Imported TR - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Imported TR

I'm considering buying a 1991 TR that was imported into the US in 2002. It has a perfect Autocheck history report and a recent major engine out service but is there anything I should be worried about since it didn't originate in the US?

Thanks, Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I recommend doing research and obtaining the paperwork surrounding the car's import. There aren't many places which can federalize a car to be registered in the US and it's not always done well. Often when cars are imported the record of where the car was and what has been done with it gets lost. This means you're buying a car that is over 20yrs old and only half of it's life is accounted for. This leaves a lot of room for important information about the car to have been lost, never to be seen again.

Additionally, the VIN for the cars are usually modified and a new one is assigned to the car as it enters the US. There should be a tag in the door jamb denoting that the car meets US federal regs and there should be a document with it as well.

If any of this documentation is missing, registering the car can be quite difficult and the process of obtaining a US federal importation documents can be quite difficult.

I strongly advise contacting someone whom understands this situation very well and get their assistance in making sure the car will not be difficult to title and register, and have them look through the car to ascertain that it received an appropriate service for the car's age and mileage as well check the other common areas of concern not associated with a major service.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
You should make sure you get the EPA paperwork that certifies the emissions. I have that for my "Gray" 550. Also, depending on what state you are going to register the car in, you may have to add additional lights and change the tint if is come with any. You should let us know what the mileage is and what state you are importing to. Sometimes the definition of "Major service" can vary, get the receipt and specifics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode