s/n or VIN spotting - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
s/n or VIN spotting

As some of you guys know, there are people who are really crazy. They want to track down every Ferrari made by their own unique number, the Vehicle Identification Number. Some of these guys are on this site. Because a lot of you guys visit dealers and garages, you can help us.

How? Well, it isn't that hard. From late daytonas the chassisnumber is written on the steeringcolum. For older types you will have to open the hood, but mostly this doesn't happen at dealers. From around 1980, the VIN was introduced. This is the same as the s/n but with more info. It is 17 digits long and can tell a lot about the original market, options and so on. The VIN is also stamped on the steeringcolum, so it is very easy to spot it and write it down. There are dealers who don't like it when people are spotting s/n so photographing them is more easy, because that doesn't attract that much attention. Later models have the s/n in the windows. It appears as for example A1275. This means 101275. The A is 10, B is 11, C is 12 and so on. Just photograph/write down the s/n or VIN and the type of car, and send it to me [email protected]. I will make sure the car is entered in the registry here.

So if you spot a Ferrari on the street, or at the dealer, grap your pen and let us know. For more questions about VINs/ chassis numbers, or how to help, just ask here or PM me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2004, 06:14 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
I'm sorry for my ignorance, bbut what's a steeringcolumn, do you've got a pic of this as an example?

It's an instant classic. It's an iron fist in a velvet glove. It's a Ferrari.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Basman, immediately forward and on top where the round steering 'meets' the steering column, there a plate. This plate carries the vin number of the car. In the case of the 328, 348 and 355 (if I remember) the vin number is sandblasted on the windscreen. But they stopped the practice from the 360 onwards.

So next time you see a Ferrari, look through the windscreen and check the top of the steering column. You can't miss the vin number plate.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2004, 06:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Thanks, I will

It's an instant classic. It's an iron fist in a velvet glove. It's a Ferrari.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
456M GT vin

In a dealer yesterday, and uncomfortable with some of the answers on a 456 M GT I was very interested in acquiring. So uncomfortable I passed, even after driving it and feeling pretty good about the car.

Vin #ZFFWL44A910125402.

From the dealer I could not locate the # on the registry. The body had some flaws (horizontal ripple in the carbon fiber hood, dimples in both headlights, one in the windshield post below the hood line, pealing halfway up the drivers front post) the windshield appeared to have been replaced, the exhaust was not stock . . . and mysteriously the dealer had no idea. Carfax clean, but non-conclusive.

Is there a way to trace the ownership, options and service history on this vin?

The dealer did show me a receipt from Las Vegas Ferrari for the 30K service (car is 2001, 8770 miles) and said the car was owned first in Utah, then Nevada by owner #2.

But I've run out of clues and did not like the answers from the dealer. How do I go further?

Peter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode