What is the North America SN #1 for 360 Spider - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Thanks again Terry. This is VERY interesting info!!! I would love to connect with the owner of 53A2Y0122397 to see if they have any info on why their serial number came about as its only 5 cars after mine (53A3Y0122392) AND it also has the correct USA check digit instead of the 0 the Argentine NAS cars had. Is that something that's possible? Also, are there any other 53A(X)Y cars (where X does not = 0) that you are aware of??

I also thought about assembly number. However, everything I've been able to unearth about my particular car seems to suggest the opposite of what I understand you to say. It looks like my car has a very early assembly date, hence the Y and a lineal number only a few cars after the Argentine cars, but for some reason it, as the others, was assigned a lineal number that was in the 2001 range despite an assembly in 2000.

Anyway, FNA did confirm a few things for me that supports its an early production car using a lineal number that falls in the 2001 range. First they did confirm my car's assembly date was mid 2000 but wouldn't be any more specific. They also confirmed it has a correct and authentic VIN for a US market car, meaning it has the USA required check digit instead of a 0 like the other 2000 NAS cars have. The car was "accepted" in Miami in 2/01 with about 1K on the clock when it should never have had more than 50, however, it arrived in the USA at a different port of entry than Miami sometime in 2000, thought they wouldn't say exactly where. It was privately registered for the first time in 3/01 yet the first US market cars had VINs of 53A(X)1 (again, where X is any number but zero) and shipping to the USA for these cars didn't start until mid to late Q3 2001. That's where I'm at. I would like to confirm it was one of the national importer display and press cars but I haven't been able to confirm that with absolute certainty, though that's sure what looks to be the case.

Thanks again. I know this is tedious and doesn't add much to the knowledge base, but I still would like to eventually solve the mystery that is my car's VIN so I continue to dig and question and dig some more, at least when time allows. And your insights and everyone else on this site, are much appreciated. LMK about a possible way to connect with the other 53A(X)Y car you are aware of, as well as if you know of any other Y year spiders with correct USA market check digits in their VIN. They may already have the answer?

Thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
You have to remember the rest of the world does not use model years like we do, but date of production. Ferrari typically starts US MY cars in September or so of the preceding year so a US Ferrari on the Assembly line next to a Euro or rest of world Ferrari will have a year designator (MY) later than the Euro car even though they were built at the same time. In some cases, when a new model comes out, like a 456 GTA meeting OBDII/DOT standards, you can have MY Ferraris built in early summer of the preceding year.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM

to add more confusion

in my db ZFFYT53AXY0121935 clearly is the earliest US-spec. Spider by Serial Number

post #24 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Matthias. I truly appreciate your checking your database. ZFFYT53AXY0121935 is actually not a US serial number as according to FNA its missing the correct check digit as the 9th character which makes it a USA car. It has to be a digit between 1 and 9 to be a USA car. Thanks again! J-
post #25 of 26 Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StouteTiago View Post
Hi Matthias. I truly appreciate your checking your database. ZFFYT53AXY0121935 is actually not a US serial number as according to FNA its missing the correct check digit as the 9th character which makes it a USA car. It has to be a digit between 1 and 9 to be a USA car. Thanks again! J-
I always fear about those moments when I sound like somebody else... However, I would not have joined conversation before I wouldn't have checked graphic testimonials. Picture is not my copyright.
Attached Images

post #26 of 26 Old 11-29-2019, 06:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 398
Wow - there's some misinformation in this thread.

Okay, so first, when I was at the 2004 Ferrari French Quarter Classic, I saw a silver/black 360 Spider, s/n 119754 - unfortunately, there's a red/black RHD 360 Modena that's rumored to have the same serial number.

Then I have a 360 Modena, 121622, that was described as a Spider - kind of an off mistake to make - but it's got a Modena VIN, so I keep it listed as a Modena. It also has a salvage title, in case you ever consider buying it.

And so that brings us to 121935, a US-spec car whose VIN was posted directly above this post, and there's nothing wrong with the VIN. Whoever told anyone that the check digit on a US Ferrari can't be a letter, and can only be between one and nine is wrong. Very wrong. Check digits can be zero through nine, or an X. Seeing as I have more VINs in my database than anyone else, I think I know the subject a little bit. No dispute here, this is the earliest-known North American 360 Spider. Then there's 122012 - which, coincidentally, has a zero for a check digit. Then there's 122015 - and that has a six for the check digit, so, no problems there, right? Then there's 122017 - another X check digit - liveried in Azzurro with Cuoio interior. Then there's 122021 - it has a one as a check digit (I can't believe we're even having this conversation). Then there's 122121, 122377, 122382, 122384, 122386, 122388, and the earliest Canadian 360 Spider I have is 122905.

I need an Aventador!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode