Decision time, testarossa,550 maranello, f360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Decision time, testarossa,550 maranello, f360

Hello, i have a question regarding these models,

i have driven many fast cars and many slow cars =), but the fact is that many of the slower cars , like a normal early golf with 100hp are more exilarating and feels faster than my new audi S5 with 355hp.

my question is simply, if i go out on a sunday drive, wich engine sound will go down my spine and when i put the throttle to the ground put the biggest smile on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
They all will.

But the 360 provides exactly what I'm looking for in a Ferrari experience.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

correction, all of them does it, but wich does it best, have you driven all of them?

post #4 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Yes.
While they are all very fast in their own way, they are vastly different driving and sounding.

The 550 is a nice GT cruiser, but didn't give me the spine-tingling feeling.
The TR feels like a fighter jet off the catapult.
But the 360 to me seems spooky fast and the engine sound is intoxicating.

Hopefully, Modena 360 will weigh in, he has both a 360 and TR and regularly drives them both. He can give you a better comparison between the two.

post #5 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Ok Thanks,

i think im leaning more thru the testarossa, as i think it will be more wise seen 10 years from now, but i will se if anybody else fills in, on this topic, i think the 550M for me is to "GT" for me, love the engine sound behind me =)
post #6 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Depends how many curves are involved in your sunday drives. if a lot, i wouldn't recommend the tr, i would go with the 360.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
I'd reinforce what David said about the 550. It's a great GT that devours the miles on a long drive without a whimper, but IMO, it lacks a bit of soul.

It's almost "too" civilised, but having said that, when you turn the ASR "off" and the SPORT switch "on", you quickly discover the other half of its Jekyll & Hyde personality.......

It's also the last of the "analog" cars, where your right foot is directly, and mechanically linked to the butterflies in the throttles, and the gauges, etc. are directly wired to their sensors. It was also nearly the last model to offer a 6spd gated shifter (there were some 6spd 575's, too and Taz would know how many.)

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_samsonite View Post
Ok Thanks,

i think im leaning more thru the testarossa, as i think it will be more wise seen 10 years from now, but i will se if anybody else fills in, on this topic, i think the 550M for me is to "GT" for me, love the engine sound behind me =)

I have a TR and have driven easily over 100 550's and 360's on the road and race track. You pose a question that no one can answer for you but but you. They are 3 very different cars and everyone comes away from driving them with different impressions of the experience. 3 people will not be affected by the same color in the same way nor will they describe it the same, the experience of driving those cars, the sensory input and the reactions to it are vastly more complex.

I know it is difficult but you really need to drive them and see which speaks to you.
post #9 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Brian says it very well.

My personal inputs are as follows, I hope they will help you concluding
I occasionally yearn for a blast in my V12 Scaglietti and I won't be ok until I've done a long journey in it. It's a massive craving and highly satisfying to let the V12 cruise effortlessly the whole day with occasional power blasts. After a long journey in the V12 I always go straight back to my mid engined 8 and 6 cylinder Ferraris. These are my favourites and I spend 80% of my Ferrari driving with the engine behind my back. That's because agility and crisp response is my main teacup. Also because I don't drive cross continent as frequently as I used to and many of my long journeys are nowadays also with the Dino and the Roller. There was a time when my only long distance alternative was the V12. It blew me away to the point where the Roller had to stand back completely for long journeys and only used around town.

Ed has a good point with what type if roads surround you.

In the end Brian's right, only you can know. If you can try these cars out thoroughly then you should be able to make up your mind. If not, hopefully all replies combined will help.

Personally, apart from the nice interior I don't like the 550 nor the 575. On track they are total turn offs IMO but then again they are not designed for hard core driving. Push the 575 on a fast mountain road and you'll cook the brakes. I hate that. I think the 360 is a much better conceived Ferrari. If you want to go V12 in the same price range, go for a Scaglietti. It's a giant leap forward and more or less the same price level as a 575.

If you are a sporty driver a mid engined Ferrari is a long lasting love affair. It's a car where Ferrari shines with their racing knowledge and letting you feel it. If you can afford it first get a 360, preferably a CS. Then with time you acquire a V12 and live with both worlds. Bear in mind that the TR is not as agile as a 360 but a lovely and super charming car.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #10 of 41 Old 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Such different personalities. For me, being 6'3" and mostly legs, comfort is a big factor. I can't get really excited buy a car that I'm completely uncomfortable in. The TR is a fun car, but I don't fit into it well enough to actually enjoy it.

The 360 is without a doubt and excellent car and well balanced. Of course getting a Spider or Coupe or 6spd or F1 trans can change you perspective on that car. It's definitely exciting to drive and plenty comfortable as well.

Personally, I think the 550M is an underappreciated car. If you take the time to set up a 550M nicely and give it a good exhaust, that torque can really keep you on edge.

post #11 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Hope someone who ones both will whey in, hopefully i can test both cars, but i have tested the f430 and if the 360 is like that, then its a fun car, but i doubt it,
The Testarossa for me is becoming more and more beutiful and if it drives like it lookes im pleased, as long that it doesnt feel lika a boat to drive. the roads where i live is quite mixed with highways and small roads, with speedlimits around 50-120km/h
post #12 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

We drove the 430 and 360 before settling on the 360. The deciding factor was we liked the lines of the 360 better, including the interior. However, others have had the opposite feeling. We also wanted a stick, which at the time there were more available in the 360 model.

post #13 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
We drove the 430 and 360 before settling on the 360. The deciding factor was we liked the lines of the 360 better, including the interior. However, others have had the opposite feeling. We also wanted a stick, which at the time there were more available in the 360 model.
Congrats!

A 360 with a stick is a dream!

Salve,
Capo

post #14 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Hope someone who ones both will whey in, hopefully i can test both cars, but i have tested the f430 and if the 360 is like that, then its a fun car, but i doubt it,
The Testarossa for me is becoming more and more beutiful and if it drives like it lookes im pleased, as long that it doesnt feel lika a boat to drive. the roads where i live is quite mixed with highways and small roads, with speedlimits around 50-120km/h
Hi Pete, welcome to the forum buddy.
I own a TR and a 360. Short answer, buy both.
I have had the 360 for 20+ years; the 360 for ten+.

They are two great cars, but both very different in many ways, but both are 3-pedal cars.

The TR is a brute, visceral blood thirsty demon. In my mind, it is a classic Italian muscle car and an iconic example of the excessive 80's. The sounds of the flat 12 engine are unlike that of any other car, a cacophony of music relegating the stereo obsolete. Mine has a Tubi with cat deletes and test pipes. At 3,000 rpm it simply roars. No ABS, no power assist steering, no power brakes, excellent road feedback. Pushed to the limit on a sharp curve, the back end will step out and give you a shot of adrenaline. My wife can hear me coming home almost one mile away. It draws more attention than my 360 (thank you Miami Vice). That's not necessarily a good thing. I think that over time, this car will be a classic. The styling of the car is timeless. I've modified mine to bring it into the 21st century with F40 big brakes, HRE 18" wheels, a carbon fiber glass engine cover, K&N filters, carbon fiber heat shield, etc. to improve performance and update the styling. It's not your typical TR with mods.

The 360 on the other hand is, simply put, very refined. With a Tubi, it has a higher engine pitch than the TR and wails at 6,000 rpm while 3,000 rpm provide a very low, but loud grunt. With power steering it's not quite as much fun to "drive" as the TR because it's easy to steer, more precise point and go, and has much less driver feedback than the TR. The throttle response is amazingly quick like a snake bite however. Given the driving characteristics, I tend to drive it is Sport mode. I got a little bored with the car so I've recently changed the car: red Scuderia stripes, HRE 19" wheels, SS air-boxes, CF engine louvers, and a CF interior next. The car does not attract as much attention as the TR, which can be good. It's a different, but fun car to drive.

Given a choice, I'd chose the TR first. Then, add the 360 to the stable later. Old 12s rule. You simply have to own a Ferrari 12 cylinder in your lifetime.

Sorry to drone one. Let us know your final decision.
post #15 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Hi Pete, welcome to the forum buddy.
I own a TR and a 360. Short answer, buy both.
I have had the 360 for 20+ years; the 360 for ten+.

They are two great cars, but both very different in many ways, but both are 3-pedal cars.

The TR is a brute, visceral blood thirsty demon. In my mind, it is a classic Italian muscle car and an iconic example of the excessive 80's. The sounds of the flat 12 engine are unlike that of any other car, a cacophony of music relegating the stereo obsolete. Mine has a Tubi with cat deletes and test pipes. At 3,000 rpm it simply roars. No ABS, no power assist steering, no power brakes, excellent road feedback. Pushed to the limit on a sharp curve, the back end will step out and give you a shot of adrenaline. My wife can hear me coming home almost one mile away. It draws more attention than my 360 (thank you Miami Vice). That's not necessarily a good thing. I think that over time, this car will be a classic. The styling of the car is timeless. I've modified mine to bring it into the 21st century with F40 big brakes, HRE 18" wheels, a carbon fiber glass engine cover, K&N filters, carbon fiber heat shield, etc. to improve performance and update the styling. It's not your typical TR with mods.

The 360 on the other hand is, simply put, very refined. With a Tubi, it has a higher engine pitch than the TR and wails at 6,000 rpm while 3,000 rpm provide a very low, but loud grunt. With power steering it's not quite as much fun to "drive" as the TR because it's easy to steer, more precise point and go, and has much less driver feedback than the TR. The throttle response is amazingly quick like a snake bite however. Given the driving characteristics, I tend to drive it is Sport mode. I got a little bored with the car so I've recently changed the car: red Scuderia stripes, HRE 19" wheels, SS air-boxes, CF engine louvers, and a CF interior next. The car does not attract as much attention as the TR, which can be good. It's a different, but fun car to drive.

Given a choice, I'd chose the TR first. Then, add the 360 to the stable later. Old 12s rule. You simply have to own a Ferrari 12 cylinder in your lifetime.

Sorry to drone one. Let us know your final decision.
Brother, now you have me drooling for a TR!

Salve,
Capo

post #16 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
One last thing. In mountain driving, my wife prefers the TR. She said it feels "safer" at speed in the mountains than the 360. It feels heavier, with a perceived lower center of gravity and hugs the road better than the 360. By contrast, my 360 can be "squirrelly," especially when in Sport Mode. The TR is always in "Sport Mode!"

Driving the TR on twisty mountain roads is more challenging than the 360, and it's also more fun. The downside to the TR? No air bags on my 88.5 model.

Last edited by 360 Modena; 12-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:

In that environment I suspect the 360 will be more fun to drive. We generally don't even bother to take the TR out of the garage unless we are going out on the open road somewhere. It is big and it is low so it is not very at home on small surface streets and low speeds.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Machines with happy owners !

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #19 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Hello all and thansk for all great response! especially 360 Modena!

I have now with all knowledge inmind decided to look for a 1984-1986 early Testarossa with monowheels and hopefully monomirror in red with black interior, my mind is made up. i will have Testarossa!!!! Thanks for all great response! =)
post #20 of 41 Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
One last thing. In mountain driving, my wife prefers the TR. She said it feels "safer" at speed in the mountains than the 360. It feels heavier, with a perceived lower center of gravity and hugs the road better than the 360. By contrast, my 360 can be "squirrelly," especially when in Sport Mode. The TR is always in "Sport Mode!"

Driving the TR on twisty mountain roads is more challenging than the 360, and it's also more fun. The downside to the TR? No air bags on my 88.5 model.
Thanks Very much you made my decision !!!!!Testarossa!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode