no books - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
no books

hi,

what sort of value(compared to a documented car) would you place on a car without complete history(a few missing years I think) ?

thanks

marce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Marce, welcome to FL. Introduce yourself a bit and that may foster more feedbacks.

Difficult to answer your question without being more specific ?

That also may vary considerably from car to car ?

I am sure there are more qualified people here to answer that.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Marce- Welcome to Ferrari Life. If the missing years are far back and recent records show she has been well maintained and she passes a rigorous inspection, it would not bother me. Some potential buyers, however, would have a conniption fit if old records are missing. So it really depends on how anal you are personally.

See you are looking for a Maranello in the other thread, so what I said still goes. The newest ones are 13 years old, so a missing record here or there is not that big a deal to me.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i couldn't care less about "receipts". If it passes a thorough inspection it's worth more to me. I have seen numerous "receipts" for majors (including my own car) that were not done at all, partially done or poorly done. Not impressed!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
I agree with what Wetpet said
Get a good PPI
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
I have to disagree with my distinguished colleagues.

There is a recent post that discusses differed maintenance on the 360's oil heat exchanger and how that can lead to leaks and ultimate failure. That's not something a PPI would likely pick up until it's too late.

Documentation is simply one variable, which should be weighed with all the other variables. There might be rationale for a car with incomplete or no documentation, but it would be situationally dependant.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Last edited by Killer58; 02-04-2014 at 03:46 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
The more documentation, the better. But you can't say it's worth x amount less. That all depends on the quality of the car and the asking price. It also depends whether we are talking classics or not, for classics documentation is more important, in the opinion of most buyers. This is not really for maintenance assessment, but much more for the story of the car. It's great to have a car with a great history record, pictures from 50 years ago, and so on.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I agree with killer and jazzy. It is situational and I probably didn't express myself clearly. My point was that for the more modern cars we are usually talking about buying, I wouldn't value most documentation over a good going over. If there was a specific problem known for specific models, that can be easily worked into a PPI. Paper documents from a guy trying to sell you a very valuable asset (specially a used car salesman!) are only of limited value to me as I have seen many cases of the worthlessness of those documents. YMMV!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 15 Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I have to disagree with my distinguished colleagues.
There is a recent post that discusses diferred maintenance on the 360's oil heat exchanger and how that can lea to leaks and ultimate failure.
That's not something a PPI would likely pick up until it's too late.

Documentation is simply one variable, which should weighed with all the other variables. There might be rationale for a car with incomplete or no documentation, but it would be situationally dependant.
Good to know, I change my position Dave and Jazzy. PPI plus all available service records. Imagine an owner 50 years later comparing maintenance costs!

I trust that Competizione will make my service records available to a future buyer.

This is yet another good reason to stay with someone your trust, is a respected shop, and one that also has automated records management. Richard and Fernando are the best!
post #10 of 15 Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
I agree with Jazzo and Wet, but I wonder at the thread's initial 'no books'. Are you also implying no original books? Much different in terms of value if those are missing.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 104
I prefer as much records as possible.

When I sold my 348 after 20 years, I had records from day 1 and the right buyer came along and valued the care that I took of the car.

As for books..... all the original books (especially the warranty book) are important.

Having said that, at the end of the day it is a used car and a thorough inspection would be great to have.

Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS
post #12 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

If there are a couple of years missing, like I said, it would not bother me if the ones present show everything has been well maintained. Like the coolant system, if worried about a transaxle cooler, especially since the books do not call for coolant changes on the early modern Ferraris. Three of my Ferraris had no records and they worked out great, but were brought up to standards very quickly.

But this thread is quite old and the OP has probably already made his decision.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

hi terry,

yes I ended up buying the 550...it has an owners manual,and the 2" of importation documentation ,but no record of any work carried out on the car at all!

the ppi was done by an indi that was previously 10 years in the local dealer,the report found a couple of minor things,the very generous seller wanted to fix these before any sale.

so it's been 2 months now and the carhas been driven once or twice a week,generally at highway speeds.the car did develop a power steering leak...turned out to be the hoses,they have now been replaced with a quality product,that are not too expensive,sagging undertray has been secured,drivers door checkstrap and pin replaced and reinforced.

my plan is to tint the windows as our summers here get very warm...windscreen included!

and maybe have some fun for next years event...see below

Antilag Racewars 2013 - Wyalkatchem Airstrip - YouTube

cheers

marcel
post #14 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 15 Old 07-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Marce- Congratulations. Those power steering pump lines are a known weakness on all the early 65 deg V12s.

Seeing all those Australian hot rods makes me feel sad that GM and Ford are stopping production in Australia. We benefitted here from those hot rods and products like the late Pontiac GTO and current Chevrolet SS will be no more. GM is leaving a design team in Australia, from what I hear, so hopefully they can continue to come up with some high performance vehicles for Australian and the US, even if they are imports into Australia. At least the new C7 Corvette has a RHD version.

If she is an import out of the UK (C in the VIN), you may be able to contact J Tremlett and see if he has any info on who owned her in the past. If UK RHD, she was probably imported by Maranello Concessionaires, now split into three parts when Penske's home company bought them in 2004 or so. Their sales organization might have some service info for you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 07-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode