Price implication 365 GT 2+2 without engine and gearbox - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Price implication 365 GT 2+2 without engine and gearbox

Hi all,

I have a question that you may be able to help me with.

I know that the price of a 365 GT 2+2 appears to be up around the $200k mark; however I may have the option to purchase one that has had the engine and transmission removed for use in a 250GTO replica (sad as it was numbers matching).

The car has been repowered with a v12 from another marque.

The replacement engine was modified to fit the Ferrari chassis, not the reverse.

Also the Koni self levelling suspension had collapsed and was replaced with coil overs.

Can anyone advise of the implication such changes may have on the value? I'm guessing that I may be looking effectively at the value without an engine and transmission?

Also does anyone have a rough idea of the availability and cost of a replacementferrari power unit and transmission?

Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,190
Cerb, first, welcome to FLife!

If I were you, and speaking to the seller as a potential buyer, I wouldn't consider this car a Ferrari any longer; it's now only a Pininfarina body/chassis, with a hodge podge of different parts.

I'm a big believer in this Enzo quote: "I don't sell cars; I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engines in." So, there you have it from Enzo himself. The value of a Ferrari is in the engine.

So IMHO, its value of this car is probably somewhere between a hotrod and a kitcar. If I were on the buyer's side of the fence, and without knowing anything more about the condition, I wouldn't go into it for more than $10K to $20K, but that's only what it's worth to "this" potential buyer, YMMV.

I don't know the availability of the old Ferrari powertrains, but I'd think they're highly prized for just the type of conversions you mentioned.

Good luck, and if you do get into it, it would be great if you'd start a project thread here!

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
This is the 365 with the Jaguar XJS and Getrag from South Island New Zealand. I saw the ad the other day. Unfortunately the car does not look in great shape in any respect so you are not even dealing with a good body shell. I would suggest a very close inspection with a price somewhere between NZ$10,000 and NZ$40,000 depending on what you find. Good luck...it is certainly not worth the NZ$90,000 asking price.

When in doubt, GAS it !!

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Unless you have a line on a replacement tipo 245 motor/tran, I would walk away unless the price is less than 1/4 the current market for a driver. The best of the best of QMs are bringing $350k US right now. But w/out its motor/tran, it is just a sad oddity. Plus, it sounds like it is rough shape otherwise.

Ferrari probably made about 1000 tipo 245 motors; they were in the QM, 365GTC, 365GTS and the 365 Calfornias. Because of the demand for it created by the fake industry, I can't imagine you could get one (plus tran) for less than $80k US. Just a guess. Not as popular a motor for that industry as the tipo 209 that went in the 330s, but still . ..

Most QMs that are still on the road probably do not have their original Koni self-levellers; everyone knows it and it's not a big deal. The best re-builder in the world of those units is in Oz.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Thank you so much for your input guys it is really appreciated, especially as I am pretty naive in the Ferrari world.

In view of the advice I willgive this one a miss.

You are correct ForzaPoppy it is the jag e type v12 powered car from South Island. Looks like it cost them about USD $75k with a strong engine which they took out- a shame as at that price I'd have thought there was remove for a good restoration.

I'll keep looking for my Ferrari- I know it's out there. In the meantime I'll keep driving the cerbera.

Thanks again,

Tim
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 115
Good thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode