Here is how not to do it - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Here is how not to do it

I have a car here right now, a 575. The recent buyer looked high and low for a 575 manual trans car in the color combo he wanted. He found one 3000 miles from home. It was checked out locally, found to be in need of a major service and a few minor items. he had them do all the work.

Long story short, the car made a visit to another home on it's way here so it has been a couple of months but just a couple of hundred miles between its purchase and me. The alternator belt squeals, it doesn't run very well, a check engine light is on, the left cat is over heating and done a little damage (hopefully the cat isn't destroyed), it leaks oil from the valve covers and cam seals profusely, and I suspect the cat and running issue are from badly timed cams. The parking brake is so far out of adjustment it almost doesn't work and has a few electrical issues, the steering hoses to the cooler leak and the exhaust manifolds are loose and leaking.

He paid more than I charge for a service and for the most part I am going to do it over and then some. He didn't know me when he bought the car so I forgive him for that but it still raises the question....why do it that way?

It seems the more I tell people to send their own mechanic to check out a car and have him do what it needs, the less likely it is someone will do it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Shudders to hear such horror stories and utter frustrations to all, except seller.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Sounds like a technician found an opportunity to get faster and sloppier than normal, without fear of the job coming back. An absolute shame.

post #4 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Sounds like a technician found an opportunity to get faster and sloppier than normal, without fear of the job coming back. An absolute shame.

Exactly. It happens that way everyday and yet everyone seems surprised.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Master Mechanic

The surprising part is that it's often difficult to sell a proper job, because "it's too much money". Yet people are very willing to overpay for sloppy garbage work all the time. I don't get it?

post #6 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
The surprising part is that it's often difficult to sell a proper job, because "it's too much money". Yet people are very willing to overpay for sloppy garbage work all the time. I don't get it?
Amen Josh

You are preaching to the choir
post #7 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Brian- Sometimes happens when you are picky about all the wrong things. Buy in haste and repent at leisure, or something like that.

Could have happened to me five years ago. Bought without a PPI and shipped directly to me from Boardwalk. Luckily, I got a good one through no fault of my own.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brian- Sometimes happens when you are picky about all the wrong things. Buy in haste and repent at leisure, or something like that.

Could have happened to me five years ago. Bought without a PPI and shipped directly to me from Boardwalk. Luckily, I got a good one through no fault of my own.

Buying without PPI is done all the time and no big deal to me one way or the other but to spend a sizeable amount on the other side of the country with a shop you have no history or relationship with is not a good idea. I see that turn into a train wreck on a regular basis.

Half or more of the Ferrari shops in the country are very slow or taking in anything on wheels to stay in business and the rest of us are totally overwhelmed with our work load. It isn't hard to figure out who is keeping their customers happy.

Someone who drops everything to do a PPI then has time to do a major service is enough information for me.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Master Mechanic

It doesn't get more plain and simple than that.

post #10 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have a car here right now, a 575. The recent buyer looked high and low for a 575 manual trans car in the color combo he wanted. He found one 3000 miles from home. It was checked out locally, found to be in need of a major service and a few minor items. he had them do all the work.

Long story short, the car made a visit to another home on it's way here so it has been a couple of months but just a couple of hundred miles between its purchase and me. The alternator belt squeals, it doesn't run very well, a check engine light is on, the left cat is over heating and done a little damage (hopefully the cat isn't destroyed), it leaks oil from the valve covers and cam seals profusely, and I suspect the cat and running issue are from badly timed cams. The parking brake is so far out of adjustment it almost doesn't work and has a few electrical issues, the steering hoses to the cooler leak and the exhaust manifolds are loose and leaking.

He paid more than I charge for a service and for the most part I am going to do it over and then some. He didn't know me when he bought the car so I forgive him for that but it still raises the question....why do it that way?

It seems the more I tell people to send their own mechanic to check out a car and have him do what it needs, the less likely it is someone will do it that way.

Exactly!!!

which is why I was very glad to have you service my cars.

now ask me why I didn't discard my STUPID sign a couple years ago ... LOL

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post

The sting of poor quality long outlasts the thrill of a good price.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Exactly!!!

which is why I was very glad to have you service my cars.

now ask me why I didn't discard my STUPID sign a couple years ago ... LOL

The STUPID sign club is not very exclusive.

We all become members at one point or other.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Quote:
The STUPID sign club is not very exclusive.

We all become members at one point or other.
AMEN to that!!!!
Fool me once shame on you... fool me twice shame on me.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #14 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcheta View Post
AMEN to that!!!!
Fool me once shame on you... fool me twice shame on me.
Which is why I trust and respect our sponsor, Competitizione, who has serviced my cars for over 20 years (going back to the good old days of FoW).

I've never had a bad experience. They are professional, experienced, detail oriented and perfectionists. They do a very thorough test drive after service and have excellent followup to ensure the customer is delighted with the work.

I can't even begin imagine what it's like to pay for a service twice if the first shop does an inferior job and doesn't get it right.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
I have bough three Ferrari's sight unseen - some issues but it wouldn't have stopped the purchase but I won't do it again.

The last one a Challenge car a few months ago - dragged it to New Orleans to race sounded good looked good rev's perfect etc.

Besides pulling it in and out of the driveway never drove it more than 300 feet.

Get on the track with a paid instructor beside me - teaching me the lines and acceleration and it won't go over 4k rpm's in gear. Keep in mind others were tracking for pole position so the track was hot.

3 laps and retire - I became that guy track instructor isn't happy for three days my mechanic can't get the car to run more than 3 good laps and right back into limp mode.

Any suggestions? The car sat for a long time during restoration. Switched out connectors but my guess is it's in the harness something stupid or the gas pedal.

Each time it went into limp mode when it was fully floored in gear. The engine and the transmission aren't on the same page.

The right ECU isn't communicating and we switched it out but that didn't make a difference.
post #16 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Which is why I trust and respect our sponsor, Competitizione, who has serviced my cars for over 20 years (going back to the good old days of FoW).

I've never had a bad experience. They are professional, experienced, detail oriented and perfectionists. They do a very thorough test drive after service and have excellent followup to ensure the customer is delighted with the work.

I can't even begin imagine what it's like to pay for a service twice if the first shop does an inferior job and doesn't get it right.
I think the thing is the let down in trust you put in someone to do the job right. The attention to detail or lack of it and then the audacity to act like you aren't capable or knowledgeable enough to know that the work they've provided is subpar.... or will go unnoticed.... hell in some cases life threatening.... as you like to say, I am in violent agreement with you about Richard and Fernando. Lessons we learn... some the hard way.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #17 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I have bough three Ferrari's sight unseen - some issues but it wouldn't have stopped the purchase but I won't do it again.

The last one a Challenge car a few months ago - dragged it to New Orleans to race sounded good looked good rev's perfect etc.

Besides pulling it in and out of the driveway never drove it more than 300 feet.

Get on the track with a paid instructor beside me - teaching me the lines and acceleration and it won't go over 4k rpm's in gear. Keep in mind others were tracking for pole position so the track was hot.

3 laps and retire - I became that guy track instructor isn't happy for three days my mechanic can't get the car to run more than 3 good laps and right back into limp mode.

Any suggestions? The car sat for a long time during restoration. Switched out connectors but my guess is it's in the harness something stupid or the gas pedal.

Each time it went into limp mode when it was fully floored in gear. The engine and the transmission aren't on the same page.

The right ECU isn't communicating and we switched it out but that didn't make a difference.

Have to have it hooked up to the computer to even offer a guess. I have had a number of cars do that. Depending on errors shown locating the problem shouldn't be that hard.

Who is working on it for you? What is their experience?
post #18 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Owner

Quote:
Have to have it hooked up to the computer to even offer a guess. I have had a number of cars do that. Depending on errors shown locating the problem shouldn't be that hard.

Who is working on it for you? What is their experience?
Pocono Sports and Speedwerks had the Ferrari computer but it was all at a CCR race weekend so the tools for those guys were limited vs some guys like Universal and others that had everything under the sun.

They could not get any reading from one of the ECU's lots of codes cleared but that was about it.

Basically cleaned and reconnected everything but for the wires behind the dash which Is why I thought temp sensor or accelerator.

A local guy has the Delonardo or however it's spelled diagnostics so perhaps I could take it there, Surprisingly some common upgrades to the 2001 were not done that many 2003 360's have.

Thank You for any help!

Brian would love to ship it out to you if you were closer.
post #19 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Pocono Sports and Speedwerks had the Ferrari computer but it was all at a CCR race weekend so the tools for those guys were limited vs some guys like Universal and others that had everything under the sun.

They could not get any reading from one of the ECU's lots of codes cleared but that was about it.

Basically cleaned and reconnected everything but for the wires behind the dash which Is why I thought temp sensor or accelerator.

A local guy has the Delonardo or however it's spelled diagnostics so perhaps I could take it there, Surprisingly some common upgrades to the 2001 were not done that many 2003 360's have.

Thank You for any help!

Brian would love to ship it out to you if you were closer.
Those codes were his clues.

If you want it fixed forget about Leonardo. Get it to someone with and SD2 who fixes 360 day in and day out. Forget the weekend race mechanics.

The closest guys to you that have a clue are Dave at Scuderia Rampante or Tom at Ferrari Atlanta. It is about a grand for a truck ride. How much did that wasted weekend cost? How many hours of fooling around by the wrong guy does that equal?

There is a reason Dave and I get cars shipped to us from Canada to Mexico and in my case Virginia. A truck ride costs a lot less than two days of a mechanics time.
post #20 of 31 Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Those codes were his clues.

If you want it fixed forget about Leonardo. Get it to someone with and SD2 who fixes 360 day in and day out. Forget the weekend race mechanics.

The closest guys to you that have a clue are Dave at Scuderia Rampante or Tom at Ferrari Atlanta. It is about a grand for a truck ride. How much did that wasted weekend cost? How many hours of fooling around by the wrong guy does that equal?

There is a reason Dave and I get cars shipped to us from Canada to Mexico and in my case Virginia. A truck ride costs a lot less than two days of a mechanics time.
I agree 100% - they are shops that service the CCR racers but it was my fault to not have it fully checked prior. I actually got a good taste but it's time to get serious.

I wish you or one of those you mentioned also offered race support located closer etc.

Some guys are charging 6k a weekend or more which includes trailering. My guy was dare I say a lot less but being a last minute add on - so it wasn't that bad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode