Will my Ferrari get gtounded?! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Will my Ferrari get gtounded?!

I'm looking to buy an F355 but I've got a potential issue - my building has a basement carpark with a ramp, and I don't know how the car would cope given I assume the F355 has a very low road clearance. I spoke to the developers of my building and they said this:

Viewed from the top and bottom of the ramp there are no 'sharp' changes in level - they are fairly gentle curves.We already have 2 sports cars which park in the basement - a Porsche and a MX5 - which get in and out without difficulty, so unless the prospective vehicle has an exceptionally low clearance, I do not foresee a problem.

I can't really try before I buy (I imagine) - I could always try renting one for the day I guess. But does anyone have any initial thoughts as to whether this is likely to be problematic. There are also some speed bumps but I can bypass them down a side road if necessary.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
probably not a problenm. The only problem would be the front spoiler. You could measure the height of the spoiler and find a similar car to drive through there or find the lowest pont and measure the difference in your current car to what the 355 is. or you can carry a few lengths of 2x4.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Tony- Hitting all the transitions at an angle usually helps quite a bit on clearance, too. If you do get an F355, first order of business would be to make sure ride height is as recommended and she is not lowered. It is the lowered Ferraris that seem to have the most problems.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
For every problem there is a solution nowadays...

Even if the F355 you want to buy is lowered or will probably scrape,KW Suspensions offers a lifting system ( HLS ) which raises the car 45mm.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. In fact I'm now thinking of getting an F360 instead. I understand it has substantially better clearance so is much less likely to ground - does that sound right?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mind you, and at the risk of having a conversation with myself, I've just noticed the 360 has a longer wheelbase than the 355 so that would mean more likelihood of grounding in the middle (breakover angle?)...
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
I would check the Porsche's clearance and wheelbase and contact the owner to see from the side as he passes really really slow how much there's left and see if the Ferrari will be okay. This method is not really precise, but it's still a starting point. It's still best to rent the same car and test it, cautiously.

Basement car parks are probably the things (connected with cars) that I hate most. I've scraped the paint of my side mirrors and edges of bumpers several times on some awfully tight corners there. Once, while searching for a new flat and seeing one of the offers, which was perfect to me in every other aspect, I tested the entry to the garages - the angle was so bad and it was so steep (building was on a hill and garages were on the back side) that I got in really difficult with my BMW 3 Series saloon (stock suspension, 140mm clearance) and on the way out one of my rear wheels got in the air and because the car lacks a limited slip diff, I was unable to get out. I had to do it with higher speed to get out but I hit the bottom of the car...the worst that I've ever encountered...couldn't even believe that someone can build such a thing...

Good luck!

Edit: Yup, the longer the wheelbase, the easier to ground in the middle. The reason we got a short wheelbase Wrangler for off-roading years ago.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Tony- Only way to know is trial and error. Too many variables for a definitive answer without trying it with a real car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode