A young member in need of advice for buying his first Ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-04-2013, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
A young member in need of advice for buying his first Ferrari

Hello guys,

I have just registered here. My name is Tsvetan. I'm 22 years old and I live in Bulgaria. I've started loving "old school" cars several years ago. The main reason is that they deliver a much purer experience and have a spirit of their own. Even two cars of the same class and era can deliver joy in a completely different way. Almost impossible with new cars. Most of them, from what I've seen, are more reliable than the new cars and easier to maintain in your own adequately-equipped garage. With all the gadgets in the latest cars, you need to head to the dealer for everything...and different modules break all the time. I have a 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 and a 1989 BMW E34 both in perfect condition.

I've always wanted a real sports car with a large high-revving engine in the back. Quite recently I found out that the older Ferraris, which are the ones I like most, are quite affordable and I've decided to buy one.

My budget is around 40k euro. The models that I really like are 348 targa, Mondial Convertible and the Testarossa. The first car that I stopped on was the Testarossa. I absolutely love the design and everything, it's a top-of-the-line car and is very fast. I fell in love with it. But I found out that a good car will be really hard to find for 40k and I may have to exceed my budget and be left with no money for maintainance. I still have a 2009 BMW that I can sell but I wouldn't want that as it's my everyday car. So I looked at the other models. I can say that I'm addicted to convertibles. And a Ferrari convertible may be the ultimate car for me...I don't know. The 348 targa is a quite fast car as well, but I don't know anything about it in terms of reliability and defects. The Mondial convertible is an option too, but is not as fast.

So, I obviously need some advice and think this is the best place to get it. I don't know anyone that owns a Ferrari and have never driven one, so I probably have to try several models first...but finding a showroom with oldschool ferraris or somebody with a private collection willing to help me out looks like a tough job....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Welcome to FL and congratulations on chasing your dream!

The TR is not an entry model and therefore, is not suggested given your budget at this time.

If it were me, I'd focus on a 308 for now and set a goal of eventually owning a TR (something I did myself).

Good-luck on your search and experience.

Please keep us posted.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Tsvetan, I'm like you in that I LOVE convertible. I too am shopping for my first F-car, so thought I would share what I have found out while shopping. I am mechanically inclined so I am looking for an older car that I can do the work on myself. Here are some quick notes:

348's require you to take the engine out for a belt service. There is a good series of video's on YouTube of an owner doing the service himself, but it is fairly intensive.

348's had a lot of "ticks" in the early models. But from what I was told a 94-95 model (end of the 348's) is the "best of a troubled line".

328's do not require you to remove the engine to do a belt service. They are considered to be the last "easy" Ferrari for the owner to work on him/her-self.

328's are just an upgraded version of the 308's and generally considered to be a good car.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Welcome. You can go to ferraridatabase.com and download owners manuals and workshop manuals for the 348 and TR to give yourself some idea of what is involved in maintaining one of them. As mentioned, the 328 is much easier to maintain and makes a great starter Ferrari, but if your heart is set on a pair of cheese grate, side intakes.....

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. I've looked at both the 308 and 328 and I like them a lot...the Mondial and the 348 as well...TR is almost "out of the game" due to its price. Now I have to find examples of all the models and get in to see which one I like most...which will not be easy...I don't know anyone in Bulgaria with an old Ferrari....I've just seen Californias, 612s, f12, 458s, 430s and 360s.. So maybe I'll have to make a longer trip west for this and hopefully come back with a nice one. Also, having the engine out once in 3 years doesn't sound like something so horrible. I've got a big garage for all my cars which I'm equipping at the moment and it won't be a problem. I found the "major service kit" for the TR in Ebay for around 1300$ which seems okay. I suppose the one for the 348 will be cheaper. Thanks for the link, I'll print and read those.

Edit: Anyone from Italy or Germany willing to meet up there and help me a bit? I would be grateful for some tips like where to take the car for inspection before buying. Thanks.
Edit2: Can someone post average prices for normal wearing parts for some of the models? Discs, pads, clutch, pumps, etc?

And yet another edit: Which of these models would be more reliable? I know that it varies on the way the particular car has been maintained and driven all these years, but which is most reliable as a model? I have always searched for well cared for cars, a little bit more expensive but in very good condition. And have driven them quite hard for a long time just doing the regular maintainance and never had any major problems (just some faults from worn-out plastic/rubber like hoses, gaskets, pumps now and then but that's normal for a 30-year-old car) . But then again, I've always had German cars...so what is the case here?

Last edited by Tsvetan; 10-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #7 of 20 Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Any advice?
post #8 of 20 Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
328 prices

I looked at a few 328 ads lately and the ones i'd consider are between 50K to 70K USD. My thought is to buy the best example so as to avoid headaches of repairs early on in the ownership experience. Good luck and welcome aboard!

BTW, i sat in an '87 328 at a local dealership and found that i was too vertically challenged to drive it. i'm thinking 5'8" a minimum to be comfy.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
BTW, i sat in an '87 328 at a local dealership and found that i was too vertically challenged to drive it. i'm thinking 5'8" a minimum to be comfy.
I agree. I recently sat in an 89 328 GTS, and would have to drive it with the top off. I'm 6'1.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess I'm the perfect size then - 180cm ( 5' 11" ) 65kg
post #11 of 20 Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally I found a great looking 328GTS that fits my budget with enough money left for maintenance and future repairs. I'm flying to Germany in a few days to see it and if all is good, buy it. Could you give me any advice what to look for when buying? Like typical weak spots and failures if any. The car is in Munich, so if anyone lives in that area and knows a reliable spot where I can take the car for detailed inspection before buying, would be great. Or it would be best to just take it to the local Ferrari dealer?
post #12 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Does every Ferrari from this era have this weird driving position with the pedals so far to the right? I found it quite unconfortable when I sat in the 328...
post #13 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Affirmative, all the early mid-engine cars like the Dino, 308/328, and Boxer have that driving position. Comes from your legs competing with the front wheel wells for space. You will soon get used to it and it will not bother you at all after the first few times driving her.

Congratulations on your 328. Would love to see some photos and perhaps the serial number for our number collectors.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Tsvetan, as Terry says, that is the way. What you need to do is to have an open mind. Congrats on your acquisition.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #15 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

i don't think so. Chances are you will drive it mostly with the top off anyway, but i am 6'1" 225 and i have driven the crap out of mine for 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead329 View Post
I agree. I recently sat in an 89 328 GTS, and would have to drive it with the top off. I'm 6'1.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #16 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

any reputable mechanic that is not associated with the seller should do. consider leak down and compression tests as part of the check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsvetan View Post
Finally I found a great looking 328GTS that fits my budget with enough money left for maintenance and future repairs. I'm flying to Germany in a few days to see it and if all is good, buy it. Could you give me any advice what to look for when buying? Like typical weak spots and failures if any. The car is in Munich, so if anyone lives in that area and knows a reliable spot where I can take the car for detailed inspection before buying, would be great. Or it would be best to just take it to the local Ferrari dealer?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #17 of 20 Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't buy it. The condition of the interior was worse than I expected. I fell in love with a completely restored '74 911 Targa, but then changed my mind and decided not to buy anything. All this money has been given to me by my father. I decided not to spend them on a car and start some sort of business on my own and start making more money and then buy an exotic.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Great idea. I am surprised by your self control at that age. good luck.

post #19 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey, guys!
What do you think about this Mondial convertible?
http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.as...000000&asrc=st
I saw this ad a couple of days ago and I think that maybe I should sell my W123 and E34 and get it...and just have my BMW F30 320dA Saloon for a daily driver and this. I absolutely love it (on the pictures) ! I'll be grateful for any tips on buying.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Stick to you last idea. Start a business, make it succesful and then the world is your oyster. Good Luck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode