PPI needed for car for sale at authorized Ferrari dealership? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
PPI needed for car for sale at authorized Ferrari dealership?

Makes sense to get a PPI when looking at a car offered through an independent/used/exotic dealership other than from an authorized Ferrari location. I assume you would go to somebody you personally know and trust to handle the inspection or take it to an actual Ferrari dealership that would be able to catch all the little details as they are the experts. So, if you are looking at a car offered at a Ferrari dealership, is itt good enough if they say the car is clean, or should you do a specific PPI for the car with them, to get an actual report on all concerns if no report already exists?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I have been in the Ferrari business for over 35 years, inside and outside of Ferrari dealers and I can tell you from first hand experience that there is absolutely zero reason to place any more faith in a car sales business if it is an authorized Ferrari dealer than not.

Crooks are crooks no matter the flag they serve.

As far as being "the" experts......same answer.

I know of authorized dealers staffed by stumble bumbs and dealers with good quality people. The sign on the wall has no relationship of any kind with the quality of the people.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Yikes, that's sort of disheartening! So, I'm in the Ferrari dealership, and I say I'd like an independent PPI for one of their cars.... Will they turn their back to me or tell me to take a hike? And if allowed, who could I take it to that would know as much as supposedly they would? Bit of a dilema for sure!

Last edited by cdem72; 06-24-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
I subscribe to the term Caveat Emptor and had an independent PPI done when I purchased my 360 from a dealer.

It was a nominal price to pay for peace of mind.

A great PPI source in the Mid-Atlantic region is FL sponsor, Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdem72 View Post
Yikes, that's sort of disheartening! So, I'm in the Ferrari dealership, and I say I'd like an independent PPI for one of their cars.... Will they turn their back to me or tell me to take a hike? And if allowed, who could I take it to that would know as much as supposedly they would? Bit of a dilema for sure!

Fill out your profile and maybe you can be advised in that matter.

Why is it disheartening? Does owning a Ferrari franchise in some way convey sainthood? It's a business like any other. Some plumbers are good guys and some are not. That simple.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,187
Cdem, I was also interested in a 550 at a Ferrari dealership. Price was too high for the market, and as soon as I brought up the subject of a PPI, the salesman dropped me like a hot rock. Guess he felt people should take him at his word, "just because he worked for Ferrari". He was also rude enough to mention that he really didn't have time for me and my used 550 deal, as he was currently working several "big" 599 and 458 deals.

So, I bumped things up to the general manager of the dealership and explained the difficulty I was having buying one of his cars, and he was fine with me running the PPI and it found some expensive things that needed sorting that the hotshot salesman had "missed". The GM & I then made a deal that we were both happy with and I bought a car without any surprises.

Definitely recommend you get the PPI no matter who is selling the car or who has "certified" it.

As Brian said, fill out more of your profile and we can advise you who's in your area who can do PPI's.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
A great PPI source in the Mid-Atlantic region is FL sponsor, Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD.
I heard that Josh at ECS does a pretty outstanding job, as well...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
F dealer

Having recently bought an F car and utilized much of the advice found here, i can tell the OP that a good salesteam will not balk at the mention of a PPI. I boght mine from an authorized dealer and i had to fly 2000 miles to view the car. Prior to going out, i already negotiated price that was contingent upon clean PPI. I did not tell them who i wanted the PPI done by until after i previewed the car. After i was satisfied with the preview and test drive, i asked the salesman to work with the PPI site and arrange all transportation which i picked up the tab on. BTW i spent about 45 minutes looking the car over and another 30 minutes driving the car. My salesperson never rushed me nor did he ever make me feel like my prospectve sale was worth any less than the guy who just bought a 400K 458 spyder parked next to my used F430 (seriously, i found this out from my wife a few hours later....as they conversed while i was out on my test drive...) So to the OP, get the PPI done by whomever you wish. Many of the contributors on here are very helpful so fear not.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I guess it just makes it a bit more complicated for me being in a location far from any dealership. I'd be flying in to look at a vehicle and not knowing the area would probably have a more difficult time connecting for an independent PPI. Maybe just have to be more dilligent on doing homework to nail down all these loose ends before venturing out? LOL!
post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Not necessarily Collin

Collin,

ask the good people here for help RE the PPI. It just depends where your car of interest is. Lots of capable people out there than can do the PPI's for you. All you have to do is figure out the car you want and where. then ask for help. i'm assuming you're looking in the US. otherwise, can;t help you much elsewhere.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Chenglo: I wouldn't hesitate to search a car out in the US, however, I would need to determine what any import duties would be on top of paying shipping and provincial tax on the cost of the car. The only other sticky issue would be the installation of DRL for use in Canada.

So, for any owners who have brought a car from the US into Canada, I ask: What would be the import duty on an Italian-manufactured vehicle brought in from the US, a percentage of value is adequate? Thank you.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdem72 View Post
Chenglo: I wouldn't hesitate to search a car out in the US, however, I would need to determine what any import duties would be on top of paying shipping and provincial tax on the cost of the car. The only other sticky issue would be the installation of DRL for use in Canada.

So, for any owners who have brought a car from the US into Canada, I ask: What would be the import duty on an Italian-manufactured vehicle brought in from the US, a percentage of value is adequate? Thank you.
Duty is 6.1% and DRL is easy, at least for the F430. Importing is a bit more expensive at the moment though since our dollar is (somewhat) in the dumper once again.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
I heard that Josh at ECS does a pretty outstanding job, as well...
I hear that guy is a hack...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode