PPI at Authorized dealer - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
PPI at Authorized dealer

Found a car I'm interested in. Its being sold at an authorized Ferrari dealership, and is "CPO eligible". They will not allow an independent PPI. Is it enough to pay for the vehicle to get CPO'd and call it a day without the PPI?

The CPO process would include compression and leakdown tests and all of the items necessary to make the car Ferrari Power warranty eligible. I don't plan to purchase the warranty but would like the CPO done.

This seems to be essentially the same as a PPI, No?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
IMO, the underlying issue is that the dealership selling the car has already had a thorough look over the car before selling it. They have already determined the condition and risk of the car during a sale.

Unless you trust everything they're saying already, spending the several hundred dollars for them to include a comp/leakage test seems like a waste.

The value of a PPI lies within having it performed by 3rd party.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
M3d
Josh knows of what he speaks. We need more details. Please read the myriad of PPI threads

IMHO Some assessment is needed on your behalf prior to purchase. If you have seen the car and looked at service records and it is one owner service at the dealer with no issues that is one thing. If not, consider your options.

Personally the power warranty may not be a bad option with the cpo. It certainly has market value. That said if I did it on my car, I would have gotten zero benefit from it.

I do not understand the need for compression testing in general in modern and 5-7 year old cars. Josh?

Good luck.
Scotts

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1

post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
The value of a PPI lies within having it performed by 3rd party.
No doubt there...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
M3d

I do not understand the need for compression testing in general in modern and 5-7 year old cars. Josh?

Good luck.
Scotts
It is my opinion that picking and choosing during a PPI creates variables and fundamentally defeats the intention of performing said inspection. For me, the purpose isn't to "nit pick" at little things, as a used Ferrari will always have little things to tend to, the purpose is to CYA and try to control the possibility of a buyer walking into overwhelming repair expenses before it's too late.

With engine overhauling being the single most expensive repair, aside from catastrophic accident damage, I find the value is in peace of mind.

Perhaps some of that is due to my experience with vintage cars and the 355/456/550's, but again, picking and choosing creates variables. I strongly dislike variables. I like data.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Thanks

For the clarification. In your experience how often do you find a problem on those tests( leak down/compression ) with modern cars?

PPI gives some but not all peace of mind or data. That said I'd ask you to do a PPI anytime.

Scotts.

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Master Mechanic

No problem, glad I was able to answer the question. In response to the second question, I've found the 360, 430,575 + engines to not be as problematic. Bad compression and leakdown in these engines has often been accompanied by some other obvious fault, not excessive wear.

I anticipate that will change as they become 10+yrs old, just as the other models have. Header, catalytic converter, cam variator and hyd. lifter issues will contribute to the need to check these things.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode