Carfax Conflict - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Carfax Conflict

Hello F-lifers:

As has been said many times before here I'm currently in search of a 360 and have looked at several. The one I decided to move forward on has a Carfax conflict, meaning a Carfax report from 3 years ago after the current owner purchased the car has a clean report. A report I pulled yesterday has a "Branded Title: Not Actual Mileage" entry/record from 5 years ago on it now which wasn't there before.

How is that possible? I'm a bit concerned now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
run, don't walk away from this deal
post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
run, don't walk away from this deal
What he said...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

post #4 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Carfax isn't a perfect tool, about everyone knows this. See if AutoCheck can corroborate the Carfax. If it matches and its bad, walk away.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Sometimes there is a data entry error, someone along the way screwed up and entered the mileage incorrectly, then the next person enters it correct, BAM...Not Actual Mileage. This is hard as hell to remedy, in some situations.

You would probably need to contact the DMV and trace paperwork through them as well as service history documentation, if you wanted to confirm whether or not it's a clerical error or something more concerning.

Either way, clearing it up may be extremely difficult and could make your life complicated when the time comes to pass it off to the next owner.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I was thinking I should do that, I'll run an Autocheck as well.

A couple pieces of info I forgot to mention:
1. The mileage didn't roll back it was actually in line with the mileage before the title was branded: "not actual mileage". The mileage matched the older carfax report too
2. The current owners title is clear

ECS, I actually did call the DMV today and was told to contact the current state with the clear title and to follow up with Carfax to find out what needed to be done to have it cleared from the report. I even thought about tracking down the owner who had the car when it was branded: "not actual mileage" to get the story behind it. But like I said this all happened after he sold the car to the current owner. I'm going to call him tomorrow to see what he has to say about the mark on the Carfax.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
If it's a Carfax error, and you can't clear the error, I'd still walk away from the deal

Service records and state emissions or safety inspection records (if required where the car was registered) should confirm mileage

As to see that documentation as well
post #8 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
WOW someone typed in the wrong mileage at one time and every one is telling you to run ?

If the mileage was scammed like the car had 70,000 miles climbing to 80,000 miles over a few years and all of a sudden had 20,000 I could see running but from your description it sounds like a mistake somewhere in the history and not fraud. If that is the case, the car is fine.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
WOW someone typed in the wrong mileage at one time and every one is telling you to run ?

If the mileage was scammed like the car had 70,000 miles climbing to 80,000 miles over a few years and all of a sudden had 20,000 I could see running but from your description it sounds like a mistake somewhere in the history and not fraud. If that is the case, the car is fine.

I agree.

More and more everyday are coming to the party that Carfax is in reality a pretty unreliable info source.

In fact in my opinion it just plain sucks.

With any luck it will go the way of the dinosaur.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I saw an written-off 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo selling on eBay a few weeks ago with its description stating it had been in an accident, but the accompanying Carfax report right below the general description stated "No Known Accidents"! Now how dependable is that?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

mikeyr, I'm thinking along those lines, I would expect to see a huge rollback not an increase at the next record.

I did run an Autocheck and it showed up there too, still doesn't make sense.

I want to believe everything is alright and even contacted the shop that is doing the PPI (yes I jumped the gun after test driving, seeing the service records and seeing the older clear Carfax) to point it out. They took a look and believe the odometer reading to be correct.

Carfax carries so much weight and as ECS said, it would be difficult to sell it to the next owner. It might be difficult to clear a Carfax, but that could be an option.

I'll await the results of the PPI then go from there.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
What state

In IL any car with a title being transferred with over 99999 miles shows mileage unavailable or not as stated which results on that on the CARFAX. As the man above said CARFAX is very inaccurate. If you have issues have a master mechanic examine it and give it a clean bill of health.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode