Ferrari Life Forum banner

previous owners

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  134282 
#1 ·
I'd love to talk with all the previous owners of my F355 and find out all the history; good and bad.

Is there a way to locate them via the VIN?

Eddie

#2 ·
Eddie- No, but if you have service records, you might be able to track them down. Too many privacy issues now for dealers to help out with names, so still probably very difficult.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Eddie, sometimes you can work three pieces of data at the same time (Carfax, VIN and internet searches) and gather up a decent history on your car. When I purchased my car, I only had the service records from owner #2. I am owner #5, so there was a pretty big gap in the history.

I used Carfax to find the dealership where the vehicle was originally sold new. By providing my VIN and a copy of the current registration to that dealer by fax, they were willing to give me a verbal download of the service and maintenance history from owner #1.

Owner #2 was easy to find since I had a copy of his service records. I sent him an email and he responded quickly to give me a little extra information on his ownership, the approximate date he sold the car to owner #3, and the geographic region that #3 lived in.

Believe it or not, I used the tips from owner 2 to do a long and thorough search of the old FChat postings and found that Owner #3 had been active on that forum and briefly on this one. I sent him a PM and again, he responded within a week and generously provided a lot of details and photographs over the phone and by email.

I purchased the car from a dealership, so owner #4's contact information was never offered to me. But now that I've compiled everything from #1, 2 & 3, I plan to give the dealer an inquiry letter to send to #4 on my behalf.

Filling in all the gaps on my car's ownership history has been almost as fun as driving it! Good luck on your search!

#11 ·
Ah, flew right over my head!

No worries though.

I received the car yesterday and at least, the car looks...perfect. Obviously babied on the outside (engine bay is cleaner than my office...).

So, hopefully the "insides" were kept up.

I'll post the original purchasers name as I did notice it in the manual.

In the end...it's a toy and (most) toys have no ROI. The 355 feels "right" to me; a nice blend with the past and the present so this should be fun.

I was visiting the UAE a few months back, went to Ferrari World and enjoyed the movie they had on Enzo's passion, decided right then and there, "but of course!"

Thanks for the recalibration...I'll take what I receive from FoW under advisement!

Cheers,

Eddie

#17 ·
Thanks guys; I'm thrilled with the car. Kinda interesting as I don't recall being this giddy about a toy since I got my first drum set when I was 12! I've had way too many cars for one person but none have produced this little tingle (except maybe the HJ45 at our place in Colorado; Wetpet, it's my "Drypet").

Anyway, so far so good; 100 miles, no CEL's! ...however...I now understand the bypass-valve-shuffle (rattle)! That has got to go! The box is a Tubi so I suppose that'll stay for now and I suspect I'll replace the OEM bypass with the Capisto fail-open one.
I looked (white glove) at the engine compartment yesterday and although it is super clean, I noticed a little "dust" here and there. I don't know if it's just...oh my gosh...dust, our OH MY GOSH...DUST!! Hopefully these chat rooms have just may me a bit paranoid. Either way, I'll take it to the shop this weekend and have a ground turf inspection done...
I think I'll order the Tubi headers (just to follow suit with the box). From there, if the shop turns up ANY threat, I'll just have them drop the motor and pull the heads. If nothing else, maybe a port and polish. We can SEE the valve guides (replace if never done; which it appears not); check the liners, etc, etc. Install the gold connectors, additional heat shields and a few other (hopefully) preventative thingies. I figure (once I saw the magnificent condition of the car), I'll just sort it out now (be personally sure) and not spend my time checking for fibers in the engine bay, listening for exhaust ticks, sensing a loss in the power band, etc...
The PPI came out nice with good compression but one suspect leak down. I posted some numbers and seriously, it was a 50/50 split as to the car was about to self-destruct or be the holy-grail-eternal-life-driver. I talked to Ferrari and they said "the numbers were well within spec" (I tried to get them to sign the dotted line but their phone must have dropped the call; went silent; imagine that ??)

I'll post a few pics later but honestly, it's a red and tan spider; just like all the others albeit a pristine example.

Wetpet; what was I thinking! I won't post the owners name on the sight...you're right. (Also, I've been following the Financial Meltdown thread you are on. I wish you guys would solve the worlds problem so I could let my kids out of the locked house!! :hide: convoluted mess we have here!!!)

Again, thanks for the well wishes and the nice community. If your ever in Houston...

...oh, and game 7...how do you get ahead 3-0 and loose 4-3??!! LOL..you deserved it!!! (fortunately, I'm a bit of a freak, I'm not a big "sports-game-person"' only have a box to take clients to :deal:)

Cheers and Happy Wednesday!

Eddie

#18 ·
Eddie- Glad you love your new toy. The F355 really is an outstanding car, with classic good looks, plenty of hp, and a six speed. What more do you need? The upgrades you are contemplating will help, but I seriously doubt you are going to have to rip her open for major surgery any time soon. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

#19 ·
Eddie, as others have said, congratulations. Have you gotten acquainted with Mark over at Sphere Motorsports yet, or have you found another good shop?

#20 ·
Thank you John.

Yes, I spoke with Mark as the PPI was being done. He is a great guy for sure! We went over the results and he felt pretty confident I had a vehicle worth pursuing. So, as you know, done deal.

I'll tell you (as if you don't already know), Mark is a first class act. Not only did he, with patience guide me, he even worked up the cost to do "this and that" so I would have those costs just in case...for me that was huge. I don't mind spending the money needed once I go "all in", I'm just not very fond of surprises that could/should have been uncovered.

It looks like we may have rain today and with the dark mornings and getting-darker-sooner evenings....only 50-ish miles so far :thumbsdown:; no CEL's :thumbsup:!!

I'll tell ya, I'm loving this! This car has nice pull from 4k to 8k. It sure feels better than my M Roadtser, Cayman S and Maserati Gransport; maybe it's the soundtrack accompaniment that adds to the feel of speed. NOW I really "get it".

I mean, do you know.......this thing has it's own little gloves to cover the steering wheel and seats in case it gets cold?! How sweet is that?! (My wife was laughing at me as I dressed the F all up in it's cute little clothes...I told her I was playin' dress-up.

I was on the phone yesterday with Dave Helms (I suspect many know his name). Boy, he is a real class act and blew through a long of fact/myth discussion and frankly, I am much more at ease with the concerns well meaning forum member can inspire.

I guess, at this point, the first (of the very few ) thing I need to address...is the ...............bypass valve buzz!

So John, I guess in the "Houston" section we can rustle up some get togethers?

Happy Thursday all!

Eddie

#21 ·
Eddie, good to hear you've hooked up with Mark. I understand there are a few other independents around, but I've been satisfied with Mark so I haven't pursued any others. Before getting acquainted with Mark, I did have some initial work done on the car at the Lambo dealer, and they were OK too. Both Mark & the Lambo dealer have Leonardo's, and I think those two are the only ones in town.

You're probably already aware of the C&C get togethers on the 1st Saturday every month over at Vintage Park (Louetta & 290)? Normally there are several hundred cars of all shapes/sizes/marques, along with several thousand tourists. Houston Coffee & Cars | Where All Automotive Enthusiasts Meet To Share The Same Passion. It starts around 8 or 8:30, but I learned the first time if you don't get there by 7 you won't be able to park with the other Ferraris - it fills up that quickly.

The local FOC or FCA crowd are fairly active too, and get together on the 1st Sundays, IIRC, for brunch, etc.

Look forward to meeting you in person!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.