Starting my quest for F430 Coupe - Advice appreciated - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 400
Starting my quest for F430 Coupe - Advice appreciated

Hi,
After being practical for years I have finally decided I need to get a Ferrari.
I am looking to get a Red F430 coupe.

If you guys who have bought a prancing horse can give me insights I would be very grateful.

Here are some questions I thought of:

0) What price is fair? (taking year and mileage into consideration)
1) Buy from a dealer or individual? Pros? Cons
2) 1-2 owner car or it doesn't matter?
3) Recalls :
3.1) Cracked Headers - Covered under warranty? If not what is the cost of fixing?
3.2 ) Any other for a paddle car? ( I know there are some for manuals and sypders)
4) Cost of Clutch replacement?
5) Transmission issue? Paddle problems?
6) Where do I find a expert to check the car out?
7 ) How much should I expect to pay the expert.
8) Do I buy the car without seeing it in person?
9) What signs to look for :
9.1 ) A solid car
9.2 ) A car to avoid

Thanks for you responses.

-kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
Hi,
After being practical for years I have finally decided I need to get a Ferrari.

Here are some questions I thought of:

-kim
Kim,
Welcome to the forum, you will indeed find many of the answers to your question.
However, I suggest you do a preliminary search as you you find most, if not all, have been answered many times here.

I hope you didn't mean to imply that buying the Ferrari will be impractical?

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 52
As mentioned do a search. I even have a thread on the first page that outlines my entire research and buying process.
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...er-report.html

I started to come up with responses to each question but a lot of it is answered by doing a search .

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I am doing the research so far not finding some of the answers.
Hmm, impractical... well that is a little to harsh, more like "not needed but good for the soul"
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Slayer of Souls thanks, I read it and found it useful.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
happy to help

efg,

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. One of my questions was, "when does the honeymoon phase go away?:" or something like that. Well, everyone who responded agreed that it never does fade. I am proof that they are correct. My serous search started in October 2012 and i brought her home June 2013. It was one of, if not the most exciting part of my life thus far. So i'll bite and answer your questions as best i can.

-prices seem to have dropped somewhat for the 2005 and 2006 models (mines 2006).
-i think they are asking around 120 to 135 for decent ones. 2008's and up have not come down much as they are still in the 150's to 160's (same as when i was looking)

-clutch change is usually the most expensive maintenance item at around $5K to $7.5K. i would probably opt for a car that will not need this anytime soon. i'm hoping to get at least 5 driving seasons in mine b4 i look to get this done in my car.

-inspection locale? well, i think many of us on here can give you a recommendation within 24 hours once you find out where your dream car is located. I used Fast Cars in Redondo beach, CA for the F430 and i used Miller Motocars in CT for when i was contemplating a 360.

-F1 vs 6 sp? don't know if this is what u were asking about but i originally wanted 6 sp until i drove the F1. It was the only F1 i drove and i bought her. It's that great! shifts lightning fast and is waaaaaaayyyyy more fun! not only that, my wife can drive her with ease. she likes to tell her sisters that she can drive the Ferrari. i think some women get intimidated by the Ferrari. Well, i was at first too though. probably because i never drove anything with that much horsepower or have that high of a price tag.

you are welcome to PM me or email. glad to help. work has been really busy so don't take offense if i don't get back to you for a couple of days.

Cheng
[email protected]
post #7 of 12 Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM

pictures motivate!

well, here's some motivation for you (hope this works):

1st is image of her at the dealership at Ferrari of Newport Beach (i'm second owner). second image is when she was being delivered (fresh off the truck). last image is wife and I on a cruise with a friend. Hope this helps motivate you!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Awesome!

LOve the car on the trailer coming to be delivered
post #9 of 12 Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
I just went through this process myself, purchasing a 430 Spider.
Pricing you can get a feel for just searching the internet and at the same time see how the mileage and price coordinate. I also noticed price variance by area - Florida seemed to be the least expensive area, but this could be off set by the trip to Florida to look at them.
I was not comfortable enough to buy a car without seeing it.
A PPI is a must. Several things were revealed on the PPI, and I went to use them in price negotiation. However, this was negated as the dealer was a stand up guy, and he took care of them (he had to negotiate with the owner as he was selling the car on consignment). This was $8,000 worth of work.
I felt more comfortable dealing with a dealer rather than an owner, however I have heard from others who have had good experiences.
My best advice is not to wait to long. You can always put it off and wait for the next one, but then you don't own it or get to drive it. I am very happy with what I got, but you know if I had bought it 6 months earlier I would have been 6 months happier.

I never wanted to go into a gunfight with the cheapest gun!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Forshage, good insights. In my experience the consignment cars are tricky. The dealer has little information and trying to find service records are difficult. For all, yes all, dealer cars I could not get much in service records or get them to answer the questions "Have the headers been replaced?".

I will write a full detailed description of what I am going through. It is definitely ALOT more work than I thought :-)
post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I have finally got a F430. Thanks to all with there insights made the entire process much easier. I will in the next few days write up the hurdles I jumped through, whether they were necessary or not, to get to the goal.

More details coming soon to a new thread(post) near you.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 PM

congrats efg! can't wait to see some pics! details please.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode