and a serious race-oriented machine rather than just a cosmetic modification. I know it appeared at a couple of events towards the end of 2002 - Mugello and the new Le Mans historic races - and there are some pictures of it on the barchetta site. If anyone knows where there are other good pictures or articles I would be interested to hear about them.

Cavallino number 11 features a Daytona by Michelotti. Can anyone confirm it is this actual car? If so, is it a detailed article with good pictures?

Thanks
Don.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-27-2003, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
More info...

The car has been (wrongly?) identified recently as 15967.

There are some pics here to check out...

http://www.barchetta.cc/all.ferraris...mel/index.html

Number 35 is the car in question.

Mostly I would like to know if it is featured in Cavallino 11.

Don.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Cavallino 11 features a Daytona Spyder Michelotti, but I doubt it is the same one. No s/n is given in the article, but picture shows a whit SOFT top and NO B-pillar. Also another shaped nose section and normal mirror on the drivers side. The fueller cap is also different and there is no split window. The black plastic 'stripes' are also not on this car.

I think it is another car.

Niels

post #4 of 20 Old 02-27-2003, 04:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Thanks for checking that out Niels.

Don.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-15-2006, 08:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
here a topic in another website, with lots of pics :

http://www.ferrari-modelisme.com/for...ighlight=15965

i\'m keen on the Ferrari 456
post #6 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
donm, good luck with your search. I was looking for pictures of #15965 when I built my 1/43 model. I found it very difficult to find much information, especially pictures from Le Mans '75. As you say, it qualified with a lap of 4'31.8 but was withdrawn by Chinetti as a result of his Dino 308 gt4 not qualifying.
Attached Images

post #7 of 20 Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin View Post
donm, good luck with your search. I was looking for pictures of #15965 when I built my 1/43 model. I found it very difficult to find much information, especially pictures from Le Mans '75. As you say, it qualified with a lap of 4'31.8 but was withdrawn by Chinetti as a result of his Dino 308 gt4 not qualifying.
15965 was owned by Dan Ward in the Seventies. He used to drive it on the street. I think Dan might still live in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. I saw him out here a few years ago.

The 308 was Bill Schanbacher's. He used to have a TAXI sign on the roof because of all the passengers he took out on track days at Riverside.

The Ferrari Owners Club at that time had some really remarkable and incredibly nice people in it, but one would struggle to find a better man that Bill. Sadly, he was killed in an auto accident in Italy around 20 years ago. I could be mistaken, but I think it was in a Mille Miglia in his OSCA.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
15965 was owned by Dan Ward in the Seventies. He used to drive it on the street. I think Dan might still live in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. I saw him out here a few years ago.

The 308 was Bill Schanbacher's. He used to have a TAXI sign on the roof because of all the passengers he took out on track days at Riverside.

The Ferrari Owners Club at that time had some really remarkable and incredibly nice people in it, but one would struggle to find a better man that Bill. Sadly, he was killed in an auto accident in Italy around 20 years ago. I could be mistaken, but I think it was in a Mille Miglia in his OSCA.
The Dino 308 GT4 Le Mans is #08020 and was owned by William H. Schanbacher of Playa del Rey/CA from 1975 to the late 80s. It then went to Howard Torman. Yes, Schanbacher was killed in an accident during the Mille Miglia, his car crashed into a truck. The Dino was featured as "Car of the Month" by Edwin K. Niles in the FOC USA magazine, Vol. 14 #3 in 1979.

Marcel Massini
post #9 of 20 Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Hi guys, when I was in italy for the world finals in 2008 . I saw this car and many other historic's.
Attached Images

post #10 of 20 Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
Hi guys, when I was in italy for the world finals in 2008 . I saw this car and many other historic's.
15965 belongs to a collector in Switzerland.
It's been on the market on and off for quite some time.
Here are some more pix.

Marcel Massini
Attached Images

post #11 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
This car is still for sale .
post #12 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
This car is still for sale .
Last seen offered by GTC in Marseille. Here's what I have as history compiled from the different adds, probably not complete.

15965 72 365 GTB 4 Daytona A Michelotti NART Spider conversion White & Orange 24h Le Mans 1975 livery/Blue leather LHD Daytona Competition eng.# 15685
late 1974 - Rebodied by Michelotti for the NART in order to be raced at the 24 H DU MANS by order of Dan WARD who was a very wealthy customer of Luigi CHINETTI
1975 : Shown at the Salon de GENEVE Sent by Chinetti to DIENA at Modena in order to prepare the car for the 24H Du Mans 1975. Original engine replaced by Competition Engine from Daytona Competition Chassis 15685
1975 : Entered in the GTX class at 24H du MANS by Luigi Chinetti’s Nart team and qualified with MALCHER / LANGLOIS – DNS - Then back to New York and delivered to WARD in Los Angeles.Not paid in full because the car was not raced in a 24H race
1978 : Engine serviced by Bruno BORRI from Los Angeles. Entered by Otto ZIPPER for 1978 24H DAYTONA with DEVENDORF / KLINE / KEISER and qualified – DNF
.. - Sold to John MECOM ( Texas ) who has the car reconditionned to street use
January 1987 : Bought by Pat Ryan at a Scottsdale Arizona Auction
August 2001 : Bought by G.T.C. in USA and imported to Europe, taxes paid in Europe
November 2002 Engine, gearbox, suspensions fully rebuilt to GR4 series 3 specifications. 470CV.
2003 Raced by Jean Guikas at the Shell Historic Ferrari Maserati Challenge in Spa : as quick as the very special Daytona Competition of John Bosch. 3rd Overall of the race Category C …Leading a very well known 512M …
July 2006 Sold to Michel Abellan in Switzerland Raced by Michel Abellan or Sebastien Boulet at Laguna Seca, Le Mans Classic, Tour Auto 2007, Ferrari Historic Challenge etc….
2008 Totally repainted in the colors of the 24H DU MANS 1975
2009 Totally revised mechanically
11.9.12 – GTC, Marseille 9,000 miles Eligible for Le Mans Classic, the Tour Auto and all the major historic races on the planet. Officially accpeted by the factory FERRARI in September 2002 as a Daytona Competition. The car has also the Scheda technical di ammissione” n°01306.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Any more pics? Very interesting car.
Also looks as if it has a targa roof?

So is it completely turned back into a competition car or can it still be used on the street?

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #14 of 20 Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Was a stock Daytona spyder sent to Michelotti to rebody?

Or was this a chassis sent to Michelotti?
Also was the car being ordered by Dan Ward, through NART?
Though Coco Chinetti Jr. has been reported as a designer of some other Ferrari NART cars, did he claim design involvement with this car?
Were there two of them? (I know there is a turquoise blue NART Daytona Spyder but that has a different design and somehow looks much smaller in the photos than this one).
Was there a time period when Dan Ward couldn't get rid of this car--people didn't know what it was and it wasn't appreciated for the fact it was a factory prepped race car?

By the way, a race driver who raced a Daytona at Daytona told me the steering
was so hard with racing tires that his hands were bleeding at the end of the race
post #15 of 20 Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Massini View Post
15965 belongs to a collector in Switzerland.
It's been on the market on and off for quite some time.
Here are some more pix.

Marcel Massini
Has it now been repainted resale red, Marcel? What a shame if it has! I liked the white race livery. It also seems the trunk strap has moved, how strange.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #16 of 20 Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Has it now been repainted resale red, Marcel? What a shame if it has! I liked the white race livery. It also seems the trunk strap has moved, how strange.

Onno
It's been repainted in between and fortunately is now back to white-blue red.

Marcel Massini
post #17 of 20 Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Excellent!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #18 of 20 Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Anybody ever heard what Dan Ward sold it for?

I can't remember if he street drove it after it was race prepared, but I would like to include this car in a speech at Monterey about rare finds and if it was a low enough price (say lower than a Ferrari Daytona spyder of the time) I'd include it. On the other hand maybe a car can be considered to be a "barn find" if at any point in its life it is unappreciated/distained only to finally be recognized by one of the true cognoscenti.
If all collector car purchases are bought at the going price at the time, some people would say they weren't "barn finds," which they think have to be bought at a bargain...
post #19 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
post #20 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
cool thanks. have never seen that before. and welcome to the site.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode