Advice on low mile car - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
FFB

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Advice on low mile car

Looking for any advice on a 2001 360 with 5700 miles. The current second owner bought it in 2002 with 3700 miles. He is selling because he just does not drive the car (basically once every few months). Last service with belt change was in 2009.

I talked to Algar Ferrari about PPI and they said that a standard PPI would be fine - nothing special needs to be checked due to the car not being driven.

Is there anything special to check or any other advice on this low mileage car?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
No.

Change the belts and fluids and enjoy it.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
No.

Change the belts and fluids and enjoy it.
Indeed !

w/ smiles

Jimmy

post #4 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Brian- Tell him about your great running TR with 1000 miles when you bought her. Or not.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I think we just spoke on the phone a bit ago? I echo Brian's advice here too. When changing the coolant I might advise replacing the coolant vapor hoses as well, they tend to fail internally over time. Aside from that drive it and enjoy.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Josh- Is Dave Helms making hoses for the 360 yet?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Josh- Is Dave Helms making hoses for the 360 yet?

He makes the correct hose for that application but in general does not sell his hoses al la carte.

A call to Ricambi would be a good idea.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brian- Tell him about your great running TR with 1000 miles when you bought her. Or not.

Well the short version is I think problems with low mile cars is blown way out of proportion.

If it sits 20 years and is never run, that is a problem. If it gets infrequently used for a few years I don't see that as much of a problem.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
FFB

Thank you

Thanks and thanks to Josh for speaking with me as well. Now hopefully I can get the deal done!
post #10 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Well the short version is I think problems with low mile cars is blown way out of proportion.

If it sits 20 years and is never run, that is a problem. If it gets infrequently used for a few years I don't see that as much of a problem.
Agreed. With that said, arguably it matters what the climate is where it "sits". A buyer shelling out a premium for a low mileage example might be unpleasantly surprised to find many of the all too common "features"; shrinking dash leather, sticky parts, end cap/cam seal weeping, headlight haze, cats & dogs living together...

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #11 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Agreed. With that said, arguably it matters what the climate is where it "sits". A buyer shelling out a premium for a low mileage example might be unpleasantly surprised to find many of the all too common "features"; shrinking dash leather, sticky parts, end cap/cam seal weeping, headlight haze, cats & dogs living together...

The leather in our TR is in perfect condition. It never gets parked outside without a sunshade in the windshield and unless raining, a window slightly open for cooling ventilation. I tell new owners that and a large number of them say they would never do that because the sun shade detracts from the look of the car?

Some people just have strange priorities.

Otherwise everything on your list is true. Parking a car does not stop time. With the exception of actual "Wear" the car ages, driven or not.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
It never gets parked outside without a sunshade in the windshield and unless raining, a window slightly open for cooling ventilation. I tell new owners that and a large number of them say they would never do that because the sun shade detracts from the look of the car?

Some people just have strange priorities.
I do this same thing if I'm parking the car outside for anything more than a few minutes (like if I'm driving it to the office). I don't care how it looks to other people. It's my interior I'm trying to take care of!

Edit: To the OP: Depending on the age, a new set of tires might be a good call. Also, I don't know if it's a coupe or a spider. If a spider, have some carefully observe full open/close cycles of the top several times to be sure it appears to work OK. With the mileage on the car, you might not have to worry about the precats or headers - that's probably a good thing. Other things that happen with time: seals on the ECU's go bad, and can get water intrusion, which will cause an error displayed in the instrument cluster, maybe the O2 sensors also....

I personally think that time is a greater enemy to our cars than mileage (well cared for mileage, at least).

GOOD LUCK!!!
post #13 of 15 Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
FFB

More information

Got more information.

Last and only belts and fluids were done in 2009 with 5300 miles. Pulleys and tensions not replaced. Spoke with Ferrari of Washington who confirmed that only 2 campaigns on this car (accessory and OBD II) were completed. Apparently there are no other campaigns, i.e., variators or F1 EUS.

He expressed concern about the throw out bearing being damaged from fluid leak, but otherwise recommended fluids and belts which I am planning to do.

Any thought on the throw out bearing? Is this a common problem? Is there an easy way to tell?

Here is a link to the car

Ferrari 360 F1 Transmission | eBay
post #14 of 15 Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Sounds about right for a car that just sat. The integrity of the release bearing can be reasonably checked visually and with a computer. Monitoring of certain data points while making shifts can help determine if the release bearing is responding properly, smoothly and completely to hydraulic pressure.

As I mentioned on the phone, you could spend an eternity trying to anticipate problems and throwing money at them. It's best to give the car a basic service and drive it. Address things as they shake loose, if they do at all.

post #15 of 15 Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
FFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Sounds about right for a car that just sat. The integrity of the release bearing can be reasonably checked visually and with a computer. Monitoring of certain data points while making shifts can help determine if the release bearing is responding properly, smoothly and completely to hydraulic pressure.

As I mentioned on the phone, you could spend an eternity trying to anticipate problems and throwing money at them. It's best to give the car a basic service and drive it. Address things as they shake loose, if they do at all.
Excellent advice!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode