How Do You Buy an Out-of-State Car? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
How Do You Buy an Out-of-State Car?

Pardon me if this is elementary material, but I bought my previous cars in person.

What is the typical procedure in buying a car from an out-of-state seller?

Does this sound right?

1) Execute a deposit agreement
2) Pay deposit
3) PPI
4) Get copy of title (front and back)
5) Execute a sale agreement
6) Send a bank check or wire funds to the seller
7) Seller signs over title and sends it to buyer
8) Seller holds car until transport company picks it up

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Shouldn't #5 above be the first one instead, execute the sales agreement? I'm assuming you're talking about the sale price and all it's details?

I've bought cars from out of state not much different than in state. One thing is most states make you have car inspected at a police station or DMV before they'll issue you a license plate...

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Negotiate first, inspect then transact. Once a purchase price is agreed upon by all parties, make sure you secure all necessary belongings from your trade in vehicle. Leave behind only the auto manual for the dealer. Take extra time when going over bill of sale and all other paperwork. You will want to make sure you have all title work signed appropriately by all parties. Make sure that the vehicle title is clear of any liens. If there is a lien on the vehicle, secure waiver of lien before closing the transaction. Also make sure you remove your plates from your trade in vehicle assuming you want to transfer those plates to your new vehicle. Please note that most state laws do not allow you to drive the new vehicle with your existing plates until a new title has been issued to you from your host state. Usually the dealership will provide you with a temporary plate that gives you about three to four weeks to secure transfer of title which will allow you to put on your old plates.

Hotels Istrien
Hotels Kroatien

post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
The order can be the same as the one you prefer in person. The differences are the trust you must have in the seller and the obvious difficulties in dealing long distance. It may be worthwhile to fly to the car, do all of the above in person, and then arrange for shipping.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
You do have to be more careful buying a car out of state. I would never buy an expensive car without looking at it myself. Everyone has their own opinion of "perfect" and "normal wear and tear." I live in MO, and found a 308 GTS in NC. Talking to the previous owner on the phone, it was clear that he was not a car expert, but tried to describe it as best as he could. Telling him I was serious, he guaranteed to hold the car for a couple of days so I could go out to look at it. It was actually better than I expected, so I drove it home. Of course, another alternative would be to have it shipped.
The big thing that could have caused problems for me was with the title. The owner had the car for twenty years, and always renewed the tags with the paperwork from the last year. Sometime along the way, a digit got dropped from the VIN on the title, and I knew Missouri wouldn't accept the discrepency. It took me an extra day in NC to get the Highway Patrol to validate the VIN and give me a letter to correct the title.
The final thing about buying a car, there is no replacement to knowing how YOU feel about the car in person. That can't be done through pictures or the internet, only sitting in the seat and going through the gears.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
I purchased both the TR and 360 via the Internet from two very reputable factory dealers in Denver and Illinois. The best experience was with Bill Orth at Ferrari of Denver.

Cars were "as spec'd" and problem free. The transactions were absolutely painless.

I received all books, tools, cover, floor mats, etc. Most of all, copies of maintenance logs/papers were sent FedEx in advance for my DD, we arranged independent PPIs; and, a local/trusting FCA member test drove and inspected the cars for me prior to purchase

Good-luck!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Cavalier - I think you have it right.

Bought the 16M Bentley 612 and Mclaren just last week sight unseen and no PPI.

One bit of advice is e-mail all your requests and concerns - have them confirmed in writing vs a casual conversation.

It will also give you a running checklist before you wire in full.

Last note - tell the shipper to thoroughly inspect the car for any damages scratch etc. and have the dealer sign the inspection form which is standard protocol allowing you to point the finger directly in the event there is a problem.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode