Purchase a Repainted 328? - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Purchase a Repainted 328?

Inspected an 1987 328 Red/Tan 26K mileage 2 owner car. It is an 8/10, needs a belt and A/C service or conversion. Negotiated a price of 40K.

During PPI the mechanics and a paint person were struggling to determine if it was resprayed. But paint gauge shows a consistent 12-14 mils all round with a bit higher numbers on both rockers.

Current owner insists that it was not painted during her long term ownership. She purchased car from neighbor, who has since passed, but she insists he did not have it painted either.

One mechanic believes, if it was done, it could have been done at port or dealer before being sold. Is that really possible?

How will this affect resale price? Would you buy or pass?
Dom3210 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Addition

Is there anything I should inspect to insure no accident damage?
Dom3210 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Welcome to Ferrari Life. The last 328 was produced in 1989, so a repainted 328 should not be a big deal. If nobody can tell if she was repainted looking at her, even less of a big deal. Just about all of them have been partially repainted to take out rock chips, etc. Many front bumpers have probably been painted multiple times, like my 575M's.

If you want any air conditioning at all, do not convert her to R134. R12 (freon) is a much better refrigerant and is widely available from shops with the recycling capability. Keep using the freon or your A/C will be pretty useless.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Owner
Sponsor
 
David @ FluentInFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sarasota FL
Ferrari Life Posts: 956
GTB or GTS?

If it's a GTB, $40K is cheap. If it's a GTS, I'd just keep looking...In the FWIW department, most cars of this era has seen some some of paintwork at some point in their lives, The paint was pretty poor to begin with, although most of the paintwork I've seen on the 328s has been decent, if you're OK with a few bugs here and there embedded in the paint, thin spots and an occasional drip.

On the 3x8 models, the usual tell tale signs that they've been painted are visible along the rear quarter to sail panel seam or the edge of the windshield trim. If those areas look "virgin" either the paint is original or somewhat who actually cared repainted the car. To repaint these cars correctly is an expensive proposition.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
David @ FluentInFerrari is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Why

Why keep looking if GTS?




Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
GTB or GTS?

If it's a GTB, $40K is cheap. If it's a GTS, I'd just keep looking...In the FWIW department, most cars of this era has seen some some of paintwork at some point in their lives, The paint was pretty poor to begin with, although most of the paintwork I've seen on the 328s has been decent, if you're OK with a few bugs here and there embedded in the paint, thin spots and an occasional drip.

On the 3x8 models, the usual tell tale signs that they've been painted are visible along the rear quarter to sail panel seam or the edge of the windshield trim. If those areas look "virgin" either the paint is original or somewhat who actually cared repainted the car. To repaint these cars correctly is an expensive proposition.
Dom3210 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
GTBs are rarer, 1344 vs 6068 GTS, and worth more.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 43
I know GTBs are rarer but isn't 40K a good deal on a GTS with 26K miles Red Tan two owner?
Dom3210 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
not if it has been repainted and needs a major and other work. My 328 just went in for a belt service and we found plenty extra. and it's a pretty well maintained car I have owned for 8 years.. of course, many things come into play here.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Owner
Sponsor
 
David @ FluentInFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sarasota FL
Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
not if it has been repainted and needs a major and other work. My 328 just went in for a belt service and we found plenty extra. and it's a pretty well maintained car I have owned for 8 years.. Of course, many things come into play here.
Dom,
This sage advice pretty much sums it up...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
David @ FluentInFerrari is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Owner
 
JohnnyTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
GTBs are rarer, 1344 vs 6068 GTS, and worth more.
GTB's are rarer but GTS's so much more fun !


Rgds
Johnny
JohnnyTS is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Owner
 
JohnnyTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom3210 View Post
I know GTBs are rarer but isn't 40K a good deal on a GTS with 26K miles Red Tan two owner?
Dom, it could be a good deal if the car is in mint condition and if there are plenty of recent maintenance records. and 328's are selling for more $ lately.

and you are correct, a low miles 328 are always more expensive.

how does the interior and engine bay look like, when last was fuel hoses replaced, how is the shocks and suspension bushes and rubbers ?

send some pictures of engine bay - will give us an idea of how clean the car looks.

Johnny

Last edited by JohnnyTS; 12-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.
JohnnyTS is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTS View Post
GTB's are rarer but GTS's so much more fun !

Especially if you have a 'tache and a Hawaiian shirt to go with it
Attached Images
 

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
With a 25 year old car, if you plan to drive it, the focus should not be on original paint or not. You should be concentrating on what state it is in mechanically. Next consider how good it is to look at, both the state of the interior and exterior. Then have a look at the documentation and history (imported car, history from new, etc). Find out if the colour is original. If it is, find out if the paint is original. Then make sure it doesn't have any modifications.

If you want a museum piece (but why would you, with 8,000 made?), reverse the order above.

Personally, I would much rather have a repainted 328 because the likelihood is it was painted much better than at the Ferrari factory.

328's are great cars. If you're over 6 ft, I would advise you to go for the GTS.

Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Owner
 
MBFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VA
Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
In the next five years or so I am going to repaint my 308QV, so if he has solid documentation it would not make me hesitate at all. These cars (at least the ones that are driven) are about due for a repaint, at least when they are around 30 years old.
Just my .02 - this of course assumes no damage is found when the PPI is done.
MB


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom3210 View Post
Inspected an 1987 328 Red/Tan 26K mileage 2 owner car. It is an 8/10, needs a belt and A/C service or conversion. Negotiated a price of 40K.

During PPI the mechanics and a paint person were struggling to determine if it was resprayed. But paint gauge shows a consistent 12-14 mils all round with a bit higher numbers on both rockers.

Current owner insists that it was not painted during her long term ownership. She purchased car from neighbor, who has since passed, but she insists he did not have it painted either.

One mechanic believes, if it was done, it could have been done at port or dealer before being sold. Is that really possible?

How will this affect resale price? Would you buy or pass?
MBFerrari is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Monterey, California
Ferrari Life Posts: 124
A GTB is worth more to whom? A GTS is everything a GTB is plus the roof can be removed.
As many have said, paint isn't the issue, it's only what looking at the car from the sidewalk tells you, which isn't too much. The major impact on cost is original desirability plus rarity, which only partly explains the skyrocketing value (or at least the asking price) of 246 Dinos. As for me I just purchased a 328 GTS because I really like it, and compared to 246's they're very, very cheap...for a nice Ferrari! Convertibles/ragtops/targa tops are or will always be more valuable than fixed roof models, in the long run, really. If you don't believe that just look online at models that came in both styles and compare auction prices. Big difference, not in favor of fixed roof models.
If the paint bothers you have it repainted by a good shop. Dealers generally farm paint jobs out, and add a markup, so go direct. The price of a major service should equal or pass the price of a good repaint. Remember that preparation is everything when it comes to bodywork.
Be thankful that Ferrari painted the interior parts black (engine bay, trunk/boot, etc.) so you can touch up wear spots with inexpensive black spray paint if you like.

Remember to add tax, license, and a $5~7K price to the car to do a major service. Check out the suspension, steering, electrical stuff, lights, brakes & other stuff as well. The paint is superficial; mechanical service and work is not.
My advice is to do your homework and buy what you really want, not what someone else tells you you should like.

Rich S.
Monterey, California
Rich S is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Owner
 
MBFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VA
Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
In defense of the previous poster, the GTB's are getting a little more on the open market. On the other hand, in support of your comment I love taking off the roof and having the wind blow through what is left of my hair, so I bought a GTS.

I think Rich's posts are very accurate though. Just get what you like and make sure it is mechanically squared away. Repainted or not really doesn't matter unless you are buying it as an investment. Then it matters, but most of us who own Ferrari's actually drive them.

MB


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
A GTB is worth more to whom? A GTS is everything a GTB is plus the roof can be removed.
As many have said, paint isn't the issue, it's only what looking at the car from the sidewalk tells you, which isn't too much. The major impact on cost is original desirability plus rarity, which only partly explains the skyrocketing value (or at least the asking price) of 246 Dinos. As for me I just purchased a 328 GTS because I really like it, and compared to 246's they're very, very cheap...for a nice Ferrari! Convertibles/ragtops/targa tops are or will always be more valuable than fixed roof models, in the long run, really. If you don't believe that just look online at models that came in both styles and compare auction prices. Big difference, not in favor of fixed roof models.
If the paint bothers you have it repainted by a good shop. Dealers generally farm paint jobs out, and add a markup, so go direct. The price of a major service should equal or pass the price of a good repaint. Remember that preparation is everything when it comes to bodywork.
Be thankful that Ferrari painted the interior parts black (engine bay, trunk/boot, etc.) so you can touch up wear spots with inexpensive black spray paint if you like.

Remember to add tax, license, and a $5~7K price to the car to do a major service. Check out the suspension, steering, electrical stuff, lights, brakes & other stuff as well. The paint is superficial; mechanical service and work is not.
My advice is to do your homework and buy what you really want, not what someone else tells you you should like.

Rich S.
Monterey, California
MBFerrari is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 12-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Rich- To people who have enough money to buy either. My 308 was a GTS, but facts are facts.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #19 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Owner
 
JohnnyTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 357
I would get a GTB for the track and use my GTS for occasional road trips and Sunday afternoons...

Rgds
Johnny
JohnnyTS is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
this is not true. in fact, most of the really expensive cars now were VERY undesirable when the came out. the reason so few were made in many cases. They couldn't give away the superbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
The major impact on cost is original desirability plus rarity,
Rich S.
Monterey, California


100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale