208 GTS/GTB for Italian Market - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
208 GTS/GTB for Italian Market

Hi, regarding the 208 GTS/GTB for the Italian market, are there any issues for the engine? All i want to say is that by the time Ferrari, as far as i know, had never before or after dealt with Turbocharged engines there are possible reliability problems compared with the 3L engine of the 308. Maybe some benefits of the 2L engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Not all the 208 GTB/GTS models were turbocharged. The engine is basically unchanged from the 3 liter version except for being sleeved to bring down displacement and having new pistons. The turbo models had lower compression ratio pistons and were fairly mildly boosted.

We have at least one turbo owner here, so maybe he can chime in on any problem areas. You can download OMs for the 208s at ferraridatabase.com. There was a Dino 208 GT4 before the Pininfarina GTB/GTS models.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 02-12-2014 at 09:34 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
As taz correctly said the earlier 208 gtb and gts were naturally aspirated engines from the 208 gt4. They are generally beautiful but very slow cars, with just 150 hp.
In 1982 Ferrari launched the turbo version, able to reach 220hp. You can easily recognize it from a 308 by the black details on the front and the additional NACA ducts on the car's side.
In 1986 Ferrari launched the last generation of these cars, following the 328's style. Those cars are called just "GTB Turbo" or "GTS Turbo", without 208, and thanks to the intercooler are able to reach 255hp and performance very close to the 328.
I know several people owning a 208 turbo and what I know from them is that they are not unreliable cars as it is often said but they need to be properly maintained, or the turbo could easily over heat and give issues. And, considering they have been quite cheap for many years, it is easy to find cars that had mechanical issues.
They are beautiful and rare cars (only few hundreds made), prices appear to be on a upward trend and the new F1 with turbo engines will for sure make them more interesting for any F collector.

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Taz for the information, i was unaware of the fact that early 208 are non turbos.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sw4n for your reply. You are in Italy, i had a conversation the other day with a person who was in Italy during the '70s and used to have a 512BB that sold because of a new at the time legislation for luxury cars. I suppose this is the same reason that created the 208 so as to avoid taxes? And most likely many good V12 cars from the '60s and '70s went to the States during those years?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Thanks Sw4n for your reply. You are in Italy, i had a conversation the other day with a person who was in Italy during the '70s and used to have a 512BB that sold because of a new at the time legislation for luxury cars. I suppose this is the same reason that created the 208 so as to avoid taxes? And most likely many good V12 cars from the '60s and '70s went to the States during those years?
Hi Pantera,
Exact , you have centered tre Italian problem .......
Also Maserati on those years explored the turbo way and low engine capacity.
GTB turbo is a nice car

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode