Couple questions on PPI results - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Couple questions on PPI results

Just got the PPI details back on a car I'm considering and wanted some unbiased opinions.

Owner stated the clutch was replaced 12k ago but the PPI results show it's 75% worn meaning replacement is likely in the near future. Car is in a major metro with bad traffic so I'm guessing the high clutch wear is due to regular stop and go and hill usage. I'll be adjusting my offer accordingly as this will mean a first year maintenance cost of at least 5 to 7 thousand dollars at minimum.

TPMS sensors were throwing an alert, but the tech couldn't state definitively whether this was in individual sensor or the control unit. While the cost for this type of repair doesn't worry me much I'm not sure if I should infer from this that regular maintenance may have been lacking.

The only other issue that concerns me is a minor seepage around what I believe is the F1 hydraulic actuator unit. Picture of the leak is attached, seems minor, and didn't seem to concern the service manager too much. My bigger fear is whether this could be indicative of a more serious failure as the price tag on the F1 actuator assembly is difficult to clearly enunciate while simultaneously hyperventilating and crying...

On a more positive note, the car's interior and underbody look great for the mileage and the options list is almost perfect for me. I've made an offer given the condition but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the risk with the leak near the F1 assembly. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--Gene C.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by erthmeld View Post
Just got the PPI details back on a car I'm considering and wanted some unbiased opinions.

Owner stated the clutch was replaced 12k ago but the PPI results show it's 75% worn meaning replacement is likely in the near future. Car is in a major metro with bad traffic so I'm guessing the high clutch wear is due to regular stop and go and hill usage. I'll be adjusting my offer accordingly as this will mean a first year maintenance cost of at least 5 to 7 thousand dollars at minimum.

TPMS sensors were throwing an alert, but the tech couldn't state definitively whether this was in individual sensor or the control unit. While the cost for this type of repair doesn't worry me much I'm not sure if I should infer from this that regular maintenance may have been lacking.

The only other issue that concerns me is a minor seepage around what I believe is the F1 hydraulic actuator unit. Picture of the leak is attached, seems minor, and didn't seem to concern the service manager too much. My bigger fear is whether this could be indicative of a more serious failure as the price tag on the F1 actuator assembly is difficult to clearly enunciate while simultaneously hyperventilating and crying...

On a more positive note, the car's interior and underbody look great for the mileage and the options list is almost perfect for me. I've made an offer given the condition but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the risk with the leak near the F1 assembly. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--Gene C.
Hi Gene,

i imagine that the car is an F430,
The fast clutch wear is due to regular stop and go and hill usage but also could be to the driver because if he did'n use in correct way the wear increased fast ....

The TPMS sensors alert could to be due to the discharged batteries of the sensors inside a wheel, life is normally 5-6 years.

Gene i checked on spare parts catalogue, as per attached picture, for me the leakage is not by the F1 actuator, but by the interface with the gearbox (levers box), is easy to remove (replace the gasket or reinstall new liquid gasket).
An important thing to me check is the headers, they was broken frequently on 430 (at least until 2009 delivery date).

Best Regards
Fabio
Attached Images

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,185
Gene, I'll withhold any comments of my own as I have no experience with the F430 (I own a 550 Maranello), but I would suggest that you repost your questions in the Modern V8 forum as we have some knowledgeable owners and a pro or two who "hang out" there, and who may not see your post here.

Normally we forbid people from cross posting to reduce the amount of spam on the forum, but your questions are legitimate, and definitely not spam.

So try reposting here: Modern V8s: 360, F430 - Ferrari Life

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Fabio, thanks so much for the confirmation! I was thinking the same thing about that being the mechanical interface for the F1 system given it's closer to the gaping square hole on the side of the tranny diagram where I'm guessing everything interfaces with the internal shift forks/linkage. I didn't see a part differentiation on the diagram between a mechanical component an the F1 actuator assembly so I was worried they are only available as a single part as well (especially given the cost of the part).

CribbJ, that sounds like a good plan. I tried to keep my questions in here to stay on topic but I'll reach out to that section as well for some feedback.

Cheers,
--Gene C.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode