2008 F430 Scuderia Opportunity - Help! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
2008 F430 Scuderia Opportunity - Help!

Until yesterday, I was not looking to buy a Ferrari, although like most men I guess, my heart always skips a beat when I see one. I am a car enthusiast and have owned several special and very fast cars (BMWs, Mercedes, Corvette, Roush Mustang, etc.).

I couldn't even sleep last night because of the following...

Yesterday I was discussing the purchase of a Fiat 500 (for my daughter) with a person who had an ad up on Craigslist. After a very pleasant discussion with the seller, I ended up deciding not to buy that car. Near the end of the discussion he asked, "Hey you wouldn't be interested in a Ferrari F430 would you?" I said "heck yes I'd be interested, whatcha got?"

He has owned the car since summer 2011 and is ready for a new one - he is interested in the 458 Italia. I ran the carfax and it shows three owners and is consistent with his statement that the last owner (him) has had it for over 2 years. No accidents on the carfax. Shows fairly regular servicing entries at dealerships. Oddly there is a carfax entry that new tires were put on it at 3,000 miles. It has 8,600 miles. Oh and he tells me at the end of the conversation that it is a Scuderia! Red exterior, black wheels.

Says he will take $135K. It isn't advertised yet as they just decided to sell it. He said it will sell fast at that price once he gets an ad up.

I am going to see it at lunch today.

I spent hours last night researching on line trying to get comfortable that what I initially thought, and that is - this is a really really good price and should be closer to $150K or more. But what people ask isn't the same as what people get, so I still don't know for sure.

I would certainly get a PPI done if I were to move on it. There is a very good local dealership here (Atlanta).

So please tell me, is this too good to be true? Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Wynnron, welcome to FL and a nice anxiety to have ?

Probably you need others to give you that extra umphhh (push) to take the dive.

Since you are well versed in other marks, you already have the basics. Look at the car, check things out and the routine homework's and then you can make your mind up.

I have no doubt that you would be happy with a Scud, if things check out and the price is right. Just one thing, think it over if a Scud is what you want, in terms of needs and purposes, that is. Others here would no doubt tell you it is so much more than the average ones. However, no one car is for everyone.

Good luck.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Hi Wynnron,

I have a 16M scud and I love it. If I could also buy a coupe for $135K I would jump all over it! One is advertised here in Australia for $350K plus another $20K on road charges. Seeing that our dollar's are nearly parity, I see your car being a great deal, as long as it is the right car for you. I love the stripped down aggressive sporty look and there are so many mods that you can do to them. I regard the scuds as keepers and so I won't change mine. They are responsive, fun to drive and unless you have the capabilities of Fernando Alonso and co, their scary power is more than sufficient. As Jimmy said, no car is for everyone but after having scores of leather seated cars, I still can't stop looking at the scud's carbon fibre ones - just love it. For a modern sports ferrari I think it ticks all the boxes. If you read through this forum you will realise that the scud is a respected car.

As I am 53yo I would just love to have a rare and classic model like Jimmy's GTO, or even an earlier model but you are starting to add a zero onto your $135000.

Of course do all the checks and see if it fits you. If it does - congratulations - its a great car.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali

post #4 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Sounds too good to be true!

Wholesale is 165k+

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for the welcome! I am blown away to hear from Japan, Australia and the States all within a couple of hours. Thank you so much for the wise words (of encouragement and caution). I am not getting my hopes up too much because it does sound a bit too good to be true. I will know more in about 2 or 3 hours, after I have met the owner and the car.

Very very grateful guys. Thanks. I hope to be joining your ranks soon.

Ron
post #6 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Do you all think that the new tires at 3,000 miles is unusual? I surmise this means it was tracked early on. Who could blame them? but is that a negative?

This car was built to be raced so this is kind of a paradox. I guess it just needs a thorough inspection to make sure it wasn't treated poorly.

R
post #7 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
If the price is too good there is an issue typically, honestly he could get quite a bit more trading the vehicle in if the year and mileage is correct which raises concerns.

The tires are not an issue at all. I had a base 430 (non scud) and I went through a set of tires in 4K miles once. And I mean all the way through them to the bars essentially. Just depends on how your driving for that segment of time.

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,
post #8 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnron View Post
Do you all think that the new tires at 3,000 miles is unusual? I surmise this means it was tracked early on. Who could blame them? but is that a negative?

This car was built to be raced so this is kind of a paradox. I guess it just needs a thorough inspection to make sure it wasn't treated poorly.

R
Regarding the tires, there was a recall on many of the Pirelli PZero tires, so this might have occurred.

I agree with Doug, but I don't have enough information.

What options does the car have? U.S. Carbon Package? What kind of interior fabric?

2008 Pricing Model: 199k with U.S. carbon package, 189k without.
Subtract $2.00 / mile up to 10,000 miles, after that, add an additional $1.00 mile.

So the car you are describing would sell for 189k guessing this car does not have U.S. carbon package, minus 16-17k in mileage deductions, so close to 170k. Wholesale would be around $20 - 25k less than that, so lowest conceivable price 145-150.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #9 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
After the PPI you know everything you want to know... Go for it! If it is to good to Be true you know that quick enough:-)
post #10 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Once again I cannot thank everyone enough for the feedback and I have an update for you!

I just looked at the car and met the owner. IT IS NOT A SCUDERIA ! I apologize for the mis-information and I do not blame the seller. There is a minor language barrier when talking on the phone and he was trying to tell me it had Scuderia wheels (all black - the deal also includes the original wheels) and some other Scuderia carbon fiber features, like mirrors, etc., however it is not the actual Scuderia version.

That aside, what a gorgeous car! It is kind of hard to keep your cool.

I've only had a few hours to learn about these cars. I'll do my best to describe this car.

2008 F430 Coupe
8,600 miles
Gorgeous and perfect Red exterior
Very nice tan super soft leather interior with red stitching
Maintenance receipts dating back to 2011
Automatic with paddle shifters
Power seats
Seemed to have tons of manuals kept in a smallish Ferrari zippered bag, including a buckskin leather owners manual portfolio.
Two other small Ferrari cases secured in the trunk area
It had the dial on the steering wheel to select the driving mode.
The leather on the dash was also a super nice graphite color with red stitching.
They had added a Hamaan(?) body kit the protect the original body work. It was quite tasteful.

The car looked to be in nearly new condition. He is ok with a ppi and said he would address any issues at the $135K price agreement.

What do you think?
post #11 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

One more update...

Stand by. I just called the local dealership and they are printing up an options list for this car for me. Stand by and I will share (about half hour).
post #12 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Did you make some pictures? Hamann bodykit, Scuderia Wheels, Scuderia CF..... Sounds a bit Frankenstein, so i think posting some pics is not a bad idea if you want people to help you out :=)

Nick

Last edited by NickBongio; 08-15-2013 at 01:55 PM.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

The car has what seems like a very nice set of options.

Red brake calipers
Ceramic brake system
6 CD changer
Daytona Seats
Power seats
Yellow instrument face dial
Scuderia Ferrari shields
Front and rear parking sensors
Leather headliner
High power stereo with subwoofer
Red stitching
Carbon fiber dash inserts

I've been in this dream world for about 24 hours now and I am thinking that I am going to buy this amazing car pending a clean PPI.

Thanks again for your valuable help and comments. Again I hope to be joining you here very soon. Any other thoughts or comments would be more than welcomed.

Ron
post #14 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Best of luck!
post #15 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBongio View Post
Best of luck!
+1.

A small advice. Think over once again, how you intend to use the car and how long you wish to keep. I know, usually owners tell themselves " it is a keeper and I am not selling". But, ... so, give that a thought too. At least this may balance out a bit your overly stimulated sensors !

Good luck.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #16 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Yes I would slow down. You are a car sellers dream. What is your budget for a Ferrari? Have you checked pricing on other 2008's?

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #17 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I know Jimmy and MarkJay are right! I am a car sellers dream. I just can't help it! I'm afraid the deal is going to go to someone else. I should know better. I am a 53 year old General Contractor and my mind operates like I have no life lessons at all when it comes to cars. I will TRY to keep a cool head about me. Thank you.

In the meantime, here are the pics I took today...
Attached Images

post #18 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Owner

She does look splendid. Sounds like the deal is sealed ?

Just make sure you pour over the history, service records and reasons behind the mods.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #19 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Ron, all ( or nearly all) ferraris are nice! I would take Mark's great advice and slow down. If you want a car that you want to hang onto for a long time please have a look at the scuds. ( Yes I am biased). I liked my old F430 coupe but I love my scud! IMO if you are looking at a mid engined V8 howler, go all the way.There are also other luxury front engined ferrari models, including 2 + 2 variants that may suit your needs more.

Good luck,

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #20 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Owner

David has a great point there. Do your homework first. There is no need to jump right in. Ample supply of models for sale.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode