Here are some SD/3 results:

B1005 Suspensions failure
B100A check engine failure

P1114 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor (Cylinder Bank 2) min
P2069 Fuel Level Sensor B circuit Intermittent
P1134

P0072 Air Circuit Temperature Sensor: Low
P0464 Fuel Level Sensor (intermittent)

The inspector's opinion is that its a good car overall. The clutch wear on the F1 system is good (80% left)The wear on the carboceramic brakes is minimal. The codes shown are not necessarily problematic, but I'm a little concerned that the car is being offered for sale by Ferrari with this many codes coming up, especially since the engine and suspension faults could mean anything. Possible that the codes are coming up because of something minor like a low or dead battery. My understanding is that the dealership takes care of these kinds of codes before the car is even offered for sale. The other issue that I have concerns about is the variance in compression between cylinder 5 and the rest of the engine. Leakdown percentage numbers look good as they are all 5% or less. Curious about opinions on these results. Are my interpretations correct? Is this a car I should pass on?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
What tipo is it ?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
2006 f430

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
depending

depending on price. i think car looks good on paper. the issues presented look minor. i dont know much about the compression test but elected not to get one done on mine. i had multple sources advise against it. Mostly because the age of the car, an '06 F430. I would have done compression if the service person deemed necessary after preliminary inspection. However, at that point, i would have walked from the deal and searched elsewhere. there's plenty of these cars around that if you don;t feel right about the car in question, walk away.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
N-n-n-0 If that car is to be sold as a Certified car, those items must be addressed before the car is offered. What is the maximum age of a Certified Ferrari? If 5 years, you don't make it.

Unless you are willing to take the risk, say no and walk away politely.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

The car can be sold as certified with Power Normal or Power Train warranty depending on the age. My understanding is that the car would be inspected and certified before being offered for sale, however according to the dealer they only do this inspection/certification if you decide to purchase the warranty.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
depending on what warranty and which dealer i've heard between 5 to 7K for the warranty. buy the right car with good PPI and doubt you'll use that. OR pocket the 5-7K into a repair fund with the right car and you should be good to go. if your car did not need anything in the coming 12 months, you come out ahead! mine will sit in storage for 6 months so i would have been paying 5-7K for 6 months of warranty to cover 1000-1500 miles tops! save your $$$ M3doc.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Whoa there doc! You mean that the buyer has to purchase the warranty and THEN the dealer does the inspection/Certification?

NFW!-- I would like to know the name of the dealer so that I could include him out.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lehrer View Post
Whoa there doc! You mean that the buyer has to purchase the warranty and THEN the dealer does the inspection/Certification?

NFW!-- I would like to know the name of the dealer so that I could include him out.
Actually its the other way around. You have to pay to have an inspection done, and then you can purchase the warranty. The inspection is a Ferrari multipoint inspection and includes changing fluids if needed. You are not able to purchase the warranty until this inspection is done. This seems to be standard practice at most dealerships. The cars advertised as Certified Pre-Owned, are actually just eligible for certification and the advertised price does not include the inspection price or warranty.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
new to the fourm...what does PPI stand for?
post #11 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 961
Pre-purchase Inspection...and welcome aboard.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #12 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
The air temp sensors are easy enough to clean with Mass Airflow Sensor spray. The fuel level fault is most likely the result of insufficient use or perhaps a corroded connection. The suspension failure might be cured by simply cleaning the damper connectors.

The tires are not worn enough to be a good negotiation point unless they're cut or very old. Learn how to read the date stamp. (hint: the last four numbers are the week and year of build).

Negotiate your best price and insist on the dealer replaces the tie rod, and gives you a fluid and filter change, and a fresh cam drive belt change. Be sure you're getting the tool kit, car cover, flat repair kit, etc. Insist on a full detail job too. Don't buy the warranty. Don't pay for more inspections but DO go over the car very carefully on your own, preferably with the help of a motor-head friend, using a detailed check list. Don't pay for any of the missing equipment, any of the required repairs, or the clean-up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode