Does the new car warranty pass to second owner if you buy from an independent? - Ferrari Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tazandjan
  • 1 Post By Fiammenghi Engineering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Does the new car warranty pass to second owner if you buy from an independent?

Hi folks.

I’m looking to buy a used F12. There appear to be 24 cars available in Switzerland but only seven are within the Swiss Dealer network.

I think I have found a 33 month old car with 12,000 km on the clock, a good specification, and at an apparently keen price but it is offered by an independent dealer.

Does the European four year manufacturer’s new car warranty automatically pass to the new owner if the car is sold outside the main dealer network?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
It should pass on to the next owner, and so does the 7 years of free scheduled maintenance.
Obnic likes this.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 393
Hello Obnic,

Terry said correct.

Which colour combo have, and compliment f12 is a wonderful beast ....

Fabio
Obnic likes this.

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]

post #4 of 6 Old 08-31-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Does the new car warranty pass to second owner if you buy from an independent?

Thank you chaps for your answers.

Iím looking at a November 2015 car. Itís Grigio silverstone, cioccolato interior. (Swiss seem to prefer darker colours, Iíd love a more classic cuoio interior myself).

The independent dealer thinks the warranty is three years or expires November. I had thought the warranty was four years on these cars so Iíd have time to build a relationship with my local Ferrari dealer before seeking an extended Ferrari warranty. Will I still be able to extend the warranty in November even though the car is not Ferrari approved?

Thanks for you help with this.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
She will have to go through an inspection process at a Ferrari dealer to qualify for an extended warranty. I thought the European warranty was four years, too, but a quick call to a dealer should confirm that.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to my local Ferrari garage.

The Swiss warranty is three years with an option to extend to fourth and fifth at full factory warranty level.

The current warranty will pass to a buyer even though it comes from an Indy dealer. The same would be true if the original owner had extended the warranty.

However, things arenít so clear cut with respect to the first ownerís right to extend the warranty for years four and five. This right appears to transfer at the discretion of the Ferrari factory.

Luckily, my local Ferrari dealer offered to check the carís history and to confirm with Ferrari that they will honour the option to extend the warranty. I just have to get him the last six digits of the VIN number so he can see the car on the Ferrari database.

ó-

I also learned that if one buys a car outside warranty from an independent, there is a route back to Ferrari cover but the car has to have been outside the Ferrari network for at least two years. Then thereís a complete inspection and overhaul step to bring the car back up to best condition at which point you can buy a limited warranty.